U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 03:02 PM

3,288 posts, read 5,440,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxbrame View Post
I have to agree with BMORE. Beltways, specifically those that encompass so much undeveloped land is not the answer. The state DOT with the help of Greenville has missed opportunities with the the over-development of Memorial Drive and Greenville Blvd. These were the original bypasses and now slice through the primary commercial corridors. The new development that is stretching further south only undermines the opportunity to reconstruct Memorial Drive or at least preserve it as a low access highway. Despite the costs, the returns would be greater by improving access in developed and redeveloping areas.
I completely agree Cxbrame, I've said it time and time again on this site that Memorial Drive needs to be redeveloped as opposed to building new highways that will only push the traffic on to them. It would be costly, and we can all agree with that but like you said, the returns would be amazing. Memorial Drive is the true back ground of the city and we should be worrying about it because its very well connected to important sectors of the city from the Airport, to the Hospital, to various roads with access to ECU, to Pitt and much more. Of course I'm no engineering genius, nor do I understand the complete mechanics of roads, but I understand numbers and what is and isn't needed and I don't see a Beltway as something that's needed.

I'm not completely opposed to the South West bypass, but I don't believe it should be something that evolves into a beltway nor should it stretch all the way to Ayden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
BMORE- Great article!
Thanks sregorat3! I thought some of you might enjoy this and begin to understand why people such as myself are always pushing for Greenville to do better and not to worry about retail as much as we seem to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 05:27 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,190,506 times
There is "talk", campaign or otherwise discussing the following:

Possible upgrading Port Terminal for easier kayak access. Adding picnic tables here and at the Falkland boat access as well.

Building a Cable Ferry from Town Commons or the Dog Park to River Park North, I assume instead of a bridge.

Other Town Commons Master Plan items "that will bring more traffic Uptown include water taxi/kayak rentals, Sycamore Hill Baptist Church commemoration, interactive fountain, renovated boat ramp, promenade and swings along waterfront, esplanade along river front, better access to the water, and expanded fishing pier with shaded gathering space at the end and permanent rest rooms."

There is still talk about Minor League park with a group of business people and other stakeholders who are determining if this is a feasible economic development project.
----

We'll see what action occurs, if any with those.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:41 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,043,456 times
The former Jericho's/Andy's downtown has an "opening soon" sign on it, but it doesn't say what it will be. The windows are papered, but there is some kind of work being done inside.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:40 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,364,833 times
A stoplight has been removed on Hwy 11 between Kinston and Greenville...at the Dupont plant. One less place where you may have to stop. Would like to see the light removed at Ayden-Grifton High School as well.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:57 AM

839 posts, read 1,040,413 times
Quote:
Possible upgrading Port Terminal for easier kayak access. Adding picnic tables here and at the Falkland boat access as well.

Building a Cable Ferry from Town Commons or the Dog Park to River Park North, I assume instead of a bridge.

Other Town Commons Master Plan items "that will bring more traffic Uptown include water taxi/kayak rentals, Sycamore Hill Baptist Church commemoration, interactive fountain, renovated boat ramp, promenade and swings along waterfront, esplanade along river front, better access to the water, and expanded fishing pier with shaded gathering space at the end and permanent rest rooms."

There is still talk about Minor League park with a group of business people and other stakeholders who are determining if this is a feasible economic development project.
Anything that can link River Park North to the uptown area would be great. I feel like I'd visit with my family more often if we could access it from the Town Commons.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
A stoplight has been removed on Hwy 11 between Kinston and Greenville...at the Dupont plant. One less place where you may have to stop. Would like to see the light removed at Ayden-Grifton High School as well.
Or an even better solution would make it a blinking yellow on Hwy 11, outside of the morning & afternoon school transition.

So it's basically acts as a stop sign for Littlefield Road (where Ayden-Grifton High School is), outside of 8-9am and 3-4pm on weekdays, where it is a normal stoplight.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Anything that can link River Park North to the uptown area would be great. I feel like I'd visit with my family more often if we could access it from the Town Commons.
I am the same way. I love the South Tar River Greenway, and I like going to RPN. But it is too much of a hassle to pack up and drive to Mumford Road.

I am sure attendance would shoot up with access on the southern side.

Or even constructing an actual trail, from the Green St bridge to the riverfront trail. That would work for runners, and other walkers in the near time.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:24 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,364,833 times
The commercial strip center on 14th St at Farmville Blvd (adjacent to Sadie Sauter Elem school) was being demolished today as part of the 10th St Connector project.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:00 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,005,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The commercial strip center on 14th St at Farmville Blvd (adjacent to Sadie Sauter Elem school) was being demolished today as part of the 10th St Connector project.
That is great news! How much is being demolished? Is that store on the corner of that strip being demolished?

Old 11-05-2013, 02:34 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,047,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
That is great news! How much is being demolished? Is that store on the corner of that strip being demolished?
The store at the south end of that strip center was gone last week. This entryway is going to be the pride and joy of Greenville, those buildings had to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina