U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2014, 02:13 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,183,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
What are they doing at the old Harris Supermarket on Jarvis Street?

I am not sure if retail/commercial should go back there. It seems too....out of place.

I wonder if a Police substation would be good to have there? To focus on the Grid/TRUNA area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 03:47 PM

112 posts, read 102,953 times
-Planet Fitness Gym will be opening soon at Memorial and Frog Level according to a flier my friend received in the mail.
-Kick Back Jacks in the old Tripps building is coming along nicely, A lot of new things are being added to the building including a new entrance.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:44 PM

1,070 posts, read 983,869 times
Frog Level and Memorial don't intersect...

Old 10-11-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Frog Level and Memorial don't intersect...
My apologies, I get turned around on that side of town! Its Thomas Langston and Memorial.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:58 PM

145 posts, read 221,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty Drummer View Post
-Planet Fitness Gym will be opening soon at Memorial and Frog Level according to a flier my friend received in the mail.
Pretty sure it will be going beside the new Burlington Coat Factory since I think I heard that they wouldn't be using the whole building. Seems like the perfect place for it and the address on their website looks like its the old Home Depot.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:29 PM

8 posts, read 13,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I am not sure if retail/commercial should go back there. It seems too....out of place.

I wonder if a Police substation would be good to have there? To focus on the Grid/TRUNA area.

There is a "For Lease" sign on the bar Maliboo which used to be Dr. Unk's on the north corner of that block. I believe there's a laundromat between the space being renovated and the bar/restaurant. There's plenty of parking across the street from this area. I wish the who strip could have been renovated and office spaces made available.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:19 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,268 times
Today was the first time I've seen the new Great Buses around town. They look nice...good upgrade. Not sure how I missed that they were upgrading these.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:36 AM

39 posts, read 59,756 times
This is happening right now...

photo credit: alymorg, Instagram
Attached Thumbnails
Greenville Area Developments-overtons.jpg  

Last edited by ThatGuyInNC; 10-13-2014 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: photo credit

Old 10-13-2014, 11:09 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,019 times
Reflector article about the Convention center/Hotel upgrades.

Quote:
A reinvestment in Greenville by the City Council, staff and business leaders deserves some credit for planned changes on the city’s convention center campus, a local investor said.

“I’ve lived in Greenville 24 years,” said John van Coutren, chief executive officer of Greenville’s Prime Investments and Development. “In the last five to six years, City Council and city staff and business leaders in this community started reinvesting in Greenville.

“That took bold leadership and they need to take some of the credit for me convincing my investor group to reinvest in Greenville ... for years to come,” he said.

Upgrades

Greenville’s independently owned City Hotel and Bistro, 203 S.W. Greenville Blvd., has been purchased by Boulevard Hospitality Associates, van Coutren said. The hotel will be managed by Prime Investments and Development and will be converted into a new fourth-generation Holiday Inn concept.

But the changes don’t end there. Van Coutren said his group has a vision for the convention center campus, of which the hotel is a part, and for areas beyond.

Holiday Inn hotels is the most recognized hotel brand in the world, he said, with 80 million rewards members.

“We’re not building your dad’s hotel anymore,” van Coutren said, noting that the next-generation hotel model for the City Hotel transition is marketing toward current customers and the next generation of travelers — millennials.

“Humble, fun, open spaces, WiFi, relaxing, unobtrusive,” van Coutren said.

Studio corporate apartments for longer stays of various sizes also are planned.

“We feel there’s a need for that,” van Coutren said.

The City Hotel will continue to have the Bistro, but also will have a “grab-and- go” option and a lobby bar.

The staff will stay on through the transition, van Coutren said.

The City Hotel capital improvements will come in at about $4.2 million, van Coutren said.

People will begin to see changes at the City Hotel in early December with the majority of the work in February, March and April of next year.

“We hope to launch as a full-branded Holiday Inn in May before ECU graduation weekend,” van Coutren said.

Convention center

Prime Investments owns and operates the Hilton Greenville and Greenville’s Hampton Inn. The Hilton, Hampton Inn and City Hotel are part of the convention center campus which hosts conferences and other events.

The 32-acre convention center campus is the largest east of I-95, according to the convention center’s website. The campus centers around the convention facility at 303 S.W. Greenville Blvd. — a conference, consumer/trade show, entertainment venue, banquet and meeting site that offers flexible single-level meeting space and an exhibit hall.

The three hotels near the convention center offer 433 guest rooms. According to van Coutren, City Hotel potentially could lose a few rooms due to renovation.

The Hilton has renewed its franchise agreement to remain a Hilton for the next 17 years, van Coutren said.

The Hilton is putting about $4.3 million into improving the hotel in the next year, he said. The Hilton will feature the recently remodeled Villedge Wood-Fired Kitchen & Bar and a Starbucks, van Coutren said.

The city also has invested in expanding and renovating the convention center with the intention of making it more competitive with other regional convention centers.

The project includes an approximately 12,000-square-foot addition with meeting/breakout rooms and an outdoor terrace. The interior of the facility, including bathrooms, pre-function area and ballroom, are to receive finish upgrades, according to staff.

Total project cost is about $4.6 million.

In May, the Greenville City Council accepted Prime Investments owner Thomas J. Glennon’s gift of 0.644 acre between the convention center and the Hilton Greenville to expand the convention center. The land has an appraised value of $290,000.

The City Council unanimously voted to issue special obligation bond revenues to finance renovation and expansion.

“Now you’ll have a $10 million municipal building surrounded by $60 (million) or $70 million in hospitality assets to make it successful,” van Coutren said.

Also a priority and vision for the convention center district of the city, van Coutren said, is connectivity with other key areas of the city, namely the downtown area and medical district.

Groups are coming together to form the Convention Uptown Partnership (CUP) in order to help link the areas of the city through potential transportation opportunities such as an express shuttle or complimentary bus service, van Coutren said.

This could encourage visitors to explore and spend money in different areas of the city, he said.

“It’s only two miles,” van Coutren said. “But in other major markets, two miles you walk. Here you have to drive.”

All of the improvements serve to achieve the same goal, van Coutren said — attracting more people and convention center events to the city. Events being considered are major sports competitions — such as regional cheerleading competitions and gymnastics meets — and other events like athletics association meetings, business retreats, large social events, dinner shows and other entertainment and promotions.

“Some of the events that we have done over the years have grown and outgrown us,” van Coutren said. “And we have commitments for them to come back to Greenville once we reach this capacity that we are going to have.

“To drive economic impact for the city of Greenville, we’re going to have three new shiny pennies to compete with some of the larger major markets in the region and the states,” he said.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:13 AM

City Limits Saloon is coming to Greenville. Looks like it will be located across from sup dogs.

https://www.facebook.com/citylimitsaloon

They also have City Limits Saloons in Wilmington, NC and Raleigh, NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina