U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 06:34 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,185,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
I figured that it was natural... like areas that have dark water due to tannins (i.e. Boundary Waters in MN).
I was thinking erosion, because that is what usually muddies up water where I live; I also wondered if it had something to do with the large upstream impounds that are in the western part of the state. I imagine that variations in water release methods could have an impact.
It is named the TAR River for a reason. Water at its source in the mountains is clear, white-water. Moving towards the coast, it turns to blackwater. Always have, always will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 07:39 PM

For the Android people here, the City has a new App

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....greenville_nc

There is a lot of stuff on it, but the big thing I like is the ability to Request the city's attention for something. Such as Animal issues or potholes. Also you can see what other people have requested and its current status by the City (submitted, completed, etc).

Old 02-06-2014, 07:50 PM

872 posts, read 1,717,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
It is named the TAR River for a reason. Water at its source in the mountains is clear, white-water. Moving towards the coast, it turns to blackwater. Always have, always will.
Not to be contrary, but I was under the impression that the name isn't related to water color. The Tar is not considered a black water river.

Sorry... no more hijacking from me!

Old 02-06-2014, 07:51 PM

68 posts, read 101,607 times
When im at the town common and look into the river i can most of the time see the bottom

Old 02-06-2014, 07:53 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,040,955 times
I noticed the old strip mall on 14th where you turn onto Farmville Blvd. has been demolished, and there is an industrial-sized dumpster sitting in front of the future Go-Science center.

Edit: I just found this on the DR:

Following its co-sponsorship last month of a private rocket launch in Virginia to carry science into space, Greenville's regional science and technology center on Wednesday launched its own project here at home.

The leadership of GO-Science gathered with Executive Director Roger Conner at the organization's site at 729 Dickinson Ave. for the official start of construction of the center's first phase.

This phase of construction will house current and future programming along with the organization's administrative offices, a small store, mixed-use programming space, an innovation design space, and storage for the science kits the organization uses in the community, Conner said.

'There was an energy of excitement among everybody there," he said. "This science center is something we've been working on and talking about for a long time. It's one thing to talk about doing something and another to actually do it."

Construction on the first phase of the facility, which will house more than 15 interactive educational programs, will be completed this summer and will open to the public in fall of 2014, Conner said.

The new facility will enable the GO-Science Center to grow and partner with regional businesses to serve as a hub of STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) education in Eastern North Carolina, he said.

"We've created a blank canvas out of the interior, so when everyone arrived they were stunned at how much space is actually available for what we're doing," Conner said. "Now that everything is cleared out, they can see the potential."

Once Phase One is completed, the designs for Phase Two will be finalized, expanding the facility to the building's footprint, Conner said.

Phase Two will bring online a $2.5 million Challenger Learning Center Space Travel Simulator.

This phase also will include temporary exhibit space to bring interactive exhibits for children and adults to the region, he said.

Phase Three will see additions to the facility to complete a 20,000-square-foot state-of-the-art science and technology museum.

GO-Science is a private, not-for-profit organization that serves more than 20,000 children, adults and teachers annually. It is supported by the direct investment of businesses, individuals, and philanthropic leaders and foundations in the community.

The center also works with local and state government through public-private partnerships to achieve shared goals. Naming opportunities and philanthropic partnerships are still available for the facility, Conner said.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:23 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,040,955 times
Quote:
A few new Businesses are (I am pretty sure 100%) going to the Uptown district.

I believe Game Theory Group is coming. They help improve student-athlete
academic performance and allow coaches to gain valuable insight about a player’s intangible assets. They already have contracts with 30 collegiate athletic departments. From my quick Googling, it seems like they will set up the HQ in Greenville.

Longleaf Brewing is an independent nano-craft brewery looking to locate on Dickinson Avenue in West Greenville where it will base its production operations as well as house a taproom to serve its beer.

The Wright School of Music is a school of music soon to be located in the Hooker Buchanan Building in Uptown Greenville and will provide a wide range of music instruction in violin, viola, cello, bass, piano, percussion, guitar, brass, winds, and voice to individuals and groups.

Fun stuff, hopefully. Looks like good type of businesses in the Uptown area.
From the DR:

A brewery, a software company and a music school each were awarded $15,000 from Greenville’s Redevelopment Commission on Tuesday night as part of the commission’s Small Business Plan Competition.

Greenville’s Small Business Plan Competition was established in 2008 to help stimulate entrepreneurship in the center city and west Greenville redevelopment areas.

Applicants for the most recent cycle included the Game Theory Group, Wright School of Music, Longleaf Brewing, The Closet, GLORY Solutions and Spring Run Market.

Top applicants

Game Theory Group, Longleaf Brewing and Wright School of Music were chosen as the winners by the commission.

The biannual awards, ranging from $15,000 to $30,000, are given to up to four businesses in each area. The competition is open to any existing or start-up small businesses, and submissions are received in July and December.

Businesses can use the grant funds as working capital, to purchase equipment, improve real property, or expand services or products.

To compete, entities must complete a business plan, participate in pre-award business counseling, complete an application, provide backup documentation like profit/loss statements and income tax statements and provide a promissory note (three years deferred).

Game Theory Group, a software company, is looking to locate in the second floor of The East Group office building at 324 Evans St. The business sought and was awarded $15,000 to help expand its business and locate in the redevelopment area.

Game Theory produces software that enables colleges to improve student athlete academic performance and connect them with jobs after their college careers. The software aims to improve student athlete academic performance and allows coaches to gain insight about a player’s intangible assets.

GTG plans to offer its assessment and eLearning solutions for high school athletes. The company has contracts with 30 collegiate athletics departments and provides them with assessment tools to evaluate student-athletes for academic and career interests, as well as leadership and team orientation. GTG, according to staff documents, has helped clients improve GPA, retention and graduation rates. The applicant for Game Theory Group was Vin McCaffrey.

Wright School of Music is a business intending to locate in the Hooker and Buchanan building at 509 Evans St. Applicants John and Carol Wright sought and were awarded $15,000 to help expand their business and locate in the redevelopment area.

Wright School of Music will provide music and voice instruction to students of various ages and will provide instruction in violin, viola, cello, bass, piano, percussion, guitar, brass and wind instruments. The school, according to staff documents, would enhance the community’s focus on art in the urban core.

Longleaf Brewing and applicant Bobby Shultz intend to locate at 703 Dickinson Ave. The company sought $15,000 to help expand the business and move to the redevelopment area. Longleaf, the only winner locating in west Greenville, is an independent “nano-craft” brewery that intends to open a brewery and taproom at the proposed location. The brewery will base its production operations and taproom to serve its beer on Dickinson. The business intends to produce five beers available year-round in the taproom.

The Closet Consignment Boutique, located at 403 S. Washington St., and applicant Paula Chrismon applied for a $15,000 grant to relocate to a location off Fifth Street. The Closet is an upscale designer women’s consignment boutique carrying used and new clothing and accessories. The Closet is looking to expand its space, foot traffic and exposure with a new location.

GLORY Solutions sought a $15,000 award to locate on Evans Street and expand its business. GLORY Solutions is a data processing consulting firm targeted at helping the management of the bail bonds business.

Previous Small Business Plan Competition awards winners include The Scullery, Purple Blossom yoga studio, Tier 2 Technology and Appogee, an Apple computer dealer.

All contest entries must be a for-profit business whose tangible net worth is not in excess of $7.5 million and whose average net income after federal income taxes is not in excess of $2.5 million, according to contest rules.

All applications will receive an initial review, and a winner will be named by the Greenville Redevelopment Commission after all entries are scored on business experience, credit history, revenue projections, employee income and commercial equity. Awards typically are made within 90 days of submission.

The award competition was recognized by former Gov. Beverly Perdue in 2011 for winning the state Small Business Community Award.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:01 PM

1,070 posts, read 984,724 times
Quote:
For the Android people here, the City has a new App

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....greenville_nc

There is a lot of stuff on it, but the big thing I like is the ability to Request the city's attention for something. Such as Animal issues or potholes. Also you can see what other people have requested and its current status by the City (submitted, completed, etc).
On the iTunes App Store too:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gree...770959500?mt=8

Old 02-08-2014, 02:09 PM

The old Physicians East building (I believe that is what it used to be) on Memorial, across from Jilly Lube/Popeyes is getting razed today!

The hospital owns the parcel of land now. I wonder if they are just demoing, or putting something there very soon.

______
I would LOVE to see the rest of that area get "redeveloped". Especially that Doc Guns/Citgo/Car Wash corner.

SOOOOO MUCH potential there.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:38 PM

47 posts, read 77,484 times
I went to Greenville Mall Friday night and noticed the Subway and Hwy 55 restaurants at the Food Court were no longer there and had a wall in front of where they used to be.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:00 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,573 times
^ maybe they'll get something worth a flip in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina