U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 08:40 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,183,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIR8tes12 View Post
Bing has had this for a while, but the maps are a little outdated. Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

I was looking at the airport with the 45 degree angle option and noticed this. http://goo.gl/maps/GUxQx
Anybody know what that is?
It's owned by the Wooten Corporation. I know they have an Asphalt Plant in another location in Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 10:56 AM

181 posts, read 214,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIR8tes12 View Post
The "Yerbabuena" restaurant near the convention center seems to being doing well. I've heard a lot of positive reviews. Hopefully something can stay in that location without closing. It's an excellent spot. I'm not sure why so many restaurants have failed there.
It's VERY good. Latin, not Mexican, food. It's actually kind of high end, at least for the location and the prices are reasonable.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:32 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
It's VERY good. Latin, not Mexican, food. It's actually kind of high end, at least for the location and the prices are reasonable.
Agree. Very nice place. Been twice so far. Owner came by and sat down during my first visit to chat with the customers. He visited several tables and was very friendly. Food was amazing. Hope they will stay. I try to visit there every other time i'm in Greenville. I highly recommend it!

Old 10-23-2013, 12:15 PM

145 posts, read 221,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Im pretty well acquanted with the pharma/biotech industry and I have to agree. The major players have been contracting from some years now. Especially their R&D, which doesn't bode well in terms of their pipelines. Merk just announced the layoff of 8500 people, some of whom might be working in the Durham and Wilson areas.

Nevertheless, since they seem to be working the efficiency angle, offering incentives for relocating some of their manufacturing to Greenville could be an angle. The manufacturing portion of the business usually employes non-degreed or entry level degreed people. This would also provide opportunities to retain some ECU graduates rather than have them head off to other areas.
I agree, the pharma/biotech industry would be well suited for this area because of Vidant and ECU. The obviously aren't going to locate somewhere without a strong medical base and ECU is a very big plus as well so we just have to offer nice incentives and market Greenville as the perfect place for them and they will come.

Greenville is now in the position that we have a very strong opportunities to get some of these companies to move here. All we need to do is offer incentives and stop waiting for the state to help or for them to just come to us. We will have to go to them and make them an offer if we want them to move to Greenville.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Cloud Computing jobs are the future, how about Greenville attempt to be a one of a kind city and attempt to attract those jobs. The city investing in various technologies such as Solar Bins downtown, or even increased wi-fi presence across the city could go a long way in attracting companies simply because companies like existing infrastructure in place. I've said time and time again on here that Greenville should focus on the Tobacco District more and attempt to make that into a "yuppie" area of the city filled with technological jobs, medical research facilities, and etc. I wouldn't mind talking with Mayor Allen Thomas to discuss these ideas and how they could be implemented in a way to better Greenville.

I live in a city named Silver Spring, MD now that has about the population of Greenville but I'd say its urban population is about the size of Raleigh's and Silver Spring has done truly remarkable things to grow to the extent it has. We've closed off certain roads during certain days or hours to encourage pedestrians to walk, we allow people to park in garages free after certain hours, while our stores are mostly chain, we have many stores that attract people downtown, and etc.
Actually with Pitt county having the advantage of large amounts of land it wouldn't be too bad to try and find ways to possibly attract a technology company that could build a small data center. Maybe it's a little far fetched but Google and Apple do already have a presence in NC. We would need to make sure there would be a strong energy infrastructure in place but I think it could be possible. According to Google's website about their data center in Lenoir they picked it because of the energy infrastructure, the large amount of developable land and their workforce. I'm not saying we could attract a big company like Google or Apple but just saying that it is very possible for a smaller company to consider Greenville, for a data center or just a technology center of some sort, if we provide the right infrastructure.

Whatever companies we try to attract we should certainly be looking for technology companies because that is the main industry driving the future.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:39 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,040,014 times
Everyday for the last couple of weeks I've seen a handful of construction workers at that tin can diner next to Walgreen's across from PCC. Anyone know if they're picking it apart to remove it or if they're getting a new tenant? I can't believe we still have two of these things in the immediate Greenville area (the other directly in front of ECU), but then again we still a couple of trailer parks left in the city limits.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:22 AM

3,285 posts, read 5,434,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
Actually with Pitt county having the advantage of large amounts of land it wouldn't be too bad to try and find ways to possibly attract a technology company that could build a small data center. Maybe it's a little far fetched but Google and Apple do already have a presence in NC. We would need to make sure there would be a strong energy infrastructure in place but I think it could be possible. According to Google's website about their data center in Lenoir they picked it because of the energy infrastructure, the large amount of developable land and their workforce. I'm not saying we could attract a big company like Google or Apple but just saying that it is very possible for a smaller company to consider Greenville, for a data center or just a technology center of some sort, if we provide the right infrastructure.

Whatever companies we try to attract we should certainly be looking for technology companies because that is the main industry driving the future.
Sounds like the City needs to start upgrading infrastructure and finding says to raise revenues. I believe Pitt County credit rating allows for us to borrow about $200 million, we could borrow about $50 million and work alongside the private sector on building new infrastructure; I'm talking burying power lines, making more wi-fi points, updating the traffic software, funding a technology incubator, and whatever else and I guarantee that companies will put their eye on Greenville, hell, if we just put $50 million on the table for pure incentives we would attract a lot of companies to the area. Now of course $50 million in incentives is a lot but you get the point, the city needs to be willing to push things to get where it needs to be.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Sounds like the City needs to start upgrading infrastructure and finding says to raise revenues. I believe Pitt County credit rating allows for us to borrow about $200 million, we could borrow about $50 million and work alongside the private sector on building new infrastructure; I'm talking burying power lines, making more wi-fi points, updating the traffic software, funding a technology incubator, and whatever else and I guarantee that companies will put their eye on Greenville, hell, if we just put $50 million on the table for pure incentives we would attract a lot of companies to the area. Now of course $50 million in incentives is a lot but you get the point, the city needs to be willing to push things to get where it needs to be.
Yeah, you have some really good points here. We definitely have the economic development started downtown (or uptown, whatever) but the main focus now should be upgrading infrastructure so that the new companies we get to move here will already have everything they need. I really would like to see the city working with ECU on trying to get more companies to come because ECU has had a huge influence on the medical industry here but i'd really like to see them branch out and get a new industry started here.

I think the new airport improvements are a very positive thing for the industry growth in Greenville because if you look at RTP they are right near RDU and flying is a very important transportation for companies because no matter how short a trip it actually is no one wants to get off of a flight and then drive about 2 hours from the airport when they need to make a trip to their company's headquarters or office. Once PGV finally gets a good airline with a couple more flights to some major cities then I think we will see a lot more growth.

Anyone know anymore about the new airline at Pitt-Greenville and does anyone know the biggest plane that could fly out of PGV after the new runway expansion?

Old 10-24-2013, 12:55 PM

181 posts, read 214,796 times
Quote:

I agree that we need to upgrade the infrastructure desperately. I'm not sure whether that would be with traffic software or the roads and layout of the roads or all of the above. However, I'm not exactly keen on assuming we need to take advantage of a credit rating and borrow a ton of money to make money. I think most of us can agree that hasn't worked on the federal level at all. First step should be to find out why there isn't enough money from the local taxes to fund lucrative projects for the city. We can't always borrow our way to prosperity, not that was exactly what you were suggesting. I just get a little nervous when people start looking to borrow that kind of money on the tax payers budget.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:57 PM

232 posts, read 398,271 times
Greenville needs to find a way to encourage city transportation. More people on buses equals less cars on the road. I'm not quite sure why transportation other than a car hasn't caught on here. I think there is some stigma attached to using public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina