U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 02:04 PM

3,285 posts, read 5,433,142 times

Advertisements

To raise revenues, I wasn't sure if this was possible, but I thought of if the city could raises its gas-tax? We could offer companies tax-breaks for a certain amount of years to relocate here, and of course we could still improve infrastructure. The only reason I even suggested to use some of that credit limit for was because it's already on the table already considering Greenville may take out a loan to pay for the Southwest bypass and then have the state reimburse the city for the job. I think my opinion on the bypass is fairly public, I don't like it, so I think rather than blowing that cash/credit limit on something that state is going to be for someday, we could use it to improve the community by improving infrastructure and offering incentives for businesses to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 02:37 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,357,134 times
Speaking of transportation...anyone know anything about the NC DOT re-prioritizing the Southwest Bypass?

The NC DOT website on that project is a bit confusing.

Same thing seems to go for the Evans Street widening.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:01 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,040,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Everyday for the last couple of weeks I've seen a handful of construction workers at that tin can diner next to Walgreen's across from PCC. Anyone know if they're picking it apart to remove it or if they're getting a new tenant? I can't believe we still have two of these things in the immediate Greenville area (the other directly in front of ECU), but then again we still a couple of trailer parks left in the city limits.
That "tin can" is not that old. Those types of diners tend to be very successful as that one was before it closed. The format is certainly a welcome departure from the usual fast food looking crap that is everywhere here in Greenville.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:44 AM

872 posts, read 1,716,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post

I think the new airport improvements are a very positive thing for the industry growth in Greenville because if you look at RTP they are right near RDU and flying is a very important transportation for companies because no matter how short a trip it actually is no one wants to get off of a flight and then drive about 2 hours from the airport when they need to make a trip to their company's headquarters or office. Once PGV finally gets a good airline with a couple more flights to some major cities then I think we will see a lot more growth.

Anyone know anymore about the new airline at Pitt-Greenville and does anyone know the biggest plane that could fly out of PGV after the new runway expansion?
Runway length will end up having very little impact on the growth of the Greenville area. Their is little anectdotal eveidence to suggest otherwise, as PGV runway is currently more than adequate for the amount of passengers that could ever want to fly.

Technically, most passenger planes could fly out of or into PGV with the extended runway, and quite a few (737,A319, E-regional jets such as Jet Blue's) could without extending the runway. A great example of just how large a plane could service PGV would be to look at Providence RI's airport. They have regular flights with 757, 737, and 727's- even an occasional A340-300- that is huge- and their runway is the same as PGV's when the extension is completed. Biigest issue for length is usually the Maximum Take-Off Weight and large planes would have restrictions, meaning that they couldn't fly with full fuel, etc. Another example would be Reagan National in DC; same runway length, 19 million passengers. The other issue for an airport is the weight that it can handle. Economic development types like to point to extended runways as being economic engines, but they are not. If that were the case, Kinston would be growing faster than Greenville, with their 11,500 foot runway.

Last edited by sregorat3; 10-25-2013 at 08:52 AM..

Old 10-25-2013, 09:45 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,039,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
That "tin can" is not that old. Those types of diners tend to be very successful as that one was before it closed. The format is certainly a welcome departure from the usual fast food looking crap that is everywhere here in Greenville.
Great location, never been successful, been empty for years. Perception is that these places are dives, so people drive right on by.

WITN's story on the 4th St. parking deck was misleading. Despite the maps they showed, they were saying and showing the apartment complex currently under construction.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:28 PM

145 posts, read 221,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Runway length will end up having very little impact on the growth of the Greenville area. Their is little anectdotal eveidence to suggest otherwise, as PGV runway is currently more than adequate for the amount of passengers that could ever want to fly.

Technically, most passenger planes could fly out of or into PGV with the extended runway, and quite a few (737,A319, E-regional jets such as Jet Blue's) could without extending the runway. A great example of just how large a plane could service PGV would be to look at Providence RI's airport. They have regular flights with 757, 737, and 727's- even an occasional A340-300- that is huge- and their runway is the same as PGV's when the extension is completed. Biigest issue for length is usually the Maximum Take-Off Weight and large planes would have restrictions, meaning that they couldn't fly with full fuel, etc. Another example would be Reagan National in DC; same runway length, 19 million passengers. The other issue for an airport is the weight that it can handle. Economic development types like to point to extended runways as being economic engines, but they are not. If that were the case, Kinston would be growing faster than Greenville, with their 11,500 foot runway.
Ok thanks. I've been wondering about that. Yeah, I wasn't saying that the runway extension would be a big economic boost just that it would increase the capability for bigger planes to fly out of PGV and recently it has seemed like there has been more airplane traffic at the airport. I do think it could be a deciding factor for a company if they were deciding between Greenville and a city with more flights to different airports but that is just a thought of mine. Hopefully the deal that we heard about in the news a while back will be worked out and we will have a new airline flying out of PGV. I don't think the airport is a huge economic engine but i think it could definitely help somehow.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:42 PM

232 posts, read 398,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Speaking of transportation...anyone know anything about the NC DOT re-prioritizing the Southwest Bypass?

The NC DOT website on that project is a bit confusing.

Same thing seems to go for the Evans Street widening.
Just going off memory, last thing i heard was that Greenville and Pitt county wanted to use local city and county money to speed up the process. I would assume we would borrow the money and be reimbursed by the state at the time of the original project.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:23 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,040,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Great location, never been successful, been empty for years. Perception is that these places are dives, so people drive right on by.
It was a family run restaurant. A tragedy beset the family and they closed it up. It was always busy before it closed. I'd eaten there many times.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:23 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,039,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
It was a family run restaurant. A tragedy beset the family and they closed it up. It was always busy before it closed. I'd eaten there many times.
Great location in a rapidly developing area...been empty for years. Clearly it's a hard sell to investors.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:53 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,357,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIR8tes12 View Post
Just going off memory, last thing i heard was that Greenville and Pitt county wanted to use local city and county money to speed up the process. I would assume we would borrow the money and be reimbursed by the state at the time of the original project.
I do recall that now that you said it...I think it would be worth the money for a project that has been the number 1 priority since the 264 bypass was built in the mid 90's.

Maybe that is why it said it may be re-prioritized. As an urban loop priority city, Greenville needs to keep up with the loops being built in Greensboro, Wilmington, etc...to be sure it is on the map for business re-locations.

If they can move up the Southwest Bypass, Evans widening and have the 10th St connector doen in the next 5 years, it would be a massive transportation transformation in Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina