U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 02:19 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,186,224 times

Advertisements

ECU is planning for a East Carolina Research and Innovation Campus, aka the Millennial Campus. ECRIC will drive creation of Greenville’s planned Arts & Innovation District.

ECU has strategically identified five areas of property for the millennial designation including the:

1) Warehouse District properties;
  • 22.3 acres (8.8 undeveloped)
  • includes three buildings (the American Tobacco Company Storage Warehouse #2, the Export Leaf Factory (“Haynie Building”), and the Prichard-Hughes Warehouse) designated as historically significant within the Greenville Tobacco Warehouse National Register Historic District.
  • high-value, research-oriented sectors such as applied sciences and the burgeoning “app economy”; highly creative fields such as industrial design, graphic arts, media and architecture; and highly specialized, small batch manufacturing.

2) Uptown Area properties;
  • 19.04 acres (including 14 acres of surface parking)
  • Possibilities for this area a Visual and Performing Arts Center, Hotel and Conference Center, and/or Alumni Center

3) Health Science Campus;
  • ECU, Vidant and the VA offer significant opportunities for patient-centered clinical research, discovery and innovation with industry, government, military and community partners.

4) Stratford Arms and Blount Field Area properties; and
  • 72.85 total acres, including 32.8 undeveloped acres
  • Could be similar to NC State’s Centennial Campus, Raleigh’s North Hills, and Durham’s West Village and American Tobacco District with public-private partnerships
5) the Coastal Studies Institute properties (Manteo, NC).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 02:32 PM

105 posts, read 181,628 times
Those warehouses have so much potential. They are beautiful. I really do hope that they will be properly renovated and put to use! They are one of my favorite things about the cleaning out of those buildings on 10th.... it gives more visibility for these buildings. I would love to see some renders of possible uses of these facilities.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:36 PM

3,286 posts, read 5,436,304 times
Land Purchased For Walmart Supercenter
The Daily Reflector

My question is this, is Walmart seeking to become the largest employer in Pitt County? Three Walmart's, three or four Walmart Neighborhood Stores, and I'm sure they are planning more to come since Farmville hasn't been touched just yet.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:52 AM

112 posts, read 103,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
The Daily Reflector

My question is this, is Walmart seeking to become the largest employer in Pitt County? Three Walmart's, three or four Walmart Neighborhood Stores, and I'm sure they are planning more to come since Farmville hasn't been touched just yet.
Last I heard, the old Walmart on Greenville Blvd will be torn down when the new one north of the river is built. Apparently the convention center has shown interest in the land.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:19 AM

1,673 posts, read 2,041,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty Drummer View Post
Last I heard, the old Walmart on Greenville Blvd will be torn down when the new one north of the river is built. Apparently the convention center has shown interest in the land.
Old rumor.

The convention center is currently being expanded and will not be moving.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:36 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,360,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
The Daily Reflector

Keep in mind the folks that come into town on Highway 11. And then remember what that interchange WILL BE. It will be the dropoff point of the Highway 11 bypass. Now, traffic can get there from 4 directions (not including Stokes). And eventually the through traffic on Highway 11 from the South will drop off there. With all of the industrial in that area, I would expect more and more basic commercial development near that interchange. This center will also pull from the Medical area and West Greenville.

Makes a ton of sense to me considering Wal-Mart's demographic model.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:11 PM

1,069 posts, read 985,225 times
There is plenty of Walmart's own business to grab. They don't care as long as you are in one of their stores. Belvoir and Bethel people shop in Tarboro; Stokes and Robersonville people shop in Washington or Williamston. Some of that business will transition to this store I'm sure.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:07 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,749 times
I read the above info about Wal-Mart & realized this was just a rehash of information, I was thinking they are building yet another but this is the same one that was mentioned months ago when the markets were announced...I guess they are just now getting on with the process.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:17 PM

181 posts, read 185,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyInNC View Post
Although the arrangement is relatively temporary, it seems counter-productive to me to fill what could be a retail storefront with an office use in the name of downtown revitalization. If this were a successful model, the 300-block of Evans Street would be extremely lively. But it is quiet during the day and even quieter at night. In many ways moving the Registrar's office downtown makes very little sense. This makes it much harder for students to access versus the previous centrally located office on campus. Also, the fact that ECU isn't even sure what to do with the vacated space in the Whichard Building says to me that this move was unnecessary -- they could have held out for a new multi-use student services building to be built. To me the Registrar's Office moving downtown only provides the opportunity for ECU Police to police that block of 5th street.
The reason ECU made this arrangement with Greenville is because that particular plot on 5th street, along with the one next to it (the former Phoenix and Attic location), as well as the one behind it on Cotanche (the former Rumors location), weren't developed to be retail locations. They were developed to be office space. The retail space is what's currently occupied by Campus Corner, Campus Cookies, and the Boundary Leasing office.

ECU moved to that spot because Greenville worried that they wouldn't be able to recruit a private company to fill that space quite yet - and they're likely right on that - so the temporary location gives them a tenant while they continue that development (ECU development along Reade St. toward First St. and Greenville development along Cotanche toward the bars).

In terms of Evans, you're right that it's not lively right now, but Rome wasn't built in a day. There are bad tenants there right now still living through leases, and there isn't enough draw quite yet to bring other private folks in. That strip of Evans is still attractive looking, so it wasn't priority number 1 to renovate like the 5th street and Cotanche superblock was.

Once the Superblock is complete and full, ECU starts to develop along Reade, the hotel is planned and construction begins, and the Boundary residential and retail is complete, that block of Evans St. is in position to become some of the more luxurious retail and dining in downtown. It's just natural geography due to the attractiveness of that block.

Like I said, Rome wasn't built in a day, there's a lot of moving parts that need to come together and it's weird looking at it in the in between stage, but once a few more things are complete - most notably the Boundary - that central area of downtown is going to explode because people are interested in it.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:55 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,360,902 times
PP189 is dead on correct. I have criticized on this forum ECU's "supposed" investment in downtown, which until now has been virtually non existent. In that I mean, sure ECU bought up property but haven't "developed" anything...unless you consider a parking lot...development.

So in this situation ECU is helping the fuel the rehab of that block. The office space can be used for other offices down the road. That's a good thing. It also creates more of a market for redevelopment of existing commercial space by using up some of its inventory.

That being said, the thing that would help out downtown the most are hotels. All the other stuff is just laying a foundation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina