U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 10:15 AM

39 posts, read 59,767 times

Advertisements

Why does everyone keep referring to I-44? That interstate runs from St. Louis, MO to Wichita Falls, TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 10:45 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,003,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyInNC View Post
Why does everyone keep referring to I-44? That interstate runs from St. Louis, MO to Wichita Falls, TX.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_44_(North_Carolina–Virginia)

no idea why they would want to call it I-44 if there is already an i-44.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:28 PM

153 posts, read 186,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPLANNER View Post
Hi Jrecufan,

I love the idea of a lake... Dig the lake in an open field somewhere, let the rain fill it up. That would be great for the area. That being said, I do prefer rivers to lakes.. but love water of all types. In this particular case, however, the big concern for me is the environmental consequences- that is what annoys me about the project. The technical infeasibility and his lack of a true plan is what makes me happy.... It will never be done... Below, I will paste my response to this from 11/6/14 on this same forum.
Ok. I actually read your post from back then - just didn't necessarily place the comments with your name. I'm with you & your explanation - just wanted clarification. Partly because I've seen some people making strong complaints (not on this board), without really knowing much about the situation.

I have to confess - in general, I'm not a water kind of guy. I do prefer rivers and lakes to the ocean, but truth be known, I should be living on the other end of the state in the mountains! But good information you provided for sure. And I'm with you on damming the Tar. That just doesn't strike me as feasible.

MichaelBond - I didn't know Benson had a lake. Looks cool.

Slight tangent, but in the 28 years I've lived here I've always thought Greenville should have a waterpark. I've been told a hundred times it would never make it here. But I see what's in Kinston and know it would work in Greenville. Tons of folks don't have the opportunity to head to the beach during the summer. I just think it would be a great idea for us. I just don't have the capital to make that happen.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:39 PM

153 posts, read 186,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_44_(North_Carolina–Virginia)

no idea why they would want to call it I-44 if there is already an i-44.
Driven it many times between Oklahoma City and Tulsa. Primary Interstate designations cannot be duplicated. Secondary ones like I-295, I-395 can, but cannot be duplicated within a state.

Interestingly, if approved, I-44 from NC to VA would simply be a "non-contiguous" section of the existing I-44 in the Southwest. Don't know that I've ever seen them do that. Interesting.

Future Interstate Highways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-11-2015, 09:42 PM

1,069 posts, read 984,724 times
I-74 runs through Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio, then stops near Cincy but picks back up in NC north of Winston-Salem.

I drive to downtown Norfolk from Greenville 1-2 times per week. It is the worst; there is no consistently good route to travel. Sometimes I go up 11/13, sometimes (especially at night) I use 17. Neither way is great, but 17 has promise since a lot of it is freeway. Hampton Roads is not THAT far away. I feel like a continuous freeway between here and there could be a game changer for the area.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:54 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,554,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitrinite View Post
Seems like a typical upper management "calm the natives" kind of public statement.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:07 AM

293 posts, read 270,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I-74 runs through Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio, then stops near Cincy but picks back up in NC north of Winston-Salem.

I drive to downtown Norfolk from Greenville 1-2 times per week. It is the worst; there is no consistently good route to travel. Sometimes I go up 11/13, sometimes (especially at night) I use 17. Neither way is great, but 17 has promise since a lot of it is freeway. Hampton Roads is not THAT far away. I feel like a continuous freeway between here and there could be a game changer for the area.
It absolutely would and will. I just feel like it makes better economical sense routing through Greenville and turning north at Washington rather than Tarboro and Bethel.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:39 AM

I think there should be an interstate 50, but it should run as follows

i - 50:

Starts in Virginia Beach and runs SW through Elizabeth City / Williamston / Greenville / Kinston / Then ending up in Wallace to connect to i-40. This would give a much faster route between Norfolk, Va and Wilmington, NC.

Also, the future i-495 that will run between Raleigh at 540 and I-95 in Rocky Mount should just be extended to meet up with the new interstate 50 in Williamston.

Several Spurs can be brought to i-50

i-250 - Starts in Williamston, runs east and ends in Nags Head.

i-450 - Starts east of Goldsboro, runs east through Kinston / New Bern / Havelock and ends in Morehead City.

i-650 - Starts near Beulavile and runs to Jacksonville.

This would greatly increase the ease of traffic flow in Eastern North Carolina. The interstate and spurs would connect all of the largest cities in Eastern NC and all of the armed force bases in Eastern NC.

This is all a vision, of course. it would probably take a few billion to get this anywhere close to working. But it all starts as a vision.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:01 PM

Here's some actual news about the new management group of the Carolina Ice Zone (formerly Bladez on Ice).

Quote:
Whether it is freezing outside or sunny and warm, there will be ice to play on year-round in Greenville with the arrival of a couple who know their way around a skating rink.

Carolina Ice Zone at 104 Red Banks Road is the new destination for people who would like to learn how to perform a triple Lutz and double axel, put on some pads and grab a hockey stick, or just have fun skating to music.

Stephanie Bardykin and her husband, Andrei, purchased the facility, formerly the home of Bladez on Ice, late last year. Bladez was owned by former Republican state Rep. Stephen LaRoque of Kinston, who pleaded guilty to stealing $150,000 from a federally funded nonprofit organization.

The Bardykins met when they toured together as pairs figure skaters with the Walt Disney World on Ice company, then retired to become private coaches in the Triangle. Stephanie had been a director of several rinks but had been on the lookout for one to purchase and run as her own, she said.

“I had some students who traveled from Greenville to Raleigh for lessons,” she said. “She mentioned to me that there was a rink available in Greenville.”

The Bardykins made several trips to Greenville to get a feel for the area and decide if they could make a go of the business as owners, she said.

“With all the kids I saw coming to Raleigh for lessons and hockey competitions, I could see there is an interest for skating here in Greenville,” Bardykin said. “My hope is to build on that interest beyond recreational skating to training skaters for more than that.”

Since purchasing the Greenville facility, the Bardykins have established instructional programs in figure skating and hockey-style skating and have developed youth and adult hockey leagues. They have more plans to expand their on-ice offerings once they get settled into their new environment, Bardykin said.

“We came into town sort mid-season, just able to handle the holiday rush, so we didn’t have much time then to promote other ideas,” she said. “We’re also working to establish broomball leagues,” she said.

Broomball is more of a recreational activity, using brooms and balls instead of hockey sticks and pucks, Bardykin said. Participants do not wear skates, just sneakers or shoes, she said.

“It’s more of a party activity, and you don’t need any skating ability or lessons to have fun doing it,” Bardykin said.

For those who do want to learn to play hockey, the Bardykins offer an expanded series of lesson formats several times a week, at two levels of skating ability.

“Ice hockey can be intimidating if you don’t know much about how to use the equipment, so we’re here to ease them into the sport and get them going and enjoying it. We’re working to grow interest in adult hockey in this area,” Stephanie said. “Our adult league is full right now with four teams of 11 skaters, with another league of more than 24 players, while the learn-to-play league has nearly 10 players.”

In addition to instructional hockey leagues, the couple offer ice time for pick-up hockey games. Ice time also is regularly scheduled for public recreational freestyle skating, but the Bardykins plan to offer Greenville residents a lot more this year than just skating in circles around their rink, Stephanie said.

“We have lots of fun things planned for the year ahead, including various special sessions to keep the fun going year-round,” she said. “We even have a summer camp program in the works, where kids can stay cool all summer on the ice.”

For information about skating services, lessons, leagues and corporate and private parties at Carolina Ice Zone, call Stephanie and Andrei Bardykin at 353-8888 or visit online at https://carolinaicezone.com.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:41 PM

293 posts, read 270,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I think there should be an interstate 50, but it should run as follows

i - 50:

Starts in Virginia Beach and runs SW through Elizabeth City / Williamston / Greenville / Kinston / Then ending up in Wallace to connect to i-40. This would give a much faster route between Norfolk, Va and Wilmington, NC.

Also, the future i-495 that will run between Raleigh at 540 and I-95 in Rocky Mount should just be extended to meet up with the new interstate 50 in Williamston.

Several Spurs can be brought to i-50

i-250 - Starts in Williamston, runs east and ends in Nags Head.

i-450 - Starts east of Goldsboro, runs east through Kinston / New Bern / Havelock and ends in Morehead City.

i-650 - Starts near Beulavile and runs to Jacksonville.

This would greatly increase the ease of traffic flow in Eastern North Carolina. The interstate and spurs would connect all of the largest cities in Eastern NC and all of the armed force bases in Eastern NC.

This is all a vision, of course. it would probably take a few billion to get this anywhere close to working. But it all starts as a vision.

Some interesting ideas, does the state even have a plan as such to open up the east? I doubt it as I have have never heard nor seen such a thing. With the SW bypass already booked perhaps something similar to your vision will happen eventually as a spur from the proposed I-44 in Bethel through Greenville and down to Kinston and into Wallace? I always though a north/south interstate that ran the coast was a good idea as I-95 pulls away from the coast near Savannah. Make 17 an interstate from the intersection with 95 just north of Hilton Head all the way to Norfolk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina