U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 07:03 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
[LEFT]This Friday, September 19, 2014, Greenville joins the global movement to transform parking spaces into public parks. The loading zone on Evans Street outside of StarLight Cafe will become an urban park, complete with benches, bistro tables, a fountain, grasses and trees, carpeting and more.[/LEFT]
“We are thrilled to see the idea of urban parks gain momentum in Uptown Greenville,” said Uptown Greenville Executive Director Bianca Shoneman. “One of the reasons people love to come here is because there’s always a surprise. We keep things exciting with constant reminders about what’s so great about being Uptown. Where else in Greenville will you find a day-long pop-up park with tables, benches and live music? Only Uptown. Join us!”
PARK(ing) Day, celebrated annually on the third Friday of September since 2005, was begun by San Francisco-based ecological art and design studio Rebar. “In urban centers around the world, PARK(ing) Day is about re-imagining the possibilities of the urban landscape.”
Grab a coffee and head over to the PARK(ing) space at 8 a.m. to watch the morning unfold in a new way. At 12 p.m., the Wright School of Music will further enhance the ambiance with talented players. The fun runs through 8 p.m., with the final few hours coinciding with Uptown Greenville’s second Freeboot Friday of the season.
StarLight Cafe, the Scullery and Cinnamon Indian Cuisine will be offering brown bag specials all day to encourage visitors to downtown make the most of the park-for-a-day.
Sponsors for Uptown Greenville’s PARK(ing) Day include Black Tree Media Group, Signature Jordan, the East Group, Jefferson’s, Rivers & Associates, Worthington Farms Nursery, and the NC American Society of Landscape Architects, Coastal Section.
Uptown Greenville | POP-UP PARK COMING TO UPTOWN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 07:35 AM

3,321 posts, read 5,182,656 times
'Superblock' secures final tenant
The Daily Reflector

Old 09-22-2014, 09:27 PM

1,070 posts, read 983,453 times
I'm not quite sure what to think of this. Cleveland and Brooklyn aren't the best of company to be in.

US Dept. of Justice picks Pitt County as site to curb domestic v - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCT
U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder picks Pitt County as one of four sites to receive a grant for preventing deaths in domestic violence cases.

On Tuesday, Pitt County leaders will talk about the grant at a press conference. People from the sheriff's office, Greenville Police Department and the Center for Family Violence will be there.

The Justice Department says the four sites will receive a total of $2.6 million in grants. They will have two years to create and implement models to stop domestic violence homicide trends.

Other sites include Cuyahoga County in Ohio, Contra Costa County, California and the Borough of Brooklyn, New York.

The National Institute of Justice will then evaluate the models at the site.

"Domestic violence is more than a crime against just the victim," said Holder in a video release. "It is a crime against all of us as a society. And our collective response must treat it as such."

Last year, the federal government choose Pitt County as one of 12 communities to receive a similar grant.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:10 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,040,450 times
It would seem that Greenville and Pitt County are doing everything within their power to lower crime. I don't think it reflects badly on the area that this is being done. It shows that local officials are going out of their way to start programs to help lower crime of all types. Grants must be applied for and there are a lot of hoops to jump through to get them. Kudos to Greenville and Pitt County!

Old 09-23-2014, 02:20 PM

145 posts, read 221,857 times
After this weekend's win against UNC, how likely do y'all think that it will be for ECU to start construction on a new upper deck and press box considering our recent football success? I heard that there are plans for one but I was hoping to hear more about a timeline and how the project is progressing.

Also, does anyone have a recent picture of "the Boundary" project downtown? I'm not on that side of town often.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:41 PM

1,070 posts, read 983,453 times
I'm trying to get a new pic of the Boundary. Will post when I do.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:46 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,105,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
After this weekend's win against UNC, how likely do y'all think that it will be for ECU to start construction on a new upper deck and press box considering our recent football success? I heard that there are plans for one but I was hoping to hear more about a timeline and how the project is progressing.
I still follow ECU, more than any other college football team, even though I only lived in Greenville for 4.5 out of my 49 years, and moved away 5 years ago. I only saw a couple of games in person, but it's a great environment. I loved watching the UNC game, even from 150 miles away on my tablet. lol I thought the exact same thing about expansion - when are they going to balance the stadium and add the upper deck on the other side? It seems like they just expanded at the one end zone, but that was a few years ago. If they can sell it out fairly consistently at 50k capacity, I think they can justify adding the other upper deck.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:24 PM

269 posts, read 348,505 times
Back when the AAC was looking like it could be Boise st, Louisville, Rutgers, (and what people thought would be good USF and Uconn teams), I was all for adding another upper deck.

Now I think we should focus on a very nice press-box with an additional 2k luxury seating to bring capacity to 52k (okay, 53.1k if we squeeze people in like we did last week). This allows us to shuffle bigger donors into those seats, upper-mid into the 2k that open up (or however many), and so on. We could possibly give an extra 1k tickets (on top of what we already give) to bigger teams as an incentive for them to play at ECU. Just build the pressbox with the option of adding an upper deck if we ever need it.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:19 PM

153 posts, read 186,646 times
I read a few years back that ECU had been approved by the NC General Assembly to move forward with plans for an upper deck and pressbox on that side, bringing the stadium to 58,000. This was given the green light for 2014. But that was just approval. I had heard recently (and cannot remember where) that we would most likely go with the press box but design to accommodate upper deck.

I have to agree with Bull that the press box and minor addition of luxury seating as a part of that config would be a our best approach for now. Every time I got to a game, I look up and see that double wide sitting atop the south side it just kills me.

But there is nothing official that I'm aware of at this time. Given the success the last 2 years, I wouldn't be surprised if they're not planning the pressbox addition soon.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:37 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,165 times
I know at one time I had heard that a couple of the houses that back up to that side of the stadum would have to be purchased to expand the south side. This was of course when they were discussing a press box addition that also included some kind of athletic multipurpose building at the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina