U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-13-2013, 08:39 PM
 
3,323 posts, read 5,186,224 times
Reputation: 2359

Advertisements

A new three- dimensional mural is being installed on Fifth and Evans street.

Greenville unveils new building mural - WNCT | 9 On Your Side Greenville NC & Eastern NC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2013, 08:41 PM
 
3,323 posts, read 5,186,224 times
Reputation: 2359
Has anyone noticed Ham's is still standing? Everything except for a few trees and light fixtures have been razed. I wonder if there is any additional planning going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 10:55 PM
 
286 posts, read 552,891 times
Reputation: 172
There are reversible lanes going to/from the PNC Arena in Raleigh, which is a perfect situation for them. They can work quite well in the right place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 10:57 PM
 
286 posts, read 552,891 times
Reputation: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Has anyone noticed Ham's is still standing? Everything except for a few trees and light fixtures have been razed. I wonder if there is any additional planning going on.
Been wondering this myself

I can see Ham's being integrated into the new development. It is a pretty looking building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 11:27 PM
 
1,674 posts, read 2,041,419 times
Reputation: 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Has anyone noticed Ham's is still standing? Everything except for a few trees and light fixtures have been razed. I wonder if there is any additional planning going on.
I saw a very small crew of guys in there last week. There were casually taking off door plates and such. It may be a case of having more to salvage than the apartments, or possibly a matter of scheduling the job by the contractor. We'll find out soon enough, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 11:34 PM
 
3,286 posts, read 5,436,304 times
Reputation: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
There are reversible lanes going to/from the PNC Arena in Raleigh, which is a perfect situation for them. They can work quite well in the right place.
Exactly; not every situation is suited for reversible lanes for there may be plenty of traffic going in and out at all times in certain cities but I think its evident that Memorial Drive is backed up on the way to the Medical District in the morning and while leaving the area at rush hour therefore the DOT could attempt to make it almost a limited-access highway during certain hours to help traffic flow easier around the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2013, 02:57 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
2,078 posts, read 5,043,285 times
Reputation: 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I would love for our new Chief to look at this tactic. A 25% decrease in violent crime is very significant.
I don't think you'd see the same 25% decrease here that Springfield did. Part of the reason is the demographics are significantly different between the 2 cities. Greenville also handles public housing in a completely different manner.

Springfield's demographics are 38.8% Hispanic, 36.7% White and 19.6% Black. Greenville's are 54.8% White, 36.7% Black and 3.8% Hispanic.

In the Northeast they tend to group all public housing together. As you saw in the video, the housing unit was a 10 to 12 story tall building that is all public housing. That is the norm in the Northeast. Greenville does have it's fair share of Section 8 housing but it is spread out over a much larger area which makes it difficult for gangs to take control over an area like was referenced in CBS's story.

And outside of Greenville's small Hispanic population, people generally aren't afraid to call the police if something obvious is going on. Latinos have a distrust of the police and tend not to call for assistance. If Greenville had a large Hispanic population then this type of policing would probably help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2013, 07:30 AM
 
232 posts, read 398,416 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I don't think you'd see the same 25% decrease here that Springfield did. Part of the reason is the demographics are significantly different between the 2 cities. Greenville also handles public housing in a completely different manner.

Springfield's demographics are 38.8% Hispanic, 36.7% White and 19.6% Black. Greenville's are 54.8% White, 36.7% Black and 3.8% Hispanic.

In the Northeast they tend to group all public housing together. As you saw in the video, the housing unit was a 10 to 12 story tall building that is all public housing. That is the norm in the Northeast. Greenville does have it's fair share of Section 8 housing but it is spread out over a much larger area which makes it difficult for gangs to take control over an area like was referenced in CBS's story.

And outside of Greenville's small Hispanic population, people generally aren't afraid to call the police if something obvious is going on. Latinos have a distrust of the police and tend not to call for assistance. If Greenville had a large Hispanic population then this type of policing would probably help.
I also don't think Greenville has the manpower to implement something like this. Massachusetts has state police to assist local law enforcement. North Carolina Highway Patrol does not generally perform these duties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2013, 09:45 AM
 
1,021 posts, read 1,004,031 times
Reputation: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Exactly; not every situation is suited for reversible lanes for there may be plenty of traffic going in and out at all times in certain cities but I think its evident that Memorial Drive is backed up on the way to the Medical District in the morning and while leaving the area at rush hour therefore the DOT could attempt to make it almost a limited-access highway during certain hours to help traffic flow easier around the city.
Why should the DOT try to make Memorial a limited-access highway during certain times , when it can just build one a mile and a half west of Memorial? I understand that you don't want the sprawl and have it turn into a quagmire, but this bypass is needed. Some sort of limited access highway is needed to alleviate traffic on Memorial. The highway will allow traffic to flow continuously at 55-70 miles an hour instead of having stop and go traffic that causes so many issues.

Jacksonville, Wilmington, Goldsboro, and New Bern all have limited access highways running through or around their most congested areas to alleviate traffic. I don't see how or why Greenville should be any different. Population is not slowing down. Even smaller towns like Washington and Elizabeth City have a highway to bypass their most congested areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2013, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
839 posts, read 1,039,749 times
Reputation: 176
anyone know what is the deal with Wendy's on 10th street? Drove past today & it's gone...sign on building & on pole - gone...either they shut down all of a sudden or they are remodeling? There was a sign on the door but I didn't drive up to read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top