U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2014, 11:49 AM

1,673 posts, read 2,040,955 times

Advertisements

I drove by the airport for the first time in months and noticed a Tropicana Supermarket (geared toward Hispanic shoppers) has opened in the old Harris market across the street. How long has that been open? It looks more like a traditional chain, rather than some limited store stuck in a small spot, like most Hispanic stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 12:11 PM

1,069 posts, read 984,724 times
It's a small chain, only around central-eastern NC. I noticed it first about a month ago.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:04 AM

47 posts, read 77,484 times
Saw "The Markit" has opened near Fred's Club in Winterville this weekend. Don't know if this has been mentioned.
The Markit

Old 10-20-2014, 07:59 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,573 times
^ I'm still trying to figure out how that works?

Old 10-20-2014, 09:09 AM

47 posts, read 77,484 times
Also, I heard that the Family Dollar store in Winterville has shut down? I go by there everyday, but I didn't look at it closely this morning.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:38 AM

I noticed this church construction the other day...wow, that area is really huge with the trees cleared out...

Quote:
Work on $7 million church underway Daily Reflector, The (Greenville, NC) - Sunday, October 19, 2014

Unity Free Will Baptist Church broke ground on a major development both for the church and for Greenville on Sunday.

The project covering nearly 50 acres and costing more than $7 million will become a new church campus for Unity Church, now located on 14th Street, and is one more example of development pushing at the city's outer edges. The new church will be located at Bells Fork Road near N.C. 43.

In 2004, Unity Church purchased about 37 acres at Bells Fork, then later acquired nine more acres. When the building is complete, it will front N.C. 43.

The Bells Fork area is among those being looked at for growth. Sixty-four new apartment units are being constructed near Kittrell Farms townhomes, and a Dollar General store recently opened in the area.

The new apartments are two- and three-bedroom units, city officials said, on about seven acres and are being developed by Raleigh-based Kittrell Place LLC.

Land has been rezoned in the area, and city officials have said they anticipate growth for the area as developers begin to look beyond the center of Greenville and as the city swells its more traditional borders.

"This is an area that, prior to the economic downturn, was certainly one of the growth areas of the city," Community Development Director Merrill Flood said. "Given the ability to tie into the sanitary sewer system in a cost-effective manner, this area will support additional development. There has over time been significant investment in the area based upon the development that has already occurred."

Unity Free Will Baptist Church was founded in 1981 and has been at 2725 E. 14th Street since 1986. In August, the site was sold to four individual investors for about $2 million with tentative plans for John Paul II Catholic High School to move to the location in fall 2015.

At that time, Unity Church and John Paul Catholic High School will both occupy the facility until the church's new campus is completed, estimated in November or December 2015.

John Paul II Catholic High School operates out of modular units at St. Gabriel Catholic Church, 3250 Dickinson Ave. The school graduated its first senior class in the spring.

The church chose to sell its facility because it has outgrown its location, according to Kevin Justice, pastor of worship and administration a the church. Justice said church attendance averages about 500 people collectively at its Sunday services at 9 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.

Dunn Dalton Architects of Kinston designed Unity Church's new campus and Farrior Sons of Farmville is serving as general contractor for the project.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:39 AM

I can't access this article but i see that Wilco-Hess has sold to Speedway I guess? Guess there is going to be a bunch of Speedways around town now...I wonder if they'll still support ECU like Wilco-hess did.

The Daily Reflector

Last edited by jpirate; 10-21-2014 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: r

Old 10-21-2014, 05:16 PM

1,069 posts, read 984,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePippin0982 View Post
Also, I heard that the Family Dollar store in Winterville has shut down? I go by there everyday, but I didn't look at it closely this morning.
It was open when I passed by a few minutes ago.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:32 PM

153 posts, read 186,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I can't access this article but i see that Wilco-Hess has sold to Speedway I guess? Guess there is going to be a bunch of Speedways around town now...I wonder if they'll still support ECU like Wilco-hess did.

The Daily Reflector
For some reason, Speedway has always been synonymous with cheap gas to me. Cheap in terms of quality. I never stop at a Speedway. Bummer they're the ones who bought the Trade stations.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:52 AM

21 posts, read 24,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
For some reason, Speedway has always been synonymous with cheap gas to me. Cheap in terms of quality. I never stop at a Speedway. Bummer they're the ones who bought the Trade stations.
As a former Wilco store manager I can tell you one quick fact about the gas quality, it doesn't matter where you buy the gas from it does come from multiple sources. All the gas locally is trucked from Selma which was piped at one time by Hess from Wilmington before they sold their operation. The terminals in Selma are owned by BP, Marathon, Citgo and Murphy. We would get our gas from any one of these companies so one day we might receive BP gas and then the next time Citgo or Marathon. Hess was just a importer/exporter and exploration company that owned c-stores. In terms of quality no station has quality that is higher or lesser than the other, yes sometimes there may be water but for the most part they are nearly the same and the state does checks at least once a quarter if not more. We checked our quality in house daily for water and phase separation. Yes true Bp stations and other big name brands like shell and such do have a additive that cleans injectors or something like that and others don't have but it doesn't mean much in terms of quality or fuel mileage. There can be a mix at times of the winter and summer blend in the tanks but it shouldn't mean that much less quality you would notice. If any gas station has a quality issue it usually is water in the tanks which is inevitable with under ground storage tank that sweat on the inside plus again is underground. I can tell you thought that most gas stations do check for water and such and are on alert for these things.

Marathon is also the parent company of Speedway so quality should not be a issue and they also will buy from all the other terminals in Selma because its almost impossible for one terminal to supply every station they own. So in closing gas is gas and if someone tells you something about bad gas it is almost 99% water or phase separation related and not a fuel quality issue. Ask a state inspector and they will back up what I am saying and will tell you where there have been water or other problems. I am not sure how to check but it is public knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina