U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 03:01 AM

3,287 posts, read 5,439,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I agree. It will take many incentives for the companies to move their headquarters here. Maybe they could offer a large incentive on land prices with a condition that at least a regional office at least be built in Greenville. I feel like this Solar farm thing will pick up a bit.

Research should be done to identify the latest upcoming technology/fields that will have growth in the future.
it will take time, but at least Greenville is marketing itself as a future business expansion/creation target.
Cloud Computing jobs are the future, how about Greenville attempt to be a one of a kind city and attempt to attract those jobs. The city investing in various technologies such as Solar Bins downtown, or even increased wi-fi presence across the city could go a long way in attracting companies simply because companies like existing infrastructure in place. I've said time and time again on here that Greenville should focus on the Tobacco District more and attempt to make that into a "yuppie" area of the city filled with technological jobs, medical research facilities, and etc. I wouldn't mind talking with Mayor Allen Thomas to discuss these ideas and how they could be implemented in a way to better Greenville.

I live in a city named Silver Spring, MD now that has about the population of Greenville but I'd say its urban population is about the size of Raleigh's and Silver Spring has done truly remarkable things to grow to the extent it has. We've closed off certain roads during certain days or hours to encourage pedestrians to walk, we allow people to park in garages free after certain hours, while our stores are mostly chain, we have many stores that attract people downtown, and etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 07:42 AM

839 posts, read 1,040,413 times
the landscaping at the Portertown Round-a-bout looks a whole lot better.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:03 AM

872 posts, read 1,719,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
I live in a city named Silver Spring, MD now that has about the population of Greenville but I'd say its urban population is about the size of Raleigh's and Silver Spring has done truly remarkable things to grow to the extent it has. We've closed off certain roads during certain days or hours to encourage pedestrians to walk, we allow people to park in garages free after certain hours, while our stores are mostly chain, we have many stores that attract people downtown, and etc.
If you are referring to Silver Spring in Montgomery Cty, it is almost impossible to compare the two localities. Greenville will likely never have the resources that Silver Spring does or the employment base or the density or numerous other qualities. The same would be true for any other small city in the US, unless it was part of a very large metro area. Real estate in Silver Spring might actually be more expensive than anywhere in the entire state outside of beachfront property.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:38 AM

232 posts, read 398,647 times
The "Yerbabuena" restaurant near the convention center seems to being doing well. I've heard a lot of positive reviews. Hopefully something can stay in that location without closing. It's an excellent spot. I'm not sure why so many restaurants have failed there.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:42 AM

I'm no construction expert, but it appears that construction on the parking deck at the new student complex has begun. Some of y'all may know the design plans. It was at the side opposite from where the hill once was. Evans and Reade.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:08 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,190,506 times
Pitt-Greenville Airport breaks ground on project to build 10 new - WNCT

I remember posting about private hangers there. I wonder if they are the 10 built over the summer, or if the ones being built now?

Sounds like the demand in ENC is here, and im glad PGV is racing to fill the void.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:11 PM

It looks like Greenville now has the 45degree angle on Google Maps. That is awesome

http://goo.gl/maps/uWXEc

Old 10-22-2013, 05:12 PM

Did Pitt-Greenville close/decommission one of its runways?

It looks like the former 15/33 is now closed, or whatever it's called. It makes sense. I am sure the money it cost to maintain it, is better spent on keeping the other two fit. I looked around on Google some, but didn't see anything that looked official to me.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Pitt-Greenville Airport breaks ground on project to build 10 new - WNCT

I remember posting about private hangers there. I wonder if they are the 10 built over the summer, or if the ones being built now?

Sounds like the demand in ENC is here, and im glad PGV is racing to fill the void.
Two other reports on the construction:

Another T-Hangar Project Underway At Pitt-Greenville Airport

New hangars to be added to Greenville airport | News - WCTI NewsChannel 12

Old 10-23-2013, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
It looks like Greenville now has the 45degree angle on Google Maps. That is awesome

http://goo.gl/maps/uWXEc
Bing has had this for a while, but the maps are a little outdated. Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

I was looking at the airport with the 45 degree angle option and noticed this. http://goo.gl/maps/GUxQx
Anybody know what that is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina