Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 01:26 PM

89 posts, read 130,612 times

Advertisements

I think the buying of TT by Limelight is a pretty good idea.
I just wonder if they are still going to hold events such as bands, comedy shows, etc. for local bands and entertainers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 01:42 PM

And I know this is off-topics and probably won't interest you all but...
This is the most current proposed full beltline around the Greenville area (the red being the future planned roads - including the SW bypass).
I just think it's interesting to see what could possibly be done. It would cross the river just northeast of downtown Simpson. But, I doubt this will stay the same seeing as it is going to be at least 50 years before all of it can be completed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	gville beltline.png
Views:	1072
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	135808

Old 09-07-2014, 10:57 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitrinite View Post
And I know this is off-topics and probably won't interest you all but...
This is the most current proposed full beltline around the Greenville area (the red being the future planned roads - including the SW bypass).
I just think it's interesting to see what could possibly be done. It would cross the river just northeast of downtown Simpson. But, I doubt this will stay the same seeing as it is going to be at least 50 years before all of it can be completed.
Attachment 135808
I am NOT a fan of the eastern and southern legs of this at ALL. It needs to be MUCH smaller. It needs to skirt the western edge of Simpson, then cut harder to the west going towards D.H. Conley, then connect to the Southwest Bypass right on the southern edge of Winterville.

It is just wasted asphalt in its current configuration, plus it will cost a lot more.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I am NOT a fan of the eastern and southern legs of this at ALL. It needs to be MUCH smaller. It needs to skirt the western edge of Simpson, then cut harder to the west going towards D.H. Conley, then connect to the Southwest Bypass right on the southern edge of Winterville.

It is just wasted asphalt in its current configuration, plus it will cost a lot more.
Yeah I can see what you mean. Going out into the Chicod area is out of the way. But, I guess they're taking into account the future housing developments that may take place out there.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:49 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,288 times
Yea, that looks pretty bad. Just imagine if Raleigh only had 540. That would be a huge problem. This should be Greenville's "beltline".

Also, I saw a nice article in the N&O about the 10th anniversary of the American Tobacco campus in Durham. The transformation of that area is amazing in such a short time. It's what I hope the Dickinson Ave corridor can become in a couple of years.

Quote:
DURHAM — For its 10th birthday, the American Tobacco campus invited a reggae band, an acrobat, a tobacco auctioneer and a poetry-writing fox – apt party guests to mark a decade of revival.

As crowds queued up at food trucks, the campus staff showed off the new loft hotel under construction, and the spot where the new NanaSteak restaurant will go, and the 4,000 square feet of new office space.

For anyone who remembers that slice of Durham before American Tobacco – before Tyler’s Taproom served a garlic fry, before Burt’s Bees opened its corporate offices, before WUNC’s Back Porch on the Lawn series – Sunday’s celebration made the transformation clear.

“Let’s see ... 10 years ago,†said marketing director Valerie Ward. “Lots of barbed wire. Collapsed roofs. Trees growing out of buildings. Lots of pigeon droppings. The SWAT team was using it for practice ...â€

The campus that now draws visitors for Cuban tapas and Jason Isbell tickets sprung from the 19th-century tobacco business started by Washington Duke, a giant so large it was one of the original 12 companies in the Dow Jones Industrial Average.

Making Lucky Strikes, Pall Malls and Tareytons, American Tobacco grew to the largest of its kind in the world, lending Durham its identity and trademark leaf aroma.

But the doors closed in 1987, bringing two decades of decay. When Capitol Broadcasting Co. reopened the campus in 2004, smoking had become so taboo that you could hardly smoke a cigarette anywhere in the factories that once manufactured them by the ton.

But while the Lucky Strike smokestack remained, the new American Tobacco would welcome a drastically different type of business: start-ups, nonprofits, digital products. With about 3,800 people working there, Ward said, the campus now employs more than it did in the old tobacco days.

“It’s a part of Durham’s history,†she said, “and it’s very deeply rooted. It served its purpose, and now it’s serving a new purpose.â€

Several hundred visitors turned out Sunday to eat grilled cheese from the American Meltdown food truck or a double from Only Burger.

They walked by the exhibit of antique farm equipment, including a 1903 Beasley plow and a fertilizer distributor from 1890. They stood in line to have the Poetry Fox bang out a composition on an old Underwood typewriter, incorporating whatever word each patron offered.

For the uninitiated, a load of tobacco sat in bales on a flatbed truck, where auctioneer Steve Nelms gave them a sample of his antiquated, mile-a-minute patter. Once he auctioned leaf in Oxford, Rocky Mount, Louisburg and Henderson. No longer.

“Not enough to make any money,†he said.

The tobacco smell may have faded from downtown Durham, replaced by the scent of gourmet grilled cheese and pints of IPA. But the grit of the place remains – etched in the red bricks.

Read more here: DURHAM: Durham celebrates 10 years since opening of American Tobacco campus | Durham County | NewsObserver.com

Old 09-08-2014, 07:21 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
Quote:

Couple of things with this...

1) That is the problem with bypassing Ayden...it now drops off so far south, when it could have crossed between Ayden and Winterville.

2) The SW bypass will not be finished for another 6-8 years...so consider when the other legs will be done. If I were going to predict, I would say they will be done in 4 stages. Between 11 and 43, between 43 and 33, between 33 and 264 and between 264 and the Industrial park. We are talking at least 15 years before another section is under construction...and think of the development that will happen during that 15 years.

When that beltline is finished, I think you are looking at a Greenville that is much bigger than you think of it now...like pushing 150K or more. In that regard, you will be able to live in Chicod and use the beltline to go the Hospital or the Industrial Park. Greenville's beltline will also be more of a regional beltline, keeping folks from Kinston, Washington, New Bern, ect...off of the main roads of Greenville. That beltline will encourage sprawl, but Greenville is really encouraging that growth as well...it will keep it as an affordable community and has room to grow into a regional city as compared to a college town.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:23 AM

I understand and know Greenville should grow even more in the next 20+ years.

But take a route between Winterville & Ayden, vs. one south of Ayden. The first route could be utilized by people of Winterville AND Ayden. There will be a significantly larger amount of use compared to one south of Ayden. Plus the larger you make it, the longer it will take to get to the 264/bypass interchange.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:24 AM

Pretty neat short article about college towns. Greenville should REALLLY push and implement policies that will keep those fresh graduates in Pitt County. That will pay HUGE dividends in the future.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:40 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times
Quote:
But take a route between Winterville & Ayden, vs. one south of Ayden. The first route could be utilized by people of Winterville AND Ayden. There will be a significantly larger amount of use compared to one south of Ayden. Plus the larger you make it, the longer it will take to get to the 264/bypass interchange.
I'm having trouble understanding this. What is stopping those who want to get off in Winterville from doing so? There will be major interchanges in Winterville at Forlines Rd and Davenport Farm Rd, plus the state is planning on extending Firetower all the way to the SW Bypass so there will be an interchange there too. Ayden will have a major interchange at NC 102.

The reason it is starting south of Ayden is so that those coming north on 11 from points south, won't have to deal with all of the traffic lights beginning in Ayden.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I'm having trouble understanding this. What is stopping those who want to get off in Winterville from doing so? There will be major interchanges in Winterville at Forlines Rd and Davenport Farm Rd, plus the state is planning on extending Firetower all the way to the SW Bypass so there will be an interchange there too. Ayden will have a major interchange at NC 102.

The reason it is starting south of Ayden is so that those coming north on 11 from points south, won't have to deal with all of the traffic lights beginning in Ayden.
I am FOR building the Southwest Bypass in its current configuration. Heck, it almost needs to go to US70 now.

I am talking about the FUTURE south/eastern segments to complete the loop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina