U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-15-2014, 11:13 PM
 
1,964 posts, read 2,552,990 times
Reputation: 1894

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
To expand on this, but hopefully the last word, J.C. Penney plans to close 33 stores across the U.S., cut 2,000 jobs.

J.C. Penney to close 33 stores across the U.S. - Triangle Business Journal
I saw the Kinston location was included in the closures. Didn't mention the Greenville location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2014, 10:04 AM
 
1,019 posts, read 1,002,816 times
Reputation: 367
Switching gears for a moment...Kinston & possibly Greenville related.

I saw an article regarding minor league baseball moves...Apparently, Columbia, SC is coming close to getting a real minor league team.

Batting Around: Stars on the move | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

Quote:
Columbia, S.C., is the second-biggest market in the country without a professional sports team (after Tucson, whose Triple-A franchise has moved to El Paso), but that could change as early as 2015. At a City Council meeting on Jan. 7, consultants hired by the city presented a Minor League Baseball feasibility study. Based on geographical considerations, this as-of-now theoretical team would compete in either the Carolina or South Atlantic League. From Columbia television station WIS-TV:

The study was done by Brailsford & Dunlavey, whose firm has worked with more than 125 governmental entities on sports venues. ... Analyst Jason Thompson with Brailsford & Dunlavey said the Columbia market can support a Minor League baseball team. But the city would have to lure an existing team to town. An 8,000 seat stadium would cost an estimated $42 million.

Columbia's Minor League Baseball aspirations have the enthusiastic backing of Jason Freier, who owns both the Fort Wayne TinCaps and Savannah Sand Gnats. According to South Carolina's The State newspaper, Freier has guaranteed that, if the city musters the funding for a ballpark, he would be able to bring a team there. Columbia last fielded a Minor League team in the form of the SAL's Capital City Bombers, who relocated to Greenville, S.C., following the 2004 campaign.
Columbia, SC already has a Coastal Plains League team, and I"m assuming that if they got an MiLB team, the CPL would have to move. Could Greenville or Kinston use this to jump at the chance to get a CPL team? it would mean a lot to both cities. I believe Greenville could lobby to get a CPL team to "test" out the waters. Kinston would be a great fit since they already have a stadium.

Just putting it out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
839 posts, read 1,039,165 times
Reputation: 176
Kinston has no business with a ball team any longer. That town is horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 08:22 AM
 
3,321 posts, read 5,182,656 times
Reputation: 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Switching gears for a moment...Kinston & possibly Greenville related.

I saw an article regarding minor league baseball moves...Apparently, Columbia, SC is coming close to getting a real minor league team.

Batting Around: Stars on the move | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball



Columbia, SC already has a Coastal Plains League team, and I"m assuming that if they got an MiLB team, the CPL would have to move. Could Greenville or Kinston use this to jump at the chance to get a CPL team? it would mean a lot to both cities. I believe Greenville could lobby to get a CPL team to "test" out the waters. Kinston would be a great fit since they already have a stadium.

Just putting it out there!
A Coastal Plains League team would be a perfect starting (again) point for Greenville. Other multiple Eastern NC cities/towns have a team (Wilson, Edenton, Morehead City, Wilmington, Fayetteville), which would help instantly create a rivalry.

Plus there would be almost zero overlap for ECU baseball fans. ECU's regular season ends on May 17, conference championship on May 25. The first game of the season for CPL is May 27. Obviously, because this is a college summer league.

This would bring "something else" to do for students, young professionals, and families during the summer.
__________________

As for Kinston, I hope hope hope they do not get a team. No one would ever go back there for a ball game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 08:24 AM
 
3,321 posts, read 5,182,656 times
Reputation: 2359
I found another forum that is Greenville specific, but discusses local HDTV Info and reception. And it seems to be fairly active.
Greenville, NC - HDTV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 09:28 AM
 
1,019 posts, read 1,002,816 times
Reputation: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
A Coastal Plains League team would be a perfect starting (again) point for Greenville. Other multiple Eastern NC cities/towns have a team (Wilson, Edenton, Morehead City, Wilmington, Fayetteville), which would help instantly create a rivalry.

Plus there would be almost zero overlap for ECU baseball fans. ECU's regular season ends on May 17, conference championship on May 25. The first game of the season for CPL is May 27. Obviously, because this is a college summer league.

This would bring "something else" to do for students, young professionals, and families during the summer.
__________________

As for Kinston, I hope hope hope they do not get a team. No one would ever go back there for a ball game.
I agree with you Boj, 100%!

If Greenville can come up with a 2-2500 seat stadium downtown, that would be ideal.


Apparently, the CPL is expanding with a team in Holly Springs. It's a new stadium that will be part of a larger recreational facility for that area.




If we can't get anything downtown, I still think a model such as this (stadium with a baseball/soccer/football/lacrosse field would be a good fit somewhere else in Greenville. Maybe not with the other soccer fields or tennis courts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 04:51 PM
 
3,321 posts, read 5,182,656 times
Reputation: 2359
Read this on another board:

Quote:
Owners of Katsuri Indian by the Hospital are opening a british pub in the old local yogurt
location. Should be open in a few weeks.

FYI Owner is from England and didn't like the fact that Greenville doesn't have a decent pub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 04:58 PM
 
3,321 posts, read 5,182,656 times
Reputation: 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I agree with you Boj, 100%!

If Greenville can come up with a 2-2500 seat stadium downtown, that would be ideal.


Apparently, the CPL is expanding with a team in Holly Springs. It's a new stadium that will be part of a larger recreational facility for that area.




If we can't get anything downtown, I still think a model such as this (stadium with a baseball/soccer/football/lacrosse field would be a good fit somewhere else in Greenville. Maybe not with the other soccer fields or tennis courts.
For me, I think the two ideal areas would be either on the Town Commons or directly north of the future 10th St bridge, south of Dickinson Ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
1,070 posts, read 983,453 times
Reputation: 586
Chipotle is apparently going to have a fairly elaborate outdoor dining area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2014, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
2,078 posts, read 5,040,450 times
Reputation: 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I found another forum that is Greenville specific, but discusses local HDTV Info and reception. And it seems to be fairly active.
You see my name over there on some older posts. It was a more relevant place to be back when the stations were transitioning to all digital. Now the only thing they are expecting is when Ch. 9 goes full HD. They talk about TV antennas and what Directv is offering this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top