U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 05:52 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,364,833 times

Advertisements

I don't see it that way. It is floodprone property and gives the public great access to the river. The problem is the scale on its borders. It should be surrounded by 5-6 story buildings...not 1-2 story buildings. If it was surrounded by 5-6 story buildings with people in them at night (not just offices during the day) it would turn into a well used area.

As to the size being too big...consider the future in regards on scaling back on public space. Greenville is going to get bigger and that Town Common is a defining feature of Greenville....just like the mall is a defining feature of ECU. The mall at ECU actually isn't as utilized as it once was because student housing keeps getting further and further away from it. The key to the Common is getting people right up next to it. One complex has been built, but a block or so away. The city can work with those banks to see the potential of the area....and those banks can be involved in the redevelopment. Think about it....you have SECU owning a plot, and Bank of American, and Rivers & Associates....all are involved in either development or financing....and then you have ECU owning some, who can also be a developer. Is there a reason the Reade St corridor to be developed by ECU can't include on campus student housing? After Belk is finished there is no place to build student housing on campus, unless the Art Building property is redeveloped on 5th St. Why not put a large building (full service) next to the Common? And they do have in the master plan for a hotel there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 07:34 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,005,562 times
I agree with the last few posts. We need to build up. A couple of mixed use developments with 6-8 floors and maybe one large 8-12 floor building to house banks, financial advisors, attorneys, etc.

I don't think Greenville will ever have a bustling downtown metropolis, but I think if they can get some taller buildings built on 1st Street, it will do wonders for the city.

Also, I don't think the Town commons needs to get smaller. However, one thing that could happen would be to take the portion of the commons near the greene street bridge and build a small arena/civic center. That could host concerts, sporting events, conventions and more.

Last edited by michealbond; 02-18-2014 at 08:01 AM..

Old 02-18-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I agree with the last few posts. We need to build up. A couple of mixed use developments with 6-8 floors and maybe one large 8-12 floor building to house banks, financial advisors, attorneys, etc.

I don't think Greenville will ever have a bustling downtown metropolis, but I think if they can get some taller buildings built on 1st Street, it will do wonders for the city.

Also, I don't think the Town commons needs to get smaller. However, one thing that could happen would be to take the portion of the commons near the greene street bridge and build a small arena/civic center. That could host concerts, sporting events, conventions and more.
ECU has in its plan to replace the existing building at Reade and 1st with a cultural arts center. That could function in the way you proposed without using up Commons property.

And FWIW, I think Greenville's downtown can be a bustling area...it just needs ECU expansion and more mixed use, housing and hotels. It's a relatively small area with geographic features surrounding it and the new 10th St corridor hemming it in on the southside. The key to downtown has always been ECU and its students. Thats why I have been opposed to ECU running buses out to these complexes 5 miles away. Redevelop the interior, like Georgetowne is doing.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:38 PM

145 posts, read 222,058 times
Well actually what I was talking about with the Town Commons wasn't to make it much smaller, I was saying that there should be some restaurant space included in it. I don't think there should be shops and stuff all along the street blocking your view of the Commons, I just think there is definitely more potential for that space other then it being used as green space.

There was a study done on the redesign of the Commons and one of the comments was, "Why can't Greenville have a waterfront like Little Washington?" and it definitely looks like they will try to include a pedestrian bridge at some point in time. Here is a concept that I was trying to explain but I thought it would just be easier to show y'all what I meant.

[IMG][/IMG]

The yellow blocks represent stores and restaurants, the blue represents cultural/art/museum space or multi-use property (basically the same that the city's master plan would use these buildings for.), the green represents medium rise residential condos and the purple represents hotels. The residential condos could have ground floor stores and restaurants to draw more people to that area.

My concept plan would be to have a pedestrian only street behind the restaurants and connecting the two multi-use buildings where they could be outdoor dining and lots of trees along the path. As you can see, there would be walking paths at the end of each road that would be gateways into the commons. There is a improved amphitheatre with plenty of seating.

It would include a river promenade similar to Washington and would also include docks where people could park their boats and then come into downtown for the day and could have spaces for them to rent out. There would be a improved boat ramp and the commons would extend past the old Tar River bridge that is already a pedestrian bridge.

So this is just my opinion on how the town commons should be.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:16 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,005,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
Well actually what I was talking about with the Town Commons wasn't to make it much smaller, I was saying that there should be some restaurant space included in it. I don't think there should be shops and stuff all along the street blocking your view of the Commons, I just think there is definitely more potential for that space other then it being used as green space.

There was a study done on the redesign of the Commons and one of the comments was, "Why can't Greenville have a waterfront like Little Washington?" and it definitely looks like they will try to include a pedestrian bridge at some point in time. Here is a concept that I was trying to explain but I thought it would just be easier to show y'all what I meant.

[IMG][/IMG]

The yellow blocks represent stores and restaurants, the blue represents cultural/art/museum space or multi-use property (basically the same that the city's master plan would use these buildings for.), the green represents medium rise residential condos and the purple represents hotels. The residential condos could have ground floor stores and restaurants to draw more people to that area.

My concept plan would be to have a pedestrian only street behind the restaurants and connecting the two multi-use buildings where they could be outdoor dining and lots of trees along the path. As you can see, there would be walking paths at the end of each road that would be gateways into the commons. There is a improved amphitheatre with plenty of seating.

It would include a river promenade similar to Washington and would also include docks where people could park their boats and then come into downtown for the day and could have spaces for them to rent out. There would be a improved boat ramp and the commons would extend past the old Tar River bridge that is already a pedestrian bridge.

So this is just my opinion on how the town commons should be.
I like this plan. I believe there is some talk of doing most of this by the city. However, I'm not sure what business a hotel would want at the current state of downtown. There needs to be something big to attract people to downtown and a hotel. Using my previous civic center/arena idea on the map, I'd take just a portion of the current Town commons to put it. Maybe this area would be extended enough to make it a baseball stadium. That would certainly bring in a lot of people to that area.

I know it's a flood prone area, so maybe the land could be built up to prevent any flooding.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:32 PM

145 posts, read 222,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I like this plan. I believe there is some talk of doing most of this by the city. However, I'm not sure what business a hotel would want at the current state of downtown. There needs to be something big to attract people to downtown and a hotel. Using my previous civic center/arena idea on the map, I'd take just a portion of the current Town commons to put it. Maybe this area would be extended enough to make it a baseball stadium. That would certainly bring in a lot of people to that area.

I know it's a flood prone area, so maybe the land could be built up to prevent any flooding.
Yeah, Greenville definitely needs a arena of some kind downtown. Seems like every time a band comes to town it's always at a church or a hotel. If Minges was upgraded enough then it would be a good place for concerts but it doesn't even have a decent video screen.

If they built a pedestrian bridge, which is very likely in the near future, to River Park North then there would be an endless amount of green space but there still would be enough on the commons for events and walking paths but that area would be mainly focused on entertainment and access to the river. There needs to be a lot more improvements along the river because right now there is just a walkway and a boat ramp. There should be opportunities for people to "interact" with the river such as a dock or a fishing pier.

I think the reason Greenville has always held back from improving the riverfront is because we all know how much damage flooding has done before. Actually if you look at the flood zones, the town commons is hardly in the flood plain at all. I believe the marshland on the north side of the Tar absorbs a lot of the water and keeps it from flooding.The lower parts obviously are flood prone but the risk is probably just as high as Washington's waterfront. I'm not sure how often the lower parts flood but I would assume that they never reach as far as the road or the city wouldn't even think about building anything new there.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:32 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,190,506 times
Another article on East Carolina Heart Institute

ECU unveils new facility

East Carolina University unveiled its most recent addition to the Health Sciences Campus on Thursday, marrying research and robotic surgical training in a new facility that the school hopes will attract and connect all levels of scientific academia.

The recently revealed fourth floor of the East Carolina Heart Institute at ECU, 115 Heart Drive, was never supposed to happen.

East Carolina Heart Institute Director Dr. W. Randolph Chitwood Jr. said the building originally was slated to have only three floors. Plans to build up the Edward Warren Life Sciences Building fell apart because of funding shortfalls.

Chitwood said ECU needed a basic science research and a new technology training facility, and officials decided adding the extra floor, which now houses the Robotic Surgery Center and the Diabetes and Obesity Institute, was a necessity.

The newly completed floor boasts 37,000 square feet, costing about $10.5 million to finish and will have between 80 and 120 employees.

"This space is designed to attract new faculty, expand funding amongst the present faculty and foster new technologic learning," Chitwood said. "It's been allocated carefully. We've allocated the space carefully only to those who demonstrated continued productivity or new faculty members."

The Diabetes and Obesity Institute, which was kickstarted by a 2007 Golden LEAF grant, has about 50 faculty members from 18 departments at the university who work on basic and clinical research.

Institute Director Darrell Neufer said the new space is designed for researchers at different levels of education to have as much contact as possible, fostering collaboration.

"Our motto is everyone's brain counts, and that's what really fuels research environments," Neufer said.

He said researchers will study all aspects of metabolism at the institute.

The facilities includes a radio isotope room, a cell culture room, a virus room and a mitochondrial phenotyping facility.

"We have more capability to do research on mitochondria than, I think, any lab in the world," Neufer said.

The Robotics Surgery Center, formerly in the Warren Life Sciences Building, houses the only robotic cardiac surgery training facility in the world, according to Brody School of Medicine Director of Surgical Robotics Dr. L. Wiley Nifong.

Nifong said more than 1,400 members of surgical teams from all over the world have come to ECU to train using the equipment for cardiac, gynecologic, urologic and other surgical procedures.

"We're currently in the process of creating a fundamentals of robotic surgery that will serve as a curriculum for surgeons all around the world," he said.

Ron Mitchelson, interim vice chancellor for research and graduate studies, said he is proud the work the centers have already done and look forward to future growth and advancement.

"It fills me with pride when international visitors come here to learn," he said. "It fills me with pride when (National Institutes of Health), (National Science Foundation) and the rest of those funding agencies want to fund our investigators in this facility."

Mitchelson said the new facilities will help address key issues that affect eastern North Carolina.

"The region suffers from too much poverty, too little educational attainment and many disease complexes that goes along with those attributes," he said. "We're here to address those things."

Dr. Paul Cunningham, dean of the Brody School of Medicine, said the completion of the building is the result of hard work and patience.

"I have the greatest confidence they will be successful in creating the benefit and return on the investment at East Carolina University we all need in this institution," Cunningham said. "It will be for the benefit of not just eastern North Carolina but, as I've said before, we can change the world from the banks of the mighty Tar River."

Old 02-18-2014, 09:34 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,043,456 times
Here's what the zoning change request pertaining to old Greenville Produce Co. building on 9th St. was about. So far it's a no go because it's too close to a residence.

Gay club seeks new location after displacement - WNCT

Old 02-19-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
Yeah, Greenville definitely needs a arena of some kind downtown. Seems like every time a band comes to town it's always at a church or a hotel. If Minges was upgraded enough then it would be a good place for concerts but it doesn't even have a decent video screen.

If they built a pedestrian bridge, which is very likely in the near future, to River Park North then there would be an endless amount of green space but there still would be enough on the commons for events and walking paths but that area would be mainly focused on entertainment and access to the river. There needs to be a lot more improvements along the river because right now there is just a walkway and a boat ramp. There should be opportunities for people to "interact" with the river such as a dock or a fishing pier.

I think the reason Greenville has always held back from improving the riverfront is because we all know how much damage flooding has done before. Actually if you look at the flood zones, the town commons is hardly in the flood plain at all. I believe the marshland on the north side of the Tar absorbs a lot of the water and keeps it from flooding.The lower parts obviously are flood prone but the risk is probably just as high as Washington's waterfront. I'm not sure how often the lower parts flood but I would assume that they never reach as far as the road or the city wouldn't even think about building anything new there.
I think selling off any part of the Town Common is putting the cart before the horse. Uptown Greenville and the City Economic Development office should be working on the redevelopment of the adjacent property before talking about the Common property, IMO.

I also like the idea of a ballpark, bigger amphitheater, or other "public" facility on the site...thats why I think any master plan for the site is premature at this point. Lets' see what Greenville can entice across from it and then decide. The picture a few threads back shows the underdevelopment of downtown....it shows me that there are bigger concerns than developing on the Common in the next 10 years.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:56 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,190,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Here's what the zoning change request pertaining to old Greenville Produce Co. building on 9th St. was about. So far it's a no go because it's too close to a residence.

Gay club seeks new location after displacement - WNCT
This is so dumb, not allowing this club to open up. The SINGLE house is only 40 feet from the line. There is also the UNX Building in between the proposed club and this SINGLE house. So this SINGLE house would barely hear anything from it.

Even though ANY club wouldn't be my first choice for a business uptown, I'll take this type of club with its clientele over most other types of clubs. Maybe it would spark further development in the area right around the proposed site.

Another thing is look at the Future Land Use Map. Everything around this area is slated for commercial, NO residential. There are NO plans to keep anything residential around here.

I can't believe this committee is anti-business and anti-redevelopment of Uptown.

This is the 500ft boundary:

The SINGLE house is on the right, UNX is on the left. The proposed club is about....500ft to the left

The City's Future Land Use Plan, showing ONLY Commercial development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina