U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 01:00 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,041,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
If you go here, you can zoom in and see the exact location of the cable in Greenville and the state.
It's interesting that they blew right by Goldsboro and Kinston but stubbed out a line to Winterville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 01:15 PM

1,070 posts, read 983,869 times
I can tell from the map that RST didn't lay this fiber. It's MCNC/NCREN's new ring that was completed in the BTOP project and RST must be leasing strands.

The termination points in Greenville give it away. HP station, Pitt Community College, individual schools, etc. Also the ECU ITCS datacenter building on Cotanche (the old Daily Reflector building) is a termination point. It is also NCREN's Greenville POP. The Firetower Road fiber was laid by MCNC a couple years ago to connect the college to NCREN. Previously they were on a private connection through Embarq/CenturyLink.

If you notice, the Washington branch terminates at Beaufort County Community College.

None of this is bad in any way, I'm actually glad to see this fiber being opened up for public use outside of the normal state/local government agencies, LEAs, libraries, and colleges. It is more in the spirit of what BTOP was meant to do anyway! Just wanted to give everyone a bit of additional info.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:18 PM

1,070 posts, read 983,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
It's interesting that they blew right by Goldsboro and Kinston but stubbed out a line to Winterville?
I am almost certain Goldsboro and Kinston were already served by NCREN and they opted not to run additional fiber under BTOP. Greenville was too, but this new ring was a redundant link laid over what they already leased from Suddenlink. Until now, NCREN was partly transported under contract by Suddenlink and Embarq in eastern NC. Suddenlink did the backbone from Rocky Mount to Greenville and Embarq handled individual links to LEAs and individual schools.

Edited to add: the Farmville branch leads to the WUNK-TV tower on 258 south. UNC-TV's statewide distribution/control point is actually at that transmitter site, believe it or not. It is also a major hub for the law enforcement VIPER radio system.

Last edited by GarnetAndBlack; 03-12-2014 at 01:27 PM..

Old 03-12-2014, 01:26 PM

3,321 posts, read 5,183,240 times
RST using the fiber-optics of NCREN makes complete sense, and correct.

Here is a 7-month old interactive map of the NCREN infrastructure.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:10 PM

145 posts, read 221,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
RST Fiber announced plans to bring 1-gigabit/second service to Raleigh within the next two months. They plan to charge $99/month.

After searching around, I was very surprised to see this company has laid down 3,000-miles of fiber optic cable throughout the state.

If you go here, you can zoom in and see the exact location of the cable in Greenville and the state.

I am VERY INTERESTED to see how long it would take for service to come online in the east.
Yea I saw this article the other day and I was extremely surprised and excited that the cable line runs through Greenville. This is great news because that would be one of the deciding factors if a technology business of some sort wanted to locate in Greenville. Hopefully it won't be long before we receive the service. I'm not able to access the link for some reason to see where it is located in Greenville though. :/

Old 03-17-2014, 07:46 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,268 times
I see that Peppermints Yogurt has closed on Charles Blvd / Firetower. I'm rather surprised to see them suffer through the winter season with warm weather around the corner & just shut down. Seems like the summer is to a yogurt shop what Christmas is it a toy store.

Also, I noticed another mattress store has opened where the old Aaron's used to be on Greenville Blvd. So, now in addition to the Sleepy's mattress store opening in the Target shoping center this one popped up as well. What in the world, is a mattress store the new craze for 2014. How profitable are these places & really, how many does Greenville need, goodness!?!

If you want to eat some Bojangles, then follow it up with some yogurt & finally test sleep on a few mattresses, Greenville is the town for you.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:38 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I see that Peppermints Yogurt has closed on Charles Blvd / Firetower. I'm rather surprised to see them suffer through the winter season with warm weather around the corner & just shut down. Seems like the summer is to a yogurt shop what Christmas is it a toy store.

Also, I noticed another mattress store has opened where the old Aaron's used to be on Greenville Blvd. So, now in addition to the Sleepy's mattress store opening in the Target shoping center this one popped up as well. What in the world, is a mattress store the new craze for 2014. How profitable are these places & really, how many does Greenville need, goodness!?!

If you want to eat some Bojangles, then follow it up with some yogurt & finally test sleep on a few mattresses, Greenville is the town for you.
Its not just Greenville...those three types of establishments are expanding rapidly across the country. Bojangles is setting up shop in many of the small towns that don't have fast food...there are 3-4 new mattress stores in Wilmington, saw a couple in new ones in Jacksonville as well...and the yogurt franchises are cheap small businesses that entrepreneurs are wasting their money on that will never make it long term.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:04 AM

3,321 posts, read 5,183,240 times
I am not sure how updated it stays, but the Pitt County Development Commission has a list of all the dining options in Pitt County. Sometimes it feels like other websites don't stay up to date with the offerings here. This is especially good if you want to see or find something you normally wouldn't go to.

Dining | Pitt County Development Commission | Restaurants, Dining, Cuisine | Pitt County Development Commission

Old 03-17-2014, 01:10 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,019 times
Not just in the east either. Here in Raleigh, there are plenty of these Mattress stores popping up. Last few years, it has been the Froyo shops. Now it's apparently the Mattress shops that are the new "it" thing for the next year or so.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:25 PM

16 posts, read 21,485 times
I know this may not be directly related to are development but thought it was interesting due to previous post that were talking bad about Food Lion.

Temkin Experience ratings for 2014 have come out and Food Lion tied for 5th with Aldi and Sonic drive in. H.E.B was #1 followed by Trader Joe's, Chick-Fil-A and Publix. The survey rates 268 companies for 19 industries. By visiting this website 2014 Temkin Experience Ratings you can "buy" a free listing of how they do their research which companies were involved and the top 58 companies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina