U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 10:08 AM

451 posts, read 1,687,895 times

Advertisements

Plans have been completed for the downtown theater renovation. Now the hard part - finding the money to complete the renovations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 10:32 AM

3,321 posts, read 5,183,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningNorm View Post
Dear Greenville, NC - please, please no more restaurants. Please.

How about some places for adults (and their kids, too) to play!

Like a: Celebration Station - Greensboro, NC

Or a: Welcome To Gameworks

Or maybe a "real" live music venue like this: The New Jannus Live - Jannus Live

And, for the empty theater downtown how about this: Little Theatre of Virginia Beach: About Us

...IMHO places like these would really be of benefit and would spice up living here!
Your wish is my command...

From the Magnolia Arts Center website: "Keep an eye on the Theatre Uptown at the corner of 5th and Evans Streets. The mural will be finished soon which marks the beginning of the renovation project. This building will become a great community theatre and event space."

Magnolia Arts Center: News

Also, Chancellor Ballard at ECU is/was pushing hard for a performing arts center downtown. I know the budget downfall cut into pursing it currently. IIRC, he wanted to move all/most of the Theater department, and most likely some/all of the music performances downtown. This would bring a great vitalization to downtown, because one could safely assume associated "nice restaurants, etc" would be built to cash in.

In the spring of 2008, Chancellor Ballard stated that five new buildings were approved by the Board of Governors, with three on the east campus, and of those five, two are listed as priorities in this legislative session. Chancellor Ballard reported that these two priorities are buildings for Dentistry (#1) and Family Medicine (#2). The other three priorities, in order, are the Biosciences building (#3), the Education-Business building (#4), and Visual and Performing Arts Center (#5).

The PAC isn't an education center like the other four listed. It most likely would be built by private donations. They actually came out with a pamplet for naming opportunities. I can see it now: RunningNorm Performing Arts Center. http://www.ecu.edu/cs-cfac/upload/Pr...ArtsCenter.pdf

Here is a news release back in 2005 about it: ECU News Services - News Story

So who knows where we are now, but something tells me the ECU PAC is still in a "quiet" phase.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:16 AM

228 posts, read 521,354 times
Too bad about the PAC - what a great plan for an awesome venue!

We def. need new venues in town...for example -

I attended a show at Wright by a prominent Jazz musician last week. Midway through the show, the campus lost power. I was beyond surprised that there was not a back up system to keep the show up and running without a hitch. The performer finished the show under the emergency lights...

But, anyway, I will miss you all. I am in the midst of a national job search. Time to move somewhere else I can complain about. :-)

Cheers!

Old 10-08-2010, 09:10 AM

155 posts, read 202,196 times
I am looking to get closer to daughter in Asheville, but being retired I prefer flat to mountains, and am looking in the Greenville area, far enough away from the high insurance the shore homes, yet with the train nearby to visit my family up north on Amtrack. Any suggestions to good small retirement towns? I enjoy local library events, bike paths, local swimming lakes, and towns that are not too busy with traffic.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:53 AM

You should check out New Bern. Even for a smaller city, Greenville is pretty busy and traffic can be bad at times.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:09 PM

3,285 posts, read 5,433,764 times
any new developments ?

Old 10-14-2010, 08:50 PM

City Council is building a pedestrian island on 10th St along the greenway. That is something...

Old 10-15-2010, 05:24 PM

The club on West 5th street, Chaser? maybe, that was torn down a few months ago is getting turned into a parking lot. The building beside it is starting a restaurant and office space. They need it for parking.

The facade/retaining wall on W 5th st is coming along. It is starting to look decent on that stretch. Also they are on their way with building sidewalks on the Tar River side of 43 near the hospital.

Also with the hospital, they put up new signage/wayfinders. This will help immensely when it comes to finding where to go with the hospital.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:09 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,041,037 times
Ayden is getting a Subway! It will be opening within the month in the old Dollar General (or whatever it used to be) next to the new Maxway (former Piggly Wiggly).

Old 10-21-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Also with the hospital, they put up new signage/wayfinders. This will help immensely when it comes to finding where to go with the hospital.
There is a lot of construction going on at the hospital right now, with more planned. Looks like work has started on the dental school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina