Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 06:57 PM

144 posts, read 189,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Stantonsburg Rd. is poorly lit. I hope they have a plan to brighten the way from the entrance of Greenville all the way down 10th. By the way, will there be a re-naming where it's called 10th St. from 264, or will there still be multiple names?
The Mayor said last week on "Live at Five" he was pushing for "Leo Jenkins Way". He didn't say which part of the route that would be, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 06:37 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times

Nice looking parking deck. Glad to see they are going to do it the right way. I can't wait to see how downtown is going to look after all these projects are finished.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:33 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
I like the way the nicest part of the parking deck faces "toward" the river....that's a necessary distinction that uptown needs. Everything is so college oriented, which is fine, but that is part of the reason the river and Town Common is not fully utilized. The key to uptown is to develop in every direction and particularly bring a focus to the river. Obviously the Georgetown Complex is going to be student oriented, but you don't want everything to be student oriented.

As for the "naming" of the new road...they are not changing the 10th St name at ECU, so I don't see why they wouldn't just simplify and make it 10th St all the way out of Greenville (10th St goes from one end to the other of G-ville). 5th St parallels 10 St until it connects on the East side of town. AND it shows that 10th St is really the main road in Greenville (even though G-ville Blvd has commercial). I would suggest naming the bridge on 10th St after Leo Jenkins, since it bridges ECU and its Med School campus that Jenkins pushed so hard for.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:24 AM

39 posts, read 71,431 times
To those of you who are saying Greenville made a mistake in not burying the powerlines along the connector: keep in mind this is a DOT project...

Old 06-03-2014, 12:44 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Interesting information being tweeted by a Daily Reflector reporter (Abbie Bennett @AbbieRBennett ) at a meeting for Uptown Greenville business owners at the Tipsy Teapot.

3:13 pm 6/2 - Pitt-Greenville Convention & Visitors Bureau announces that it will move to SuperBlock, specifically 417 Cotanche, this fall. @uptowngville

Here's a look at the updated version of the parking deck.
Instead of going into that proposed building (That will probably never be built to the proposed height) with the Parking deck, they're moving there. Glad to see they are committed to Uptown somewhere.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:45 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyInNC View Post
To those of you who are saying Greenville made a mistake in not burying the powerlines along the connector: keep in mind this is a DOT project...
This is true, but wouldn't the DOT take local governments request under advisement?

Old 06-03-2014, 03:43 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Instead of going into that proposed building (That will probably never be built to the proposed height) with the Parking deck, they're moving there. Glad to see they are committed to Uptown somewhere.
This has been known for quite awhile...the concepts of the old Elbo Room building had a sign for Greenville Visitor's Center. And it was announced awhile ago that the building on Evans would not be built because of a lack of tenants on the ground floor and cost of the overall building. Rehabbing the Elbo property makes sense.

It has also been stated that ECU Registrar's office would be going on 5th St in the Super Block area. You can see why the Old Lawyers office house is being talked about for a boutique type hotel...we are not talking about dance clubs anymore, but instead more institutional uses.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:51 AM

Mayor Thomas put up a few pictures from the Georgetown Project on his facebook....starting to take shape...

Old 06-04-2014, 12:50 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Wow! This is going up fast! Can't wait til we pics like this for the Mosely Parking Deck.

More tweets from Abbie Bennett at the Reflector about the theater project downtown.

Quote:
I'll have more specifics on these RFI proposals for the downtown theater in my story. #GreenvilleNC

Abbie Bennett @AbbieRBennett · 21h
Basically, the proposals are for a public theater by Magnolia Arts or a private one developed by CommunitySmith. #GreenvilleNC

CommunitySmith wants city to gift the theater & waive fees for rehab of theater then rent it to private theater company. #GreenvilleNC

Magnolia Arts wants the city to find rehabilitation of the building so they can take it over. #GreenvilleNC

Magnolia Arts and CommunitySmith (Superblock developer) both submitted RFI proposals to the city for the downtown (State/Park) theater.
Haven't seen the story in the paper yet, maybe she's still working on it.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:27 PM

I don't know how I feel about the theatre. I'm all for development uptown, is there a market for that sort of thing in town? Why did the Washington Theatre close?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina