U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 04:25 PM

138 posts, read 142,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
But it's not building for now. They are building it for the potential future. The City has shown it want the downtown area to be a place for all ages and times during the day. Not just for college-aged at night.

Because you start to get into a chicken-or-egg scenario. Developers/business want to set up shop, but won't if there isn't enough good parking. Guess who has the power and who should make the first move? Potential businesses have the power, forcing the city to make the first move.

Parking decks are a very important component to get the ball rolling on downtown revitalization. Twenty years ago downtown Durham was dead. First came the new Durham Bulls ballpark, then came the beginning of the American Tobacco campus which was only built contingent on, I believe two, but at least one parking decks being built. Then came the high end restaurants whose chefs demanded fresh, local food for their menus. Maybe even before the ballpark was the renovation of the Carolina Theater and sometime about twenty years ago the downtown merchants planned and built Durham Central Park.

Do these initiatives should sound familiar to those who are following Greenville's downtown revitalization efforts?

Last edited by GoingLocal; 04-09-2014 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 06:35 PM

182 posts, read 216,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
But it's not building for now. They are building it for the potential future. The City has shown it want the downtown area to be a place for all ages and times during the day. Not just for college-aged at night.

Because you start to get into a chicken-or-egg scenario. Developers/business want to set up shop, but won't if there isn't enough good parking. Guess who has the power and who should make the first move? Potential businesses have the power, forcing the city to make the first move.
Fair point

Old 04-09-2014, 07:37 PM

872 posts, read 1,725,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
Parking decks are a very important component to get the ball rolling on downtown revitalization. Twenty years ago downtown Durham was dead. First came the new Durham Bulls ballpark, then came the beginning of the American Tobacco campus which was only built contingent on, I believe two, but at least one parking decks being built. Then came the high end restaurants whose chefs demanded fresh, local food for their menus. Maybe even before the ballpark was the renovation of the Carolina Theater and sometime about twenty years ago the downtown merchants planned and built Durham Central Park.

Do these initiatives should sound familiar to those who are following Greenville's downtown revitalization efforts?

Very familiar when they involve an urban area in the middle of a 1.5M population CSA. That being said, the population of Durham in 1980 was just a tad over 100k. The following ten years saw a 35% growth rate, as did the decade following. One thing Durham has had going for it for years though, is tax revenues from the hospitality industry; the region has been a destination for years, unlike Greenville.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:31 AM

294 posts, read 274,457 times
Is there any news on the Quad East endeavor? I just came across this update from Jan detailing the potential Kinston Bypass routes. Its states that all northern routes are eliminated. That would appear to be bad sign for the quad...

http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/kinsto...nBypassMap.pdf

Old 04-10-2014, 07:51 AM

2,083 posts, read 5,062,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Is there any news on the Quad East endeavor? I just came across this update from Jan detailing the potential Kinston Bypass routes. Its states that all northern routes are eliminated. That would appear to be bad sign for the quad...

http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/kinsto...nBypassMap.pdf
It is a bad sign for the Quad. One of the major objectives of the loop was to get the Global Transpark into the loop. Otherwise, Kinston really has no reason to support the project. With the State taking all northern routes out of possibility for Kinston, the State is basically saying that they do not have any intention to ever build the Quad Loop.

When the State rewrote the policies regarding how highway funds are spent, they took Eastern NC completely out of the priorities list. Highways will only be built in Eastern Carolina if the project is cheap and the State has extra money. US 264 will not become an Interstate anytime soon.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:09 PM

82 posts, read 98,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The City has that lot on Evans that is adjacent to the proposed deck, is that the potential spot for a hotel, maybe?

The new Courtyard Marriott in downtown Wilmington utilized a very small lot....maybe the same concept is at play in Greenville.
that is supposed to be the new visitor's center. they are moving it out of the convention center to downtown to bring visitors to the downtown area.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:46 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,387,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitrinite View Post
that is supposed to be the new visitor's center. they are moving it out of the convention center to downtown to bring visitors to the downtown area.
I think that project is dead. The idea was to build a 3-story building, but they didnt have a tenant for the ground floor as I recall. The Community Smith folks may be looking to lease the old Elbo site to the visitors center once renovation is complete.

The vacant site on Evans could work as a hotel IF they are able to utilize parking in the deck. It would be THE catalyst for downtown Greenville if that is in the works.

As for Greenville not being a "hospitality" destination...that couldn't be further from the truth. Just last year a new Residence Inn was built. The Hospital & ECU have built in hospitality to them, as do ECU football. Not to mention Greenville has a convention center.

No one likes to discuss finances...and way too often elected officials do nothing because of the price tag, which of course just means you spend more money later. Greenville is trying to build a high end deck, because it will be such a prominent feature. Greenville will be building a deck, the question is whether they do it now...at the price bid, or later at a higher price. The difference is whether you will be able to utilize it now AND take advantage of it to have more. Its an investment...parking downtown can be on surface lots, street parking or a deck...A deck allows development on surface lots and wider sidewalks for eating/walking, etc..

Old 04-11-2014, 08:13 AM

294 posts, read 274,457 times
Do you really believe a hotel would fit in that lot on Evans? Speaking of the hotel, is there a known site location? If the parking deck is a requirement I have to believe the hotel would be in close proximity, but where could that be?

Greenville's on the cusp of a quality Uptown area, I hope no one undermines it.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:42 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,013,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Do you really believe a hotel would fit in that lot on Evans? Speaking of the hotel, is there a known site location? If the parking deck is a requirement I have to believe the hotel would be in close proximity, but where could that be?

Greenville's on the cusp of a quality Uptown area, I hope no one undermines it.

Excellent Question. The parking deck is going to be at the corner of 4th and cotanche...so here's a reference point for us.

The Parking Deck is in green. The yellow outline indicates a potential hotel site, but it's currently too small to be that. There is an ECU building right beside it in that block, but I'm not sure if they would move.

The better location would be the red outlined area. It's a much bigger space. Go-Science center is currently there, but since they are moving, that area could be cleared. There is a small portion that is an ECU building (I've filled that in with red) but the lot is large enough the ECU building doesn't necessarily have to move. Maybe even enough space to put some retail/commercial spots next to/underneath the hotel. I would think almost any 2.5 or 3-star hotel would be good at this point. I hope they can get some convention space inside the hotel so that small conventions/business meetings can be held. This would be great. We just gotta get this parking deck started.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:58 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,054,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Excellent Question. The parking deck is going to be at the corner of 4th and cotanche...so here's a reference point for us.

The Parking Deck is in green. The yellow outline indicates a potential hotel site, but it's currently too small to be that. There is an ECU building right beside it in that block, but I'm not sure if they would move.

The better location would be the red outlined area. It's a much bigger space. Go-Science center is currently there, but since they are moving, that area could be cleared. There is a small portion that is an ECU building (I've filled that in with red) but the lot is large enough the ECU building doesn't necessarily have to move. Maybe even enough space to put some retail/commercial spots next to/underneath the hotel. I would think almost any 2.5 or 3-star hotel would be good at this point. I hope they can get some convention space inside the hotel so that small conventions/business meetings can be held. This would be great. We just gotta get this parking deck started.
That yellow area is for sale, though currently occupied. There's also the empty lot across from the deck on 4th & Cotanche, so perhaps an L-shaped hotel could be built between Evans & Cotanche on 4th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina