U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 04:36 PM

181 posts, read 215,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Actually I went back and looked and it was Blue Cross/Blue Shield that provided about 500K toward the Wilmington Cross City Trail. Maybe Vidant can't, but maybe someone at Vidant can find someone that would.
I'm glad you found this, thanks! The reason that a company like BC/BS likely did this was because it's a good investment. They will have less to pay in health insurance cost when more people use the bike lanes. Shoot, you could save that much in costs on ONE patient if they decided to commute to work regularly because of that bike lane.

I understand opinions vary about bikes slowing down traffic. But this backward, selfish and contrary to beneficial development for the city. Developments don't just come from brick and mortar buildings and more parks. The city as a whole has to change it's identity to continue growing. Having an identity of obesity and inconsiderate and dangerous drivers and no cultural arts, slows this progress.

GarrentAndBlack: The reason for riding on these roads is because the development of the city’s infrastructure is terrible and there are very few roads besides Greenville Blvd, Firetower, 10th, Evans, Charles and a very small bit of Arlington in which to travel more than a small distance across town in the city by bike. This basically only leaves Firetower and parts of North Evans and Charles as reasonable options. Personally I don't understand why someone would want to sit on their butt in a car commuting more than they already do. You reduce traffic on the road, force people to slow down and reduce accidents (and since Pitt is #1 in accidents in the state, this is needed). If you are a lazy fluff and don't like combining exercise with commuting instead of having to do them both separately (or not at all as is the case for many Greenvillains), I think that's great for you but do it on your couch at home where there's limited traffic. Also, I'm way too fast to ride in the neighborhoods
Bike lanes and active communities attract young professionals and Greenville needs more of this if it wants to make a better name for itself.

Last edited by Dr Bret Wickstrom; 08-29-2014 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 11:02 PM

269 posts, read 348,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
^ I don't know but the building looks like it's getting close...it looks nice.

I drove through uptown at lunch & honestly, I underestimated how different it will feel in the area once all these construction projects are complete. The parking deck is moving at a rapid pace & will look nice based on what is up already. Really a transformation going on down there. Still hoping they can lure a hotel once the parking deck is there, that will be huge.
Coming down Charles toward Chicos looks the most different. You've got a head-on view of the new deck going up, all of downtown infront of you, and the boundary construction to the left. It's starting to look like a small city instead of a large town.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:28 PM

137 posts, read 140,948 times
OT, but that's a cool effect of the vehicles on Reade Circle on the August 29th Boundary photo. They could be clown cars at a Circus.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:30 PM

1,069 posts, read 985,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
OT, but that's a cool effect of the vehicles on Reade Circle on the August 29th Boundary photo. They could be clown cars at a Circus.
Lol, the pics are taken with an iPhone in Panoramic mode. You get some interesting effects sometimes.
I took a panorama at a park with my wife and a couple friends and one of the friends moved - she showed up twice in the picture, fully.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:26 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,362,977 times
FWIW, the Wilmington Cross City trail is mostly an off the road, separate multi-use path...its more like a super sidewalk. Greenville has that started in its Greenway, but the Greenway doesn't cross through the city...that's the difference. I wasn't advocating for bike lanes all over Greenville.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:01 AM

181 posts, read 215,169 times
Quote:
FWIW, the Wilmington Cross City trail is mostly an off the road, separate multi-use path...its more like a super sidewalk. Greenville has that started in its Greenway, but the Greenway doesn't cross through the city...that's the difference. I wasn't advocating for bike lanes all over Greenville.
Having the Greenway cut across and maybe even circle around town would certainly be great. The big challenge is that in order for them to be really useful they need to avoid crossing traffic the same way a sidewalk has to, otherwise there really is no difference between that and a sidewalk.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:06 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,362,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
Having the Greenway cut across and maybe even circle around town would certainly be great. The big challenge is that in order for them to be really useful they need to avoid crossing traffic the same way a sidewalk has to, otherwise there really is no difference between that and a sidewalk.
Actually, if they are strategically placed on roads that have less lights on them, they are very effective. In Greenville I would think Charles Blvd would be an ideal place for this going to Bells Fork. The existing path goes right in front of the railroad bridge. Build a path to the mall first (in front of Mellow Mushroom) and then on to Bells Fork. There are no lights from Red Banks to Firetower and you have now connected all of those housing complexes via bike to the mall and ECU and downtown, just by using 1 road.

Start there, and build from it sideways.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:40 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,188,387 times
Quote:
There is talk of a cross city Greenway here. It will follow Green Mill Run westwardly past its current future terminus at River Birch Tennis Center. It could be followed until the southwest section of Stantonsburg/Arlington. Then cross through the Health Sciences Campus, and hook up with the future South Tar River Greenway. Boom a complete circuit inside the city.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:13 PM

26 posts, read 43,396 times
I know there's been discussion of the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Marts in Greenville, but I couldn't remember if anyone posted dates for them. I heard today the one on Stantonsburg is planning to open 12/10/14 and the one on Memorial is planning to open 12/12/14. The third one won't be until after the 1st of the year sometime. I heard that one is sometime around the end of January but not sure of the exact date.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:41 AM

293 posts, read 271,320 times
The city should create a master plan for the Greenway and as neighborhoods are built or developments occurs near the planned Greenway those doing the construction would be responsible for adding to the Greenway. The triangle does this type of thing. Any new housing construction is required to build onto the greenway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina