U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 04:15 PM

1,073 posts, read 989,648 times

Advertisements

All this new development is leased I think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 07:23 AM

840 posts, read 1,041,619 times
Yeah - the Registrar's Office in Uptown isn't owned by the University...they are just leasing it temporarily in an effort to free up space on main campus. The ultimate goal is to build a one-stop shop building supposedly on the corner across from Sup Dogs where that parking lot currently is...then the Registrar will be moved to there along with all the other student services...thus probably freeing up those buildings for office space. Hopefully by then the uptown area will have experienced further growth & it will be easier to recruit companies for these spaces...that or ECU will keep leasing it I guess, never know with the University.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:36 AM

Calvin Mercer is considering running for mayor in the next re-election...

http://www.reflector.com/news/mayoral-race-brews-greenville-2799761

Old 02-20-2015, 08:19 AM

ECU pursues downtown ABC building ...

The Daily Reflector

Old 02-20-2015, 11:47 AM

1,676 posts, read 2,046,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Calvin Mercer is considering running for mayor in the next re-election...

http://www.reflector.com/news/mayoral-race-brews-greenville-2799761

I know Politico threw out Mayor Allen Thomas' name as a potential US Senate candidate against Burr in 2016, but I'd rather see him (if he decides to move on) run for Govenor. It'd be nice to have someone in that seat to know ENC's situation.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:22 PM

145 posts, read 222,228 times
Quote:
ECU pursues downtown ABC building ...

The Daily Reflector
I'm getting a feeling that ECU is about to begin developing that block soon. I think moving the student services offices downtown is just the beginning of ECU's plans. I know that this is part of the campus master plans but I feel like it's about time for First Street to start being developed. I can't wait to see what the Taft and Ward companies are planning to do with the old bank property. Hopefully we will hear something in the next couple of months.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:01 PM

39 posts, read 59,856 times
Although the arrangement is relatively temporary, it seems counter-productive to me to fill what could be a retail storefront with an office use in the name of downtown revitalization. If this were a successful model, the 300-block of Evans Street would be extremely lively. But it is quiet during the day and even quieter at night. In many ways moving the Registrar's office downtown makes very little sense. This makes it much harder for students to access versus the previous centrally located office on campus. Also, the fact that ECU isn't even sure what to do with the vacated space in the Whichard Building says to me that this move was unnecessary -- they could have held out for a new multi-use student services building to be built. To me the Registrar's Office moving downtown only provides the opportunity for ECU Police to police that block of 5th street.

Last edited by ThatGuyInNC; 02-20-2015 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 02-20-2015, 01:35 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,196,893 times
Mayor Allen Thomas is seeking a 3rd term as well.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah - the Registrar's Office in Uptown isn't owned by the University...they are just leasing it temporarily in an effort to free up space on main campus. The ultimate goal is to build a one-stop shop building supposedly on the corner across from Sup Dogs where that parking lot currently is...then the Registrar will be moved to there along with all the other student services...thus probably freeing up those buildings for office space. Hopefully by then the uptown area will have experienced further growth & it will be easier to recruit companies for these spaces...that or ECU will keep leasing it I guess, never know with the University.
Right. ECU is currently at MAX capacity. There is no room for immediate expansion. So moving these student services downtown will help relieve bottlenecking in other buildings.

Assuming ECU is able to buy the ABC building (I don't see why not), they will own everything north of 4th St, from Cotanche east. Plus 1/4 of the block on the Sup Dogs block and everything east of Reade.

That will prime ECU to start executing MAJOR redevelopment downtown.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:52 PM

White Residence Hall will undergo Phase 3, scheduled to begin construction in January 2016 and complete in July 2016, includes substantial renovation and replacement of the building’s exterior facades. In this process the image of the building will change substantially.

I am glad to see ECU changing all of their buildings to this Spanish-mission type architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina