U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 01:32 PM

21 posts, read 24,912 times

Advertisements

The Side Bar Uptown (Downtown) will be closing to become a Verizon Wireless store. Not sure exactly when this will happen but the alleyway will be opened so you can access the new parking deck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 06:28 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,195,071 times
When did Bank of America downtown leave/close? I noticed the "closed" sign in the drive-thru windows and the BOA signage is gone.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:34 PM

839 posts, read 1,041,470 times
Wow, a verizon store uptown! Good to see business like that moving to the area. They should do great with the college kids and it will look a whole lot nicer than the side bar mess does now. That whole area is really turning around now. So good to see.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:31 PM

137 posts, read 141,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
When did Bank of America downtown leave/close? I noticed the "closed" sign in the drive-thru windows and the BOA signage is gone.
Good! That creates an opportunity to do something spectacular with that block. It's a great location and most of the block was just a parking lot anyway. Suburban design downtown was ok in the seventies, but not today. There needs to be a mixed use development there with residential, retail, dining, entertainment, office space, and maybe even a branch location for BofA. It also needs to be at least 4-5 stories with residential overlooking the Town Common.

I looked up the owners of that property a year or two ago and its owned by some kind of investment company in California, if I remember correctly. Maybe they can be convinced that downtown Greenville is a place they need to invest in.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
Good! That creates an opportunity to do something spectacular with that block. It's a great location and most of the block was just a parking lot anyway. Suburban design downtown was ok in the seventies, but not today. There needs to be a mixed use development there with residential, retail, dining, entertainment, office space, and maybe even a branch location for BofA. It also needs to be at least 4-5 stories with residential overlooking the Town Common.

I looked up the owners of that property a year or two ago and its owned by some kind of investment company in California, if I remember correctly. Maybe they can be convinced that downtown Greenville is a place they need to invest in.
I agree it is a "wasted" block. But I don't remember hearing anything about them closing. There are many city blocks that need to receive the HOPEFUL same redevelopment.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:00 AM

I wonder where the County is in moving their facilities. There was talk about them parting ways from the old Hospital building completely. They would move either across the river (near the Detention Center) or downtown. Even though it will cost more, I would hope they move to and consolidate to a new large building downtown.

We would have the influx of foot traffic from the hundreds that work at the old hospital now. That would spur more retail/restaurant growth to support those people. PLUS (HOPEFULLY, maybe), they would sell their current parcels they own downtown. For example, the Tax Collector building, Sheriffs Office, Probation office, ABC Board, etc could all move into the "New" County Government Building. That would make using County services easier.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:17 AM

Has anyone seen this "grassroots" website about creating a Lake Greenville? The website advocates for the benefits about building a dam near Port Terminal.

I know I have personally thought about this. I think there would be many benefits. They call for the lake to have the same boundaries as the 100-year floodplain. That would basically remove most/all of the houses north of 1st St. But could you imagine the houses that would get replaced? HUGE lake houses. Plus the benefit the citizens would receive from having a lake to live and play on.

I looked for a map, but couldn't find a good one.

Lake Greenville, NC - Lake Greenville, NC - Home

Old 11-06-2014, 09:50 AM

68 posts, read 101,748 times
That seems like a fantastic idea....it could do wonders for the economy

Old 11-06-2014, 12:12 PM

1,070 posts, read 989,265 times
Bank of America had a news story out a few weeks ago about selling some branches and closing others in ENC, but nothing about Greenville was mentioned.

I hope the Verizon store downtown is a corporate owned store and not one of the seedy "agent" dealer-type stores. Otherwise it's kind of useless for customer service needs. But it is really cool to see that kind of development downtown. Just a couple years ago who'd have thought we'd get this kind of development downtown so quickly.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:17 PM

839 posts, read 1,041,470 times
^ yeah, if it's a true Verizon store it's a great thing for the area. If it's one of the 2-5-2 Cellular type stores or some authorized Verizon dealer store then meh...but honestly just revamping that section of building with an actual storefront & opening the alleyway will be worth it alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina