U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 06:01 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,042,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Spending just over a million on this project, but is privately funded.
Forgot the link about the Chancellor's residence...

ECU To Spend $1.16 Million To Expand Chancellor's Residence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 12:00 PM

181 posts, read 215,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
The new sidewalks/bike lanes are a great addition to campus. It would be nice to see the others that have been planned completed soon, but with the way funding is now, it may take a number of years before that happens. One thing I don't understand is why there is a trash receptacle and a bench in the middle of the bike lanes.
I assume it's to prevent people from driving motorized vehicles on the paths.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:38 PM

36 posts, read 53,677 times
Saw channel 9 news reporting that Burlington Coat Factory is going into the old Home Depot bld!

Old 05-22-2014, 05:53 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,189,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
I assume it's to prevent people from driving motorized vehicles on the paths.
Thats exactly the reason. But they can be easily removed for Emergency vehicles.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:39 PM

145 posts, read 222,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
Thanks for the photos Phil. They're great! Photo updates for folks who don't live in the area are always welcomed. Any chance of some updated photos of the Taft project on Evans and Reade Circle? Or, does anyone know if there is a construction cam for that project? Many, if not most, projects have them today.

The new sidewalks/bike lanes are a great addition to campus. It would be nice to see the others that have been planned completed soon, but with the way funding is now, it may take a number of years before that happens. One thing I don't understand is why there is a trash receptacle and a bench in the middle of the bike lanes.
Yea I noticed that bench and trash can in that last picture... better be looking where your going if your gonna ride a bike around ECU on those bike lanes, might run into a trash can. They already have posts to prevent cars from driving on the sidewalks. But anyhow, I really like the new paths and bike lanes.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:37 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,042,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecusmitty View Post
Saw channel 9 news reporting that Burlington Coat Factory is going into the old Home Depot bld!
Burlington Coat Factory opening in Greenville - WNCT

Old 05-23-2014, 03:17 AM

208 posts, read 325,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollabackmjjd View Post
Burlington coat factory looking at home Depot building.
My sources were correct! My old post on 5/3

Old 05-23-2014, 06:57 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,189,357 times
The Census came out with new numbers Thursday. Greenville has an estimated 89,130 as of July 1, 2013. That puts us 347 in the US, and 10th in North Carolina.

2012 - 87,834
2011 - 86,328
2010 - 84,990

Old 05-23-2014, 07:07 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,363,912 times
From that WNCT article...

Rees says more is to come. “Probably in the next year and a half, we may reach between 150,000 to 200,000 square feet of new retail that will come in and fill empty and brand new spaces."

And then he goes on to say that he is selling the Greenville (and I assume regional) market.

Certainly Greenville is expanding its shopping/dining options. Thing is though, I think they need to think even "bigger" than they are now. Costco has been mentioned several times here...that's a big fish. Home Depot didn't work because of its location directly next to Lowe's. I was in Elon the other day and stopped at Alamance Crossing...was amazed at the stores they had...a Dillard's, Qdoba, Red Robin, Red Bowl, Hobby Lobby (mentioned here), Coldwater Creek, and Brixx....none of which (to my knowledge at least) are in Greenville. Home Depot could work at the corner of Arlington and Firetower (next to the movie theater). Costco could be right next to Burlington Coat Factory....Dillards and some others could be in the Freshmarket complex. Hobby Lobby, Trader Joe's etc...could be in the Carolina East spot. Wilmington has a HH Gregg and World Market, Pottery Barn and Banana Republic....why not those in Greenville?

I think if you can get these type of retailers, folks will take Greenville more seriously from a national perspective (to live, work and play). There is no reason that Greenville can't be THE regional destination....that folks from New Bern, Kinston, among others will come there to shop. I guess my point is that there is a long way to go besides just filling existing vacant spaces with Mattress Stores, Pet places, and Burlington. It needs to be more higher end or high profile retailers. A 2nd Wal-Mart is good and all, but it does nothing to put Greenville on people's map.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:52 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,005,164 times
HP,

Agree completely with your thoughts. I'm sure that the folks in charge of getting businesses to come here are working feverishly to get places like HH Gregg, Brixx, and all the other stores you mention to come here. 150,000 - 200,000 sq ft of space seems like a very good thing that is coming. It all takes time, but I think they will get it there. Sometimes you need to secure the "smaller" fish in order to hook a big fish (like Costco or BJ's)

A new Target in town is on my wishlist. Nothing close to a Super Target (if they even make those anymore), but a larger, updated store would be much better.

There is a lot of land behind the old Carolina East Mall that hasn't been developed yet. There is another large parcel of land on Firetower Road behind the actual firetower that still has not been developed. Every time I drive past that plot of land, there's always dirt being pushed around like they are preparing to get it ready for commercial or residential development.

Very good news on the Burlington Coat Factory. I don't normally shop there, but my mother called me last night so excited about it. Awesome news about the census numbers. I would venture to guess that we are at or very close to 90k right now. So in a 5 year span, 5,000 people have joined the city. That's a lot of growth. That of course doesn't count the folks in Winterville or Farmville or Ayden that are in a 15 mile radius. who knows what these numbers will look like 5 years from now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina