U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-19-2014, 12:02 PM
 
145 posts, read 221,971 times
Reputation: 32

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I think selling off any part of the Town Common is putting the cart before the horse. Uptown Greenville and the City Economic Development office should be working on the redevelopment of the adjacent property before talking about the Common property, IMO.

I also like the idea of a ballpark, bigger amphitheater, or other "public" facility on the site...thats why I think any master plan for the site is premature at this point. Lets' see what Greenville can entice across from it and then decide. The picture a few threads back shows the underdevelopment of downtown....it shows me that there are bigger concerns than developing on the Common in the next 10 years.
I think the whole reason of it being a master plan is that it doesn't all have to be done at once. I think there is huge potential for the commons but I think you first have to make the commons welcoming and it has to be more then just a park. I think we all can agree that any improvement down there will help but I think there are some parts of the master plan that need to be completed before they can try to get more redevelopment over there. First Street becoming a two lane is a good step in the right direction but I think they need to look into redesigning the waterfront to be more boat friendly and also replace the paths, benches, add lights, etc. At least it is a project that is one of the top priorities for the City right now cause it needs to be addressed.

Obviously the city wants to see that area be redeveloped, as well as many other areas, but i'm sure once the commons is improved then there will be a focus on developing those parking lots. The thing about redevelopment is that the city must do their part to improve their properties so that areas will become attractive for developers. You aren't going to develop land if the area is a dump so there has to be improvements all over before there will be mid rise buildings popping up in random places. It just takes time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2014, 12:11 PM
 
145 posts, read 221,971 times
Reputation: 32
Even though I think there are enough clubs downtown, it still is some kind of development and if that helps bring more businesses to that area then it is welcome. They have just as much right as everyone else to open up there and even if people have differing opinions (like me) on their lifestyle, they still have the right. I think the city just wanted that area to be a club and bar free district since there are already so many in other parts of downtown. But they will probably find some way around it anyhow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2014, 01:00 PM
 
1,674 posts, read 2,041,977 times
Reputation: 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
This is so dumb, not allowing this club to open up. The SINGLE house is only 40 feet from the line. There is also the UNX Building in between the proposed club and this SINGLE house. So this SINGLE house would barely hear anything from it.

Even though ANY club wouldn't be my first choice for a business uptown, I'll take this type of club with its clientele over most other types of clubs. Maybe it would spark further development in the area right around the proposed site.

Another thing is look at the Future Land Use Map. Everything around this area is slated for commercial, NO residential. There are NO plans to keep anything residential around here.

I can't believe this committee is anti-business and anti-redevelopment of Uptown.

This is the 500ft boundary:


The SINGLE house is on the right, UNX is on the left. The proposed club is about....500ft to the left


The City's Future Land Use Plan, showing ONLY Commercial development.
Why are they only concerned with that one house on the corner? There are two more next to it on Washington and at least one more next to it on 9th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2014, 02:10 PM
 
2,401 posts, read 3,361,917 times
Reputation: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
I think the whole reason of it being a master plan is that it doesn't all have to be done at once. I think there is huge potential for the commons but I think you first have to make the commons welcoming and it has to be more then just a park. I think we all can agree that any improvement down there will help but I think there are some parts of the master plan that need to be completed before they can try to get more redevelopment over there. First Street becoming a two lane is a good step in the right direction but I think they need to look into redesigning the waterfront to be more boat friendly and also replace the paths, benches, add lights, etc. At least it is a project that is one of the top priorities for the City right now cause it needs to be addressed.

Obviously the city wants to see that area be redeveloped, as well as many other areas, but i'm sure once the commons is improved then there will be a focus on developing those parking lots. The thing about redevelopment is that the city must do their part to improve their properties so that areas will become attractive for developers. You aren't going to develop land if the area is a dump so there has to be improvements all over before there will be mid rise buildings popping up in random places. It just takes time.
Agreed...a master plan for park improvements or long scale public uses I can support. What I don't support is the idea that you need to sell off part of it for it be used more when there are 1 story buildings across the street. THEY are the reason it is not used more.

Wilmington just paid like $4 mill for some green space on the waterfront...there is no reason to sell off green space in Greenville. Enhance it to the point where developers want to be next to it.

As to the gay club, keep in mind what we have been discussing which is mixed use...so that does have a residential component to it. So all that area in red has residential or will have more residential. I don't see why they can't locate in the Dickinson Ave corridor where there are a number of buildings being underutilized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2014, 06:14 PM
 
3,323 posts, read 5,187,319 times
Reputation: 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Why are they only concerned with that one house on the corner? There are two more next to it on Washington and at least one more next to it on 9th.
I am not sure how the ordinance is written. Is it 500ft from outside wall to outside wall? Or is it from parcel boundary to parcel boundary?

But that one house is 460ft away. The way I've seen everything, all the other houses fall outside of the boundary line. It is just the one house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2014, 09:03 PM
 
3,323 posts, read 5,187,319 times
Reputation: 2359
Pitt-Greenville Airport raising funds for airline bid

A lot is being done to attract a new airline to the Pitt-Greenville Airport, but officials say they're not quite there.

Airport Manager Jerry Vickers says they're in need of money to put a strong incentive package together. With $1-2 million, Vickers says the airport can negotiate a contract strong enough to bring in another major airline.

“Airline recruiting has always been tough, particularly in the smaller markets. But it's probably exponentially tough now because of the cut back in airlines. They've cut seats and retired aircraft, so it makes the environment tougher to take that risk,” Vickers said.

The airport can do other things to lure an airline in like waive fees and discount fuel.

The Airport Board is very interested in luring in another airline. In 2013, the airport had a $98 million impact on the area and bringing in another airline could increase that.

The airport applied for a grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation in August 2013 but weren't successful. Since then, the airport board started pursuing other options more aggressively.

The target date to obtain the funding is by late fall. Vickers says the board is looking to seven of it’s partners to obtain the funding. So far the airport has $600,000. ($450,000 from the airport’s “rainy day” fund and $150,000 from their community partners)

Pitt-Greenville Airport raising funds for airline bid - WNCT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 12:09 AM
 
145 posts, read 221,971 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Pitt-Greenville Airport raising funds for airline bid

A lot is being done to attract a new airline to the Pitt-Greenville Airport, but officials say they're not quite there.

Airport Manager Jerry Vickers says they're in need of money to put a strong incentive package together. With $1-2 million, Vickers says the airport can negotiate a contract strong enough to bring in another major airline.

“Airline recruiting has always been tough, particularly in the smaller markets. But it's probably exponentially tough now because of the cut back in airlines. They've cut seats and retired aircraft, so it makes the environment tougher to take that risk,” Vickers said.

The airport can do other things to lure an airline in like waive fees and discount fuel.

The Airport Board is very interested in luring in another airline. In 2013, the airport had a $98 million impact on the area and bringing in another airline could increase that.

The airport applied for a grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation in August 2013 but weren't successful. Since then, the airport board started pursuing other options more aggressively.

The target date to obtain the funding is by late fall. Vickers says the board is looking to seven of it’s partners to obtain the funding. So far the airport has $600,000. ($450,000 from the airport’s “rainy day” fund and $150,000 from their community partners)

Pitt-Greenville Airport raising funds for airline bid - WNCT
I thought there was supposed to be a new airline coming to PGV last year. I know I heard something about Calvin Mercer talking about it when they were supposed to keep it secret until it was final. Obviously the deal fell through but I wonder why we never heard anything else about it.

Well, that is really good news though. I hope it will bring many more destinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 05:27 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
2,078 posts, read 5,044,040 times
Reputation: 1160
Nevermind, we're getting off topic here. We don't want this thread locked because of something I said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
1,069 posts, read 985,601 times
Reputation: 591
I was out at Lowe's the other day, behind Sears, and noticed this. Gave me a bit of a laugh.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
2,078 posts, read 5,044,040 times
Reputation: 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I was out at Lowe's the other day, behind Sears, and noticed this. Gave me a bit of a laugh.
There are no enclosed malls under construction ANYWHERE in the country and there won't be any for a very long time. All of the malls being built now are like that one with the buildings outdoor and generally separated from one another. Hundreds of enclosed malls have already closed and many more are close to closing. A mall in Wilson just closed and the mall in Kinston is breathing it's last breaths.

As much as a lot of people like to make fun of the Greenville Mall, it is healthy and isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Retailers are finding that they're better off not being in the same buildings as the competition. Big box stores, which have typically been the anchors and main draw for malls, are on the decline. Even the new Walmart in Greenville is smaller than your typical Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top