U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-13-2014, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
1,069 posts, read 984,724 times
Reputation: 591

Advertisements

I'm not sure that connecting Thomas Langston and Frontgate is the best idea. It's linking two bad neighborhoods and providing access to shopping areas in between. Just like what's surrounding Wal Mart now. I don't really see it easing access to much of anything otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2014, 05:00 AM
 
2,401 posts, read 3,359,858 times
Reputation: 1406
I think they are making the right choices on the Bond items...when the 10th St Connector is done, it makes sense to have the 10th St and Dickinson improvements be a part of that bigger project. These kind of improvements will make all of the land off of 10th St more likely for redevelopment. Have to think about it in 5 year or 10 year increments. Put the infrastructure in and then watch the private sector take advantage of it.

Then you can think about funding for a ballpark. Its too early to think about it now. The reality is that the 10th St connector took 20 years to come to fruition and there is a lot of deferred maintenance in the area it impacts. A new downtown is underway, but is still 10 years away from what it can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2014, 01:00 PM
 
1,021 posts, read 1,004,031 times
Reputation: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I think they are making the right choices on the Bond items...when the 10th St Connector is done, it makes sense to have the 10th St and Dickinson improvements be a part of that bigger project. These kind of improvements will make all of the land off of 10th St more likely for redevelopment. Have to think about it in 5 year or 10 year increments. Put the infrastructure in and then watch the private sector take advantage of it.

Then you can think about funding for a ballpark. Its too early to think about it now. The reality is that the 10th St connector took 20 years to come to fruition and there is a lot of deferred maintenance in the area it impacts. A new downtown is underway, but is still 10 years away from what it can be.
Overall, I agree. I think the Sports complex will be an excellent addition. Hopefully a multipurpose soccer/football/lacrosse field with some seating to host tournaments is in the plans. A downtown ball park can wait until the Dickinson area has the right infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2014, 02:07 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
2,078 posts, read 5,043,285 times
Reputation: 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
What is the "the Frontgate project"
It's to connect Frontgate Dr to Thomas Langston Rd. The only reason I can see to do this is because some developer has requested it. In looking at the aerial view, I can see the reason since it's directly behind the Galleria where Dick's and Kohl's are. The rearward portions of that space are owned by a different party than the party that owns The Galleria. An interesting fact about the parcels that the road would go through is that they're not in the city at this time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2014, 10:06 AM
 
3,323 posts, read 5,186,224 times
Reputation: 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
It's to connect Frontgate Dr to Thomas Langston Rd. The only reason I can see to do this is because some developer has requested it. In looking at the aerial view, I can see the reason since it's directly behind the Galleria where Dick's and Kohl's are. The rearward portions of that space are owned by a different party than the party that owns The Galleria. An interesting fact about the parcels that the road would go through is that they're not in the city at this time.
I REALLY wish that whole section of Greenville Blvd/Allen Road would receive a makeover. Create a new ordinance to ban Mobile Homes within city limits (probably grandfather current MH would be the only way). Then figure some way to get rid of those mobile homes. Then it would be nice to raze the Kristen Drive....neighborhood.

Then make Allen Road 4/5 lanes from Dickinson to Stantonsburg, while there is still room to. Then extend Allen Road from its current terminus at MacGregor Downs Road to 5th St. That would remove some of the traffic on Stantonsburg/Arlington driving to the Hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2014, 03:36 PM
 
145 posts, read 221,939 times
Reputation: 32
The project is called Frontgate Retail Corridor so there must be a large development project in the works which has convinced them to build this road. I'm excited to see how this turns out!

On another topic. The Gateway East and West dorm project is making great progress! One of the dorms has just started on the 6th floor and it looks like they are starting to put plywood or brick on the bottom floors!

If anyone has a current picture of The Boundary project then it would be awesome to see the progress!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2014, 09:23 AM
 
3,323 posts, read 5,186,224 times
Reputation: 2359
City leaders break ground on $4.5 million Greenville Convention Center expansion

City leaders broke ground Tuesday on a pricey expansion to the Greenville Convention Center.

A groundbreaking ceremony on Greenville Boulevard was held where the center's new terrace area will be built. Nine breakout rooms and a ballroom are also being added.

The $4.5 million upgrade includes an interior refresh process and will add 12,000 sq. ft. to the Convention Center's existing 60,000 sq. feet. The addition will make it the largest meeting facility in Eastern Carolina.

Greenville Mayor Allen Thomas says it was made possible through a public-private partnership with the City of Greenville and Convention Center.

"For Eastern Carolina, it's millions of new revenue," says Thomas. "Conferences that were held in regional cities, maybe in Tennessee and Virginia and other areas, now can come to Greenville, North Carolina. We're competing on a regional level across the country now for millions of dollars of events."

Thomas says the center will be fully operational throughout the expansion. It's supposed to be completed by June 2015.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2014, 09:25 AM
 
3,323 posts, read 5,186,224 times
Reputation: 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
City leaders break ground on $4.5 million Greenville Convention Center expansion

City leaders broke ground Tuesday on a pricey expansion to the Greenville Convention Center.

A groundbreaking ceremony on Greenville Boulevard was held where the center's new terrace area will be built. Nine breakout rooms and a ballroom are also being added.

The $4.5 million upgrade includes an interior refresh process and will add 12,000 sq. ft. to the Convention Center's existing 60,000 sq. feet. The addition will make it the largest meeting facility in Eastern Carolina.

Greenville Mayor Allen Thomas says it was made possible through a public-private partnership with the City of Greenville and Convention Center.

"For Eastern Carolina, it's millions of new revenue," says Thomas. "Conferences that were held in regional cities, maybe in Tennessee and Virginia and other areas, now can come to Greenville, North Carolina. We're competing on a regional level across the country now for millions of dollars of events."

Thomas says the center will be fully operational throughout the expansion. It's supposed to be completed by June 2015.
I can't recall the specifics on how this will be paid, but IIRC, it doesn't come from any new taxes or anything. I want to say it comes from the current city hotel tax.

I really wish WITN would put that in their articles. They make it sound like the City is giving $4.5mil to build this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2014, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
839 posts, read 1,039,749 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
If anyone has a current picture of The Boundary project then it would be awesome to see the progress!
Here are a few pics, though they are not very good. Snapped them as I was passing by....





Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2014, 08:25 AM
 
145 posts, read 221,939 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Here are a few pics, though they are not very good. Snapped them as I was passing by....
Wow, that's great! I didn't know they had started on the brick already! Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top