Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 02:38 PM

192 posts, read 280,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
So in total, how many of these Wal-Marts are coming?
I know of three, but I've heard there will be four total.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 08:01 AM

892 posts, read 1,342,075 times
Georgetown project update for those who live out of town:

Old 07-29-2014, 01:08 PM

892 posts, read 1,342,075 times
it also seems that they are finally done with relocating the utilities on the 10th street connector project. Anyone know when construction will start. Have they even put out bids yet?

Old 07-29-2014, 04:31 PM

275 posts, read 330,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
it also seems that they are finally done with relocating the utilities on the 10th street connector project. Anyone know when construction will start. Have they even put out bids yet?
NCDOT has it on their bid letting list for December

Old 07-30-2014, 07:47 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
Little slow lately, so I've been thinking about arenas & stadiums again. This is completely off topic since it's just wishful thinking. What if Greenville could have a partnership with several surrounding counties to build a new 5-6,000 seat arena in Greenville. Greenville puts in 50-60% of the construction costs, and finds 4 or 5 surrounding counties to each pitch in 10% of the costs. In exchange, each county will get a small percentage of the profit from every show, game, and event held there. This would give each surrounding county incentive to make sure events are well attended by people in their county and make more back on the investment.

They would essentially share the arena with much of Eastern NC.

Pitt , Martin, Edgecombe, Beaufort. Lenoir, and Wilson could all chip in to get this taken care of!

I would love for something like this to happen, but It may be hard to get multiple counties to agree on terms. What do you all think?

Last edited by michealbond; 07-30-2014 at 08:39 AM..

Old 07-30-2014, 02:39 PM

26 posts, read 50,487 times
I heard today (but haven't verified) that The Campus Store gas station on 10th street (across from Kinko's/Fed Ex store, and next to Krispy Kreme) is closing sometime in the next week. Not sure if it's just switching hands or what exactly. Anyone heard anything?

And Fitzgerald's uptown will be opening on August 8th according to Uptown Greenville's Facebook page.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:49 PM

89 posts, read 130,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Little slow lately, so I've been thinking about arenas & stadiums again. This is completely off topic since it's just wishful thinking. What if Greenville could have a partnership with several surrounding counties to build a new 5-6,000 seat arena in Greenville. Greenville puts in 50-60% of the construction costs, and finds 4 or 5 surrounding counties to each pitch in 10% of the costs. In exchange, each county will get a small percentage of the profit from every show, game, and event held there. This would give each surrounding county incentive to make sure events are well attended by people in their county and make more back on the investment.

They would essentially share the arena with much of Eastern NC.

Pitt , Martin, Edgecombe, Beaufort. Lenoir, and Wilson could all chip in to get this taken care of!

I would love for something like this to happen, but It may be hard to get multiple counties to agree on terms. What do you all think?
I don't know too much about this kinda stuff but, I figure if Rocky Mount ever brings their Event Center to a reality, Edgecombe and Wilson counties aren't going to pitch in. And probably aren't going to until they realize that that idea won't be a good one. Craven county kinda does their own thing and Martin, Beaufort and Lenoir counties don't really hold a sizable population by themselves. If the Quad East project comes to life we may be able to include Wayne County in there though. But, I may be completely wrong about all this. However, I think that would really a great investment if they could get everyone on board and would really spice up the town.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:17 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
I'm not sure why a 5-6K seat arena is needed in Greenville...isn't there an 8K arena already there? That is getting technology upgrades as we speak?

I do agree with the folks that have mentioned the amphitheater on the Town Common...I do think there is the ability to have a NICE amphitheater in that spot that could attract national acts, particularly during the spring and fall when the students are around...picture an amphitheater with 2K seats and ability to hold about 5K with the grass surrounding it. Adding berms around the edges could create a more intimate effect.

And when ECU eventually builds a performing arts center on 1st and Reade it would create a real entertainment district that would create more private investment along the edges.

Good luck getting everyone to agree on it with Greenville Politics.

Finally, none of those other counties would be interested in helping Greenville....mainly because they don't have the money.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:54 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
HP, my reasoning behind an arena is that very very very few non-ECU events are held in Minges. An arena separate from ECU would give the city a chance to bring in more events. Minges also does not have the capability for an ice rink. So that cuts out the potential of hosting ice shows, hockey teams, figure skating competitions, etc. It would also increase the potential to have more concerts. Since it has been suggested that Greenville put more emphasis on the BMX biking scene, an arena could help host a BMX competition, bringing in thousands of people into town.

An arena may not be needed, but I think it would certainly benefit the city and the area in general. People in the east have to drive hours to see a concert in Greensboro, or Charlotte, or Raleigh, Or Norfolk, or even Myrtle Beach. Why not keep those people closer by giving them the opportunity to see a show in Greenville?

The amphitheater can definitely be done right. Raleigh created a pretty nice one in their downtown area and it holds about 5500 people. I"m sure it could be configured on the commons to accommodate 3-4,000 people.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:23 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,595,835 times
Even if we had an arena the acts that come to Charlotte/Raleigh or maybe Greensboro will not come here. A lot of big acts never even go into the state of SC period because of Charlotte. They want very large markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina