U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2014, 01:50 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitrinite View Post
Does anyone know if they plan on putting any other kind of parking around the Georgetown Project other than the parking deck for residents? It just seems like if they want to tie this in to Uptown they'd have a little more parking for the public in order to easily access the shops and restaurants they plan on putting there.

I would imagine a good idea would be to move Marathon and Thai 360 over to the project and use those lots as parking lots. I realize Five Points isn't that far but I would assume that it'd turn people off not being able to park closer.
Having Marathon and the Thai place move would be good, but we don't know if those businesses would be willing/able to move over there. If they do move, I wouldn't mind seeing another mixed use 3-6 story building there.

Another thing that has bothered me with Greenville is...It's not green!! There are very few places in the city with trees. Every time something is built, it's cleared completely off, then maybe a couple of trees or shrubs will be planted. The fairly new Regency Blvd has little to no shrubbery or trees planted. Even many of our parks only feature large open fields. We need another round of tree planting in the city. And what does everyone think of a botanical garden or larger arboretum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 03:36 PM

29 posts, read 27,943 times
The Moseley Lot, where the new 4th Street parking deck is going, is closing for construction on Friday. I didn't realize they were starting so soon.

There is also going to be a Merchant's meeting on June 2nd at the Tipsey Teapot. They will talk about the construction timeline and give a design update among other items on the agenda.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:37 PM

1,070 posts, read 983,869 times
I just stayed at the new Marriott Courtyard in Wilmington last week. After seeing that I'm convinced you can put a hotel pretty much anywhere you want to.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:25 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,268 times
Quote:
I just stayed at the new Marriott Courtyard in Wilmington last week

This one? I'd love to see something like this in downtown Greenville. Talking about completely changing the appearance of downtown. Something like this & the parking deck = Awesome!

Old 05-29-2014, 09:00 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,037 times
I referenced that awhile back....it was a small parking lot on the corner prior to...and IMO is a perfect example of what could be downtown. I believe there is some on site parking...but there is also a large city deck across the street.

When someone mentioned Greenville needing the deck to support the hotel, this is a great example. I wonder if this developer is looking at Greenville.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:47 AM

1,070 posts, read 983,869 times
Yup that's the one. There is no on site parking other than three 10 minute spaces for unloading luggage. In that pic they are inside the arches on the far right corner of the hotel. We had to park across the street in the New Hanover County deck, but the hotel gave us a key card that made the parking free.

Should get plenty of business... the riverfront Hilton is ancient and shows its age very badly when staying there.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:35 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,019 times
Here's a little from WITN about the downtown deck starting:

Quote:
A local parking lot will be closed for construction, clearing the way for a new deck starting Friday.

The Moseley Parking Lot at the corner of Fourth and Cotanche Streets in Greenville will close 5 p.m. Friday for construction of the new Uptown Parking Deck.

This will be Greenville's first parking deck.

Construction crews estimate the new deck will be set to open by December.

I didn't realize it would take only 6 months to complete. I know the Georgetown deck is going up within a matter of months, but since this was a city project, I expected it to take much longer! The transformation of downtown Greenville is closer than we think!! This will be a great addition to downtown. It bothers me when people are so negative towards this deck being built.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:35 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,037 times
All you have to do is look up to see what building a deck can do. Wilmington/New Hanover County completed a few decks 5-7 years ago...and its led to significant private investment in multiple areas of downtown.

Bottom line is you can't wait for an overflow of demand to provide adequate parking. Parking in a downtown area is really the responsibility of the municipality, and a deck reduces the need for other parking areas. The Umbrella lot is nice, but is really better off used as an event space (I always wanted it to be an urban park...Five Points Park...in a town square type setting). Greenville doesnt really have much on street parking because the streets are tight, so a deck always made sense...its just 20 years later than it should have been.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:00 AM

293 posts, read 270,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Having Marathon and the Thai place move would be good, but we don't know if those businesses would be willing/able to move over there. If they do move, I wouldn't mind seeing another mixed use 3-6 story building there.

Another thing that has bothered me with Greenville is...It's not green!! There are very few places in the city with trees. Every time something is built, it's cleared completely off, then maybe a couple of trees or shrubs will be planted. The fairly new Regency Blvd has little to no shrubbery or trees planted. Even many of our parks only feature large open fields. We need another round of tree planting in the city. And what does everyone think of a botanical garden or larger arboretum?

Marathon has an asking price and its take it or leave. The owners of the Thai 360 lot have turned down several large offers but if someone really wanted it I think they could get it for the right price. That area would be a great location for development. The chemical company in the warehouse also has an asking price that is take it or leave. I've often thought refurbishing that into some housing and something similar to Pittsburg's Strip district would be fantastic.

Keep the ball rolling and investors will come. There is good, if not great energy, in UpTown now. Keep pushing!

Old 05-30-2014, 12:35 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,183,240 times
Everything on Farmville Blvd is gone! And it looks like they are moving the power lines further over. I wish they were burying them though.

If you're not in Greenville, but want to see changes, take Stantonsburg, Farmville, 14th, Dickinson, 10th, Evans. You'll see all the construction going on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina