U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 09:53 AM

1,070 posts, read 983,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I would love to see the Tar River utilized...really anything would be better than what we have now. I never go tot eh Town Commons because there is nothing to do there except look at a body of water that is honestly not the nicest, cleanest looking body of water in the world. I would fully back any use of tax payer money on this project. If you go to the WITN site, the usual fuddy duddy people with no life are up there commenting on what a horrible idea it is...figures. If it were up to them Greenville would still be a town of 8,000 people with dirt roads.

I'd like to see a new amphitheater built that isn't embarrassing looking (though some will disagree), a BMX park would be a nice way to get folks down there. They need a better one than the one at Jaycee Park. I'm all for canoeing or kayaking options as well as a zip line...maybe some ropes courses in the woods on the opposite bank of the river? If anyone has been to the whitewater center in Charlotte that place is awesome.

I am still amazed that Kinston can have a freakin' Lion's Water Park & Greenville can't. Really, Kinston. I don't know how much that has helped the city attract people as I simply drive to the waterpark, spend the day & drive home, I have zero interest in going anywhere in that town.
What's wrong with the amphitheatre? I don't see it as bad but then again I remember how pathetic the old one was.

Permanent restrooms and maybe some vending machines would be a great addition just to get a little more foot traffic and picknickers around.

if they want to redevelop the whole thing, at some point the city will have to end their lease with WOOW/1340 and get the radio tower off the property. Problem is that WOOW is a fixture in the black community and I'm sure doesn't have the money to build a new transmitter site. It may just be worth it for the city to build them a new tower on one of the vacant lots across the river to keep from having a PR nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 12:04 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,019 times
I think that the amphitheater there can be redone and it would provide a nice area, but I think building a new amphitheater at one of the future parks would be a great idea as well.

I recently went a a movie event at the Koka Booth Amphitheater in Cary. It was a a great experience. The Amphitheater was there right next to a lake inside the park. I could see something similar bordering (or within short walking distance) to the river.

Josh Groban, John Legend, Darius Rucker, the NC Symphony, and many other acts and events are coming up. Something similar (maybe a bit smaller) would be excellent for this area. The Amphitheater is owned by the town of Cary, but managed by another group that brings acts in.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:51 PM

839 posts, read 1,039,268 times
^ yeah, that's a lot better than this:

Do they still have plans for this? Or has it been scrapped?

Last edited by jpirate; 07-25-2014 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: w

Old 07-26-2014, 05:02 AM

137 posts, read 140,812 times
Default Food for Thought

Greenville has a redevelopment plan for the Town Common and some elements are nice, but it doesn't seem to be quite enough to "wow" anyone. I realize "wow" usually cost money ... often lots of money and I know that is a big issue, particularly when it comes to public money. But, just for kicks let's consider a few ideas that could create a wow design and possibly create an iconic image with which Greenville could be associated (ECU already has some like Wright Auditorium and Trustees Fountain, as well as others). Let's imagine too, that there are potential benefactors with civic pride who might want to be associated with such an iconic structure.

To begin, let's think about three factors that should be considered in such a design which are listed below:

1. The most active outdoor time of the year in Greenville are the seasons when there is mild weather. Many people are not outside in the summer when the temperatures and the humidity are high. Could a space be created that is more comfortable during the summer and also become a gathering place for events and programming that would better activate the Town Common?

2. The world is beginning to move to more intelligent designs -- designs that are passive, minimizing resource usage, and striving for positive net energy use.

3. The City of Greenville does have the word "Green" in its name and being "Green", especially with good design is "cool" these days. The city should consider capitalizing on its name.

What would a structure on the east end of the Town Common that would partially shelter (open air) a new "wow factor" amphitheater like Koka Booth posted above and restrooms, restaurant(s), kayak and canoe rentals near an access point to the river as shown in the existing Town Common plan, and a multi-purpose area that could possibly accommodate a downtown farmers market, a beer garden similar to the one shown in Charlotte's Rail Trail vision here on page 4 (there also many other great ideas in this plan that possibly could be incorporated into the Greenway/Tar River plan), and space to conduct programming for kids, exercise classes, etc. or just a place to gather, to meet someone look like?

All these uses could come together with a sheltered space using the concepts in the links below. These concepts are both new and old, but they should help create a space that is cooler in the summer and out of the weather at other times of the year. The pertinent concepts in these links are the two different "wind tower" designs, the solar collecting roof, and the solar sunflower umbrellas.

1. Actual wind tower -- this is a very old passive cooling concept

2. Concept wind towers, solar collecting roof, and solar sunflower umbrellas

If an iconic design encompassing these elements could be built or even committed to, it should become a catalyst for other development across First Street and in surrounding areas. Possibly a scaled down mixed use development similar to this and maybe a minor league baseball park east of the Town Common on the river side of First Street. A large part of that residential area was flooded during Floyd and is in the flood plain. The Town Common Plan for the rest of the Town Common could still be followed. These changes and the additional development it would generate should create a great, active public space surrounded by private active spaces that could dramatically change the face of downtown Greenville.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:49 PM

3,321 posts, read 5,183,240 times

Old 07-27-2014, 05:51 PM

Some info from the Tar River meeting:

Old 07-27-2014, 05:54 PM

It looks like the BMX park would be located on the former landfill, north of Greenwood Cemetery. That would be a great place. It is underutilized, but already has a variety of terrain there. And there looks like a foot bridge to connect to River Park North.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:53 PM

137 posts, read 140,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
It looks like the BMX park would be located on the former landfill, north of Greenwood Cemetery.
If so, I hope they are aware of this and or landfill technology has gotten a lot better over the last thirty years. Another issue people who played golf there told me about was that they smelled like a landfill after being there because of the vents that are required for the methane.

Last edited by GoingLocal; 07-27-2014 at 07:24 PM..

Old 07-28-2014, 10:02 AM

5,417 posts, read 5,401,245 times
I am not sure if this has been mentioned, but there is a sign for the new construction of a Walmart Supermarket on Memorial across from Lowe's HI. It appears that construction is currently under way.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:29 PM

3,285 posts, read 5,433,764 times
So in total, how many of these Wal-Marts are coming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina