U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 10:08 PM

145 posts, read 221,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
I'd like to see that WilcoHess on 10th close too. Perhaps a future combo gas station/Wendy's could be in the works on or around the 10 & Evans area to compete with the Sheetz; plus to have a new facility for the new 10th St. connector (Although Hess has put their entire retail chain up for sale, so I doubt they're planning anything new for awhile.). It'd be nice to have that whole WilcoHess/bingo parlor area razed and used for something more progressive, like a ballpark or lofts.
Sadly I believe that they won't be building much on that side of the river for a long time because it always seems like they are afraid to build something new over there because it flooded. People need to get over it and realize that the flood was a 100 year type event. Not waste all this land that is just sitting over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 10:12 PM

145 posts, read 221,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Exactly; this is what I was really trying to say. Cancel the South West bypass and just build it to Winterville, eventually connect it to make a 'tight' beltway but still upgrade Memorial to deal withb more traffic. If the new beltway can stay as close to city limits and Winterville as possible, the better. We don't need a highway to connect down to Ayden that will only enhance sprawl but rather a highway that will connect the existing sprawl to the rest of Greenville. Lets take a look at 440 in Raleigh, it doesn't really face backup pains and its already in a area that sprawled, 540 is a different story, it was built on farmlands that ended making Raleigh sprawl all along the route.

Ayden doesn't need to become an area in which Greenville sprawl takes over but rather a bedroom community. Current sprawl follows the route of highways, when we really to make highways follow the route of sprawl. Lets spend the cash to enhance Memorial to deal with all the cars that are going that direction, while also building a beltway around the city as opposed to making a highway to Ayden that will only make Ayden sprawl all the way up to Greenville.

Independence Expressway in Charlotte was built in a similar manor in which I'm proposing, but I'm not asking to build an expressway though but rather a new form of roads that essentially can handle more capacity and is more limited during certain times of the day. And trust me, I understand your frustration with traffic and I understand the need for a new highway but not to the extent that it goes to Ayden.
Exactly what I was trying to say. We do need the bypass but not all the way down to Ayden. It does seem pointless for it to go that far and I can't see any reason that it should. Probably the only reason is that it helps people get to Kinston faster but why can't they just connect it to Hwy 11 closer to Winterville? Hwy 11 is not crowded to the point of stop and go traffic. I wish someone would actually listen to our ideas. But that's the government for ya.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:06 AM

3,287 posts, read 5,437,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
Exactly what I was trying to say. We do need the bypass but not all the way down to Ayden. It does seem pointless for it to go that far and I can't see any reason that it should. Probably the only reason is that it helps people get to Kinston faster but why can't they just connect it to Hwy 11 closer to Winterville? Hwy 11 is not crowded to the point of stop and go traffic. I wish someone would actually listen to our ideas. But that's the government for ya.
Oh ok; my apologizes for not understanding what you were saying at first, it's exam time for me, well there's one left so I haven't had much sleep lately and my reading comprehension has seemed a bit off. Anyways, the state has a bunch of money running on Kinston so to a degree I can understand them wanting to enhance 'their' investment (I quote their because its our money) but in reality Kinston doesn't need a bypass and even with a bypass it probably still will continue its decline. The state isn't really thinking of Greenville with this bypass that's why it's not really going to serve Greenville as much as we want it to. Building a loop around Greenville would be far more effective, while also improving Memorial Drive so that it has a larger capacity.

I wonder if its legal for a municipality to have its own gas tax? If so Greenville or Pitt County as a whole should put its gas tax over the states gas tax, and have its own DOT as opposed to letting the state determine what's best for this area. If possible, Greenville could issue century bonds as well to build highways and fix existing roads because the state obviously doesn't care about Greenville in respects to infrastructure.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:56 AM

1,674 posts, read 2,042,448 times
Quote:
Sadly I believe that they won't be building much on that side of the river for a long time because it always seems like they are afraid to build something new over there because it flooded. People need to get over it and realize that the flood was a 100 year type event. Not waste all this land that is just sitting over there.
For the most part I agree with about the north side of the Greene St bridge, but I was referring to the Hess on 10th & Washington. Not sure how much gas is being sold there, seems like a lot of walk up business from the 11th St area - so basically they're moving mostly beer, cigs and lotto tickets. I'm sure Sheetz on Contanche is thumping them by a wide, wide margin. With the new 10th coming, I'd think Hess would like to be in a better position to capitalize on the increased traffic.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:05 AM

1,674 posts, read 2,042,448 times
CSX Project Expected To End Major Greenville Train Traffic Issues Next Month

The new CSX switching station is scheduled to begin operation on June 7th.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:36 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,044,801 times
The state is catching a lot of heat for the routing of the SW Bypass. The SW Bypass and it's routing is the wants of the Greenville Urban Area Metropolitan Planning Organization. Ayden is inside of the Beltline because Greenville wants it there.

Eventually the building to the east and west of Greenville and Winterville will stop. They will get so far out in those 2 directions that people will find it inconvenient for whatever reason, to live out that far from Greenville. At that point they will start building south out of Winterville and southeast out of Greenville. That's why the beltline seems to go out through seemingly low populated areas of the country. Lowes, Walmart and their developers are also betting that there will be building in that area eventually.

They just want to make sure that the bulk of building is done inside of the beltline. For at least the time being anyway.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:22 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,188,387 times
Quote:
Phil was referring to the Hess on 10th St, at Greene St. Across from the ECU warehouses and near the train tracks.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:38 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,188,387 times
From TDR regarding Wendy's:

"The Wendy's hamburger restaurant at 501 E. 10th St. closed its doors Monday.

"The lease expired and we decided to close it up," said First Sun Management Corporation President Kelly Durham, franchisee of the local Wendy's.

Durham said there are no current plans to open another Wendy's in the East Carolina University area.

There are several other Wendy's locations in Greenville, including restaurants 624 S. Memorial Drive and 1825 E. Arlington Blvd. as well as restaurants adjacent to the Trade/Wilco Hess locations on U.S. 264 East and on Fire Tower Road."

Old 05-15-2013, 01:46 PM

839 posts, read 1,040,031 times
something doesn't seem right about that. If they weren't turning a profit at that Wendy's I have no clue how the others are. It was busy every time I walked in there...minus summer.

I know it's in ECU's masterplan to pretty much own all of those properties on 10th. I wouldn't be surprised to see ECU is purchasing the property..along with that damn Mexican tin can looking place. Then all that would be left is that old ratty Kinkos & Mickey D's. The Kinkos could reopen in one of the new retail spots under that student complex or somewhere else in that area & be fine. Don't know what it will take to get rid of McDonalds.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:02 PM

872 posts, read 1,718,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
something doesn't seem right about that. If they weren't turning a profit at that Wendy's I have no clue how the others are. It was busy every time I walked in there...minus summer.

I know it's in ECU's masterplan to pretty much own all of those properties on 10th. I wouldn't be surprised to see ECU is purchasing the property..along with that damn Mexican tin can looking place. Then all that would be left is that old ratty Kinkos & Mickey D's. The Kinkos could reopen in one of the new retail spots under that student complex or somewhere else in that area & be fine. Don't know what it will take to get rid of McDonalds.
Judging by the photos, that is a very old concept store; age probably had more to do with closing than a lack of business. Usually, a franchisee will not pay for new upfitting in a space that doesn't work very well with newer concepts. I don't know the store, but I work with quite a few Wendy's franchisees and the stores that they have vacated are often outdated is style and size and they find it of no value to re-sign a lease for a store that would require specific upgrades per franchise agreements.
My local Sears did the same thing- they owned there building and had just finished a 20 year ground lease. They weighed the value of upfitting their store and resigning a lease with the potential of the mall and opted to close, selling their store. Many were sad to see the store go and many were aware that the store was a pretty good performer. Before the store had closed, they had already signed a lease in a new site and had a franchise agreement with a local buyer. Sears has done this with most of their older stores, both owned and leased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina