Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2013, 02:28 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,633 times

Advertisements

From WITN:

Quote:
State officials say U.S. 64 between Interstate 440 in Raleigh and Interstate 95 near Rocky Mount has been added to the future Interstate Highway System.

Gov. Pat McCrory and N.C. Transportation Secretary Tony Tata announced the addition at a meeting of the Regional Transportation Alliance in Cary.

McCrory told the meeting that the designation is critical to further economic development in the region.

The section of U.S. 64 between I-440 and I-540 currently meets interstate standards and will be signed as I-495. The remaining stretch between I-540 and I-95 will be signed as Future I-495 until the N.C. Department of Transportation widens the inside and outside shoulders to meet interstate standards. That work will be done as part of future reconstruction activities along the route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 08:32 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,764,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Saw this today on an ECU message board:

"[SIZE=2]Alumni Association announces plans [/SIZE][SIZE=2]for a new Alumni Center to be built on Reade St. The announcement was made last night at a reception at the Governor's Mansion. It is a proposed 33,000 square foot multi functional facility. The building will give the university a 13,500 sf conference center, something I believe it has needed for years. The school currently does not have anywhere to hold conferences on campus for large
groups other than Wright Auditorium, but it cannot meet the needs of most conferences. It will also include a Hall of Excellence,
Library/History Room, Alumni Lounge and other amenities. I look forward to seeing this center built and serve the alumni of our
great university for years to come."[/SIZE]
It'll be awhile. From WITN:

We're learning more about a proposal for a new East Carolina University alumni center. The ECU Alumni Association board met at the governor's mansion in Raleigh Wednesday to discuss building a new alumni center in Greenville.

ECU officials told us Thursday the proposal is a "big maybe" and will likely not take off for another 15 to 20 years. The current alumni center is at 5th and Biltmore Streets, but if given the go ahead, ECU says, the new facility will be built at 4th and Reade Streets in downtown Greenville.

"What we're looking to do is build an alumni conference center, a place where the university can celebrate all of our milestones, whether it's reunions... but the current facility, we can't host events here," said ECU Alumni Association President Paul Clifford.

The potential project is expected to cost an estimated $15 million according to Clifford. Money he says will come from private donors, not the state or the university.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:52 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
It'll be awhile. From WITN:

We're learning more about a proposal for a new East Carolina University alumni center. The ECU Alumni Association board met at the governor's mansion in Raleigh Wednesday to discuss building a new alumni center in Greenville.

ECU officials told us Thursday the proposal is a "big maybe" and will likely not take off for another 15 to 20 years. The current alumni center is at 5th and Biltmore Streets, but if given the go ahead, ECU says, the new facility will be built at 4th and Reade Streets in downtown Greenville.

"What we're looking to do is build an alumni conference center, a place where the university can celebrate all of our milestones, whether it's reunions... but the current facility, we can't host events here," said ECU Alumni Association President Paul Clifford.

The potential project is expected to cost an estimated $15 million according to Clifford. Money he says will come from private donors, not the state or the university.
I don't see why the Board of Governors wouldn't sign off on this project. It is coming from private money. Kind of like the Dowdy-Ficklen southside upper decks receiving the OK from them.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I don't see why the Board of Governors wouldn't sign off on this project. It is coming from private money. Kind of like the Dowdy-Ficklen southside upper decks receiving the OK from them.
Plus it'll certainly cost more than $15M 15-20 years from now. Seems like a long time to deal with a situation that's already problematic. You'd think the AA would be able to do more for the school and community if they had a place to gather and function. Why delay something that could generate funds, especially if it's being privately funded?

Old 12-17-2013, 07:02 PM

Good info about the new Practice Gym for East Carolina's basketball teams.

ECU hopes new practice facility pays off | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Old 12-18-2013, 02:06 AM

The Go-Science Center is running a tv ad. I only caught the end of it, featuring the groundbreaking and the rendering of the building. I assume this is geared towards generating more funds.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:41 PM

Mayor Thomas said today on his Facebook page that a series of announcements are coming in January about a major development. Stay tuned...

Old 12-29-2013, 11:03 AM

Check out this tweet from our Police Chief:

Quote:
Very interesting statistic that holds true for 2010, 11 and 12- 50% of Part 1 crimes occur in only 1.5%(about 22 blocks) in Greenville.

75% of Part 1 crimes occur in only 4.5% (about 65 blocks)
100% of part 1 crimes occur in 20% of our City.
https://twitter.com/chiefaden/status/417287909642096640
Part 1 crimes are reported incidents in two categories: violent and property crimes. Aggravated assault, forcible rape, murder, and robbery are classified as violent while arson, burglary, larceny-theft, and motor vehicle theft are classified as property crimes.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:30 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Check out this tweet from our Police Chief:

https://twitter.com/chiefaden/status/417287909642096640
Part 1 crimes are reported incidents in two categories: violent and property crimes. Aggravated assault, forcible rape, murder, and robbery are classified as violent while arson, burglary, larceny-theft, and motor vehicle theft are classified as property crimes.
This is a map depicting where the Part 1 crimes have occurred in Greenville since December 31, 2012 through December 30, 2013. Although a Part 1 crime may have only occurred on 20% of city blocks, those blocks are spread out all over the city but... As long as you avoid the area between Arlington and Charles, anywhere south of Greenville Blvd is relatively safe. This has been true for a long time.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:40 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
BTW, the map above depicts the Greenville Mall as being between Charles and East 14th St. The Greenville Mall is actually on the other side of Charles. Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium is also on the wrong side of Charles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina