U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 07:50 AM

839 posts, read 1,040,195 times

Advertisements

^ good info there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 03:47 PM

8 posts, read 13,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
I drove by the airport for the first time in months and noticed a Tropicana Supermarket (geared toward Hispanic shoppers) has opened in the old Harris market across the street. How long has that been open? It looks more like a traditional chain, rather than some limited store stuck in a small spot, like most Hispanic stores.

I went into Tropicana on Tuesday and noticed that the plastic checkout bags were from Compare Supermarket. Compare is a large chain of Hispanic supermarkets in the north and I think the closest one is in Durham. The items in stock represent a good mixture of Central American and Carribean favorites. The produce section was well stocked with reasonably priced items and the store is still assembling shelves.

I hope there will be a lunch counter coming as well.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:51 PM

153 posts, read 186,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvillejb View Post
So in closing gas is gas and if someone tells you something about bad gas it is almost 99% water or phase separation related and not a fuel quality issue. Ask a state inspector and they will back up what I am saying and will tell you where there have been water or other problems. I am not sure how to check but it is public knowledge.
Right - I know I've heard and read this a dozen times and I don't doubt what you're telling me. My exposure to Speedway has not been in Greenville or even NC. I don't remember if it was because of ethanol content or what. But I can tell you the Speedways I've seen in VA are always more run down and sleezy looking. That's why I said it was more of a perception for me. If their stations seems retain the same quality I don't mind buying there. But I mostly buy from either Walmart or Sheetz anyway. Am looking forward to having another Walmart gas station so I don't have to go to the hood for my gas.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:21 AM

21 posts, read 24,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
Right - I know I've heard and read this a dozen times and I don't doubt what you're telling me. My exposure to Speedway has not been in Greenville or even NC. I don't remember if it was because of ethanol content or what. But I can tell you the Speedways I've seen in VA are always more run down and sleezy looking. That's why I said it was more of a perception for me. If their stations seems retain the same quality I don't mind buying there. But I mostly buy from either Walmart or Sheetz anyway. Am looking forward to having another Walmart gas station so I don't have to go to the hood for my gas.
There are no Speedways in VA or the south at all as I think you are confusing them with Raceway which is a franchise gas stations in multiple states and one is here in Taboro and Raleigh. I think a long time ago before Marathon bought Speedway that Raceway was the franchise store and Speedway was the corporate store but they are separate now. Speedways are mainly in the Oh,PA areas with some in the north but they had no stores in VA or the South till now. Just like Sheetz and Murphy all Speedways are corporate stores. Just a FYI

Old 10-23-2014, 06:55 AM

839 posts, read 1,040,195 times
Sheetz for the win!

Old 10-23-2014, 10:24 PM

153 posts, read 186,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvillejb View Post
There are no Speedways in VA or the south at all as I think you are confusing them with Raceway which is a franchise gas stations in multiple states and one is here in Taboro and Raleigh. I think a long time ago before Marathon bought Speedway that Raceway was the franchise store and Speedway was the corporate store but they are separate now. Speedways are mainly in the Oh,PA areas with some in the north but they had no stores in VA or the South till now. Just like Sheetz and Murphy all Speedways are corporate stores. Just a FYI
You know - I believe you're right - I'm thinking about Raceway and they are terrible stations. But there are a number of Speedway gas stations in the South, even in North Carolina - I've seen them headed to the mountains before. But there aren't many. I might give them a shot when they get rebadged and see. Heck - if they would buck the price fixing model in Greenville, I'd probably be a lifelong customer!

Old 10-24-2014, 07:36 AM

6 posts, read 6,931 times
Default While we're on the subject...

Can anyone explain how it is that fuel station's prices all over town rise and fall in almost perfect synch, and remain within a penny-or-so of each other. I don't think this is just a Greenville thing either. Seems to happen everywhere. Just wondering.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:43 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,189,357 times

Picture from today, I believe.

Clock tower near completion. Dozens of businesses eagerly awaiting these spaces and the accompanying new thru-way pocket parks connecting 5th, and Evans directly by patio to the structure. Finished date little over a month away.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:46 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,005,164 times
^^^^ Looks Great! Can't believe how quickly this went up!

Old 10-27-2014, 08:16 AM

17 posts, read 22,571 times
Walmart Market off of Statonsburg - has sign with opening date of December 10th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina