U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 02:16 PM

1,069 posts, read 986,823 times

Advertisements

Anything has to be better than Food Lion!! At this point it's worth paying the extra money to Harris Teeter or Lowes Foods just to avoid the horrible experience of shopping in a Food Lion. They need a little low price competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 02:54 PM

839 posts, read 1,040,413 times
I also avoid Food Lion stores. Their re-models have not pulled me back in either. My problem is their staff is never kind when I am in the store or have issues. Harris Teeter has a whole different type of employee & it's worth paying extra for that.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:03 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,043,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Anything has to be better than Food Lion!! At this point it's worth paying the extra money to Harris Teeter or Lowes Foods just to avoid the horrible experience of shopping in a Food Lion. They need a little low price competition.
Is that the point? Walmart keeps their employees on the public payroll - on purpose - on top of getting taxpayers to pay for the infrastructure adjustments needed for Walmart to dominate and repress retail workers, a rapidly growing demographic. Walmart has proven that it makes more than just its own workers poor. It has a domino effect to other retailers, small businesses, manufacturers, and taxpayers. At some point the FTC will need to interrupt their business practices, as they did with Standard Oil and Ma Bell.

If you want a better grocer than Food Lion, but cheaper than Harris Teeter, a happy medium is coming to NC in the form of Publix. It'll be a while before they get to Greenville, but in the meantime, we don't need to undermine everyone's economy by letting Walmart dominate our market. You are actually better off with Food Lion until something better comes along. It's not all about a total shopping bill or a shopping experience. The ramifications run deep: More welfare and job loss across the board comes with each and every Walmart. They are 2% of America's total economy. They should pay their people and their healthcare fund more, as well as contribute to their own infrastructure needs. Walmart is the only place where I would not say that any job created is a good thing. McDonald's, Dollar General, et al, do not cause the economic destruction Walmart creates. They really are an economic disaster, except only to their own bottom line.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:48 PM

I love Publix - shop there often in South Carolina. Until we get it though, I will shop at Harris Teeter because of, like jpirate said, the quality and attitude of the employees.

In general I don't shop at Walmart because I don't think the prices are worth getting shot at (although there is the new Walmart). But if other people choose to shop there I don't have a problem with that.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:14 PM

68 posts, read 101,664 times
At least there is a company investing and putting jobs in our city...it will help bring more development around those stores

Old 03-06-2014, 04:24 PM

7 posts, read 6,552 times
Its unfortunate to hear that people have had bad experiences at Food Lion. As an employee for several years, I have watched the company adapt and innovate to try to compete with the likes of Walmart. Their prices are now very close to ours and our store brands are now equal or cheaper. We're working on customer service, I know it can be alot better. What I can say is that our individual stores offer 5 times the full time positions of a Walmart supercenter. Our insurance is much better. And since the recession, our raises and bonuses have increased alot. The point is, I'd rather have 60 employees that are paid decently that 350 employees who can't afford to live on their wages. Otherwise, I love this thread, I've been following it since the beginning, and just decided to register.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:49 PM

Please keep the stores clean, hire people who don't act like they're at a postal counter, and make sure that having items in stock isn't a hit or miss thing. I've just come to expect that if I go to Food Lion for a specific item, they'll probably be out of stock of it.

The 12 Worst Supermarkets In America - Business Insider
There's a reason FL is #9.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPirate7 View Post
At least there is a company investing and putting jobs in our city...it will help bring more development around those stores
Walmart doesn't really add jobs. In the long run, they decrease employment opportunities in retail and manufacturing. When the new Walmart opened last year they hired 500 people. Do you think they still have a roster of 500? More like 275-300 (not to mention job losses at other stores), 80% of whom get less than 25 hours a week, minimum wage, and no health care, which they don't qualify for until two full years of employment. Even then, their healthcare plan is crap - the employee (making $8 per hour or less) pays just over half the premium, therefore they choose taxpayer healthcare. Most companies pay at least 75% of healthcare premiums. Outside of banking and Wall Street, Walmart has THEE racket going in this country. People don't notice - or don't want to notice - because they save a few dollars each time at checkout. We are paying a whole lot more in a lot of other ways and have been for a long time. Until the FTC takes action, the only way to combat it is to not support. Town after town has shot themselves in the foot (or the head) letting Walmart go unchecked.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:20 PM

Is it really better to have those 275-300 people that work at Walmart be unemployed?? I don't see how job growth, of any kind, is bad.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Is it really better to have those 275-300 people that work at Walmart be unemployed?? I don't see how job growth, of any kind, is bad.
They're forcing other companies to follow along. It wasn't that long ago when retail was a career that paid bills and, especially, had benefits. Walmart changed that for the worse. Those 250+ people at each Walmart, in addition to countless other employees at other stores don't have a reason to care if they're working 35 hours, or even 15. They'll be on public assistance either way, and the taxpayers pay better than Walmart.

Walmart is a revenue generator for Walmart only, and they do it at the expense of everybody, whether you work in retail, education, the healthcare industry, or anywhere else. It's like a triple tax: We pay to set Walmart up; Walmart makes tons of profit; and we help Walmart make payroll. Even if you never set foot in Walmart, we all pay them to suppress us. If they had tried to gain the market shares they have with mergers, they would have been shot down by the FTC. Why they let them get away with it by their own creations is beyond me. In the big picture I fail to see the difference. They practice oppressive civic business tactics. To give them more market share is foolish. If 70% or more of all Greenville retail workers end up working at Walmart or under a pay (and benefits) structure similar to Walmart (to compete), they will only be able to shop at Walmart and nowhere else. Walmart does not promote growth, it retards it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina