U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 01:37 PM

22 posts, read 40,147 times

Advertisements

Hyatt downtown?? I heard from a downtown business owner that a Hyatt will be built where the old bus terminal is. This sounded like it was a definite. I have heard about a hotel being built downtown for years, but this was the most concrete I've heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 08:19 PM

451 posts, read 1,689,118 times
Uptown Greenville has been trying to get a hotel to locate uptown for years...interesting location. Would love to hear more info about this. If this happens that would be great for the whole area.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:41 PM

3,287 posts, read 5,438,783 times
I as well would want to know more info about that. I could never picture a Hyatt in greenville, maybe another holiday inn or hampton inn buyt Hyatt? That's something more serious especially for downtown greenville lol I would expect them to chose something by the hospital.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:44 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,045,486 times
A Hyatt in downtown Greenville exactly what they need to spur some real rehabilitation there.

As an aside....

Apparently the plans are still on for the Walmart on E. 10th St/33. I welcome this news and encourage them to start building tomorrow. But... The developers are working on something larger than just a Walmart and small shopping center. They have applied for rezoning across 33 from the Food Lion. It is a .92 acre parcel. Why are they worried about a tiny parcel across the street from their new development?

The Daily Reflector

Old 12-16-2010, 08:02 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,109,175 times
I could see Greenville with a Hyatt Place...but I wonder what kind of incentives would be needed to get one downtown?

Old 12-16-2010, 08:07 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,189,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
I could see Greenville with a Hyatt Place...but I wonder what kind of incentives would be needed to get one downtown?
ECU in the recent (Ballards tenure) has been vocal about wanting a hotel downtown. Along with more ECU office space, alumni center and preforming arts center.

Something like the above would pull "desirable" people downtown. That would spur higher end restaurants and other activities.

If you look at the official maps, ECU really has a lot of land downtown. I just wish we had another catalyst to help with growth (i.e. a decent sized business other than lawyers/governmental). They would bring an influx of money.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:07 PM

105 posts, read 145,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jne7043 View Post
Hyatt downtown?? I heard from a downtown business owner that a Hyatt will be built where the old bus terminal is. This sounded like it was a definite. I have heard about a hotel being built downtown for years, but this was the most concrete I've heard.
I was completely shocked when I read your message. I was passing by the old bus station the other day & thought to myself, this would be the perfect spot for a hotel and would be within walking distance to restaurants, the proposed theater restoration & stores in the downtown area. What a boost this would be for revitalization of downtown.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:15 PM

3,287 posts, read 5,438,783 times
I can see a hyatt place too! Now that's a good idea, I don't know if we can support a hyatt. But downtown is growing, which is a great thing and they are making efforts to bring new developments. But I kind of wish they would renovate the three or four towers, the 10 level ones because they are vocal point in a way and form 'the greenville skyline' (if that's even the right term lol)..
ALSO! The carmike NEEDS to be renovated BADLY!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:00 PM

208 posts, read 325,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
A Hyatt in downtown Greenville exactly what they need to spur some real rehabilitation there.

As an aside....

Apparently the plans are still on for the Walmart on E. 10th St/33. I welcome this news and encourage them to start building tomorrow. But... The developers are working on something larger than just a Walmart and small shopping center. They have applied for rezoning across 33 from the Food Lion. It is a .92 acre parcel. Why are they worried about a tiny parcel across the street from their new development?

The Daily Reflector
I wonder when construction will start on the new walmart project?

Old 12-20-2010, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,277 times
Don't we have enough chain restaurants would be a better question. People stand in line in this town to slurp up food in huge portions that all tastes and looks the same. JUst what we don't need is another big chain restaurant that sends it's profits to wherever corporate headquarters is located and does little to bring anything more than some tax revenues and a handful of low wage jobs for college students. WHat would be good for this town is more independent, eclectic restaurants with healthier offerings and appropriate portions of high quality food that utilize local produce and products. Every restaurant named above offers very similar menus with the exception of PF CHang and we have plenty of good Chinese in town already. And to the person that says everything in the building on the corner of Reade fails, Marathon (under a different owner than the one located where Margauxs used to be) was in that space for many many years and did quite well. A half decent architect could make elevation improvements on that building quite easily that would give it more curb appeal but the owner of the building is unwilling to do that. Same story on the old (I think it was Western Sizzler) building on 10th.About 25% of the retail space in this town is unoccupied and the last thing we need is another mall. Seems to be the idea of a decent mall went down the tubes with Fresh Market's arrival. Cannot even get a decent tenant to move there and what would be the point when the people that shop here barely support the merchants that are here already. Supporting big chains is nothing but a death sentence for the independent retailers and restauranteurs none of which offer anything unique or special. I had high hopes for Winslow's but the wait staff is deplorable and trying to go there with a group of adults is akin to going to a bar for a casual dinner and the DJ or the music is so amazingly loud that no one can have an intelligent conversation without screaming. We have gone their several times and promptly at 8pm the music starts blaring and their focus is on getting the college bar crowd in the door. The last time we went we tried to take a group of 12 and were told they didn't allow large parties for dinner and then the waitress was so stupid that every single question someone asked her she giggled and barely squeaked out that she was a vegetarian and would never eat anything on the menu but, it looked good on the plate. Brilliant. Copper and Vine, I have faith in you guys!!! And they know more than a little something about wines other than (real question to Winslow's waitstaff) "do you have a list of white wines?" response.... "well (tee hee hee, I know we have white zinfandel it's supposed to be good." Starlight seems to have gone from fabulous french bistro to confused global fusion and alas we spend a decent amount of time driving to Kinston for Chef and the Farmer or Tarboro for On the Square. Kudos to those two towns that can support an independent restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina