Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 11:31 AM

451 posts, read 1,914,091 times

Advertisements

There have been rumors of TGI Fridays coming here for a while now. Still haven't heard of any concrete plans for them to come here, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 09:30 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,536 times
I haven't heard of anything either way

Old 09-19-2010, 03:10 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times
As much as we'd like to have every retailer on the face of the Earth here in Greenville, it ain't gonna happen. I would personally like to see less Bogangles and more Popeyes, some real competiton for Best Buy, some serious riverfront developement and a Pepboys.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:16 AM

True, this area is too small to support much true high end retail. I would like to see HH Gregg come to town to compete with Best Buy as well. Obviously, with the economy the way it is, development has slowed anyway.

When Greenville hits 100,000 in population, more chains will look into the area.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
As much as we'd like to have every retailer on the face of the Earth here in Greenville, it ain't gonna happen. I would personally like to see less Bogangles and more Popeyes, some real competiton for Best Buy, some serious riverfront developement and a Pepboys.

The City Council is in/past the planning stages of redoing the Town Commons on the riverfront. We do need more of a "pull" of retail or whatever on First Street to bring people on that side of downtown.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
The City Council is in/past the planning stages of redoing the Town Commons on the riverfront. We do need more of a "pull" of retail or whatever on First Street to bring people on that side of downtown.
I'm not talking about a park. The people in Greenville don't seem to care about parks. That would require them to walk and that would require them to get up off of the couch.

There is enough water (deep enough) in the Tar River at Greenville to have a marina, waterfront dining and water sports. It is a completely under utilizied asset. There are tons of doctor types here with lots of money to support such an enterprise.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
There is enough water (deep enough) in the Tar River at Greenville to have a marina, waterfront dining and water sports. It is a completely under utilizied asset. There are tons of doctor types here with lots of money to support such an enterprise.
Agreed - I always thought that the Town Common should be divided accommodate commercial use with park space. Putting a nice mixed use development there with green space would be good...however I think the City wants to just have a much upgraded park in that space.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:58 AM

11 posts, read 18,508 times
I agree that the waterfront is under utilized. It would be nice if they could turn the downtown waterfront into something like the San Antonio River Walk. Someone told me that would never happen because of flooding.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:14 AM

Isn't Greenville considered a navigable waterway? Then the Army Corps of Engineers will maintain it. Even though I like the trees, clearing out some would dramatically open the waterway.

I do agree that we need to do more to showcase the river. It ain't much, but it is something to put focus on.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Isn't Greenville considered a navigable waterway? Then the Army Corps of Engineers will maintain it. Even though I like the trees, clearing out some would dramatically open the waterway.

I do agree that we need to do more to showcase the river. It ain't much, but it is something to put focus on.
The Tar River, up to at least Greenville, is under the realm of the Coast Guard, so yes, I suppose the ACOE is responsible for maintenance. There has to be a legitimate need though and as things stand there isn't one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina