U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2015, 02:21 PM

294 posts, read 271,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Great post MB...I-44 even though not directly going through Greenville would be a help to the region as a whole...especially the North Greenville industrial area and its future prospects. When the surveys ask how far are you from interstate access, they can answer 9-10 miles (to Bethel) instead of 30-35 miles to I-95.

Looks like construction is behind schedule on the 10th St connector, probably because of design...believe the bids originally were supposed to go out in December 2014 with work to start by the summer.
I wonder if we could get Hwy 13 from the Greenville by-pass to 64 up to interstate grade for a I-44 spur....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 02:47 PM

3,288 posts, read 5,439,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
I wonder if we could get Hwy 13 from the Greenville by-pass to 64 up to interstate grade for a I-44 spur....
Have Thomas Allen run governor (there has been speculation of him running for the House) someday, and maybe Greenville will be able to get more highways, interstates specifically, constructed.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:48 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,043,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Taft-Ward announce new student housing

The Daily Reflector

Key points:

A $54 million new student housing development is coming to Greenville, developers announced Wednesday.

The tower will contain 20,000 square feet of retail, a 700-car parking deck, courtyards, resort-style pool, outdoor amenity center, state-of-the-art fitness center and a roof-top sky-view terrace. The community will comprise 16 floor plans with studios, one-bedroom, two-bedroom, three-bedroom and four-bedroom units.

The community will capitalize on the construction of the $22 million 10th Street Connector project and will be directly across the street from the recently announced $122 million ECU Student Union scheduled to break ground this summer.
I read the full article before they changed it and hid it for subscribers only. Do I remember right - did it say Charles St., rather than Charles Blvd.? If so, will this be where the former gas station is (next to Krispy Kreme), or will it go on the Arby's side?

Old 05-20-2015, 06:07 PM

209 posts, read 325,759 times
When is construction suppose to start on the Walmart Super center behind Sheetz on Hwy 11N?

Old 05-21-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
I read the full article before they changed it and hid it for subscribers only. Do I remember right - did it say Charles St., rather than Charles Blvd.? If so, will this be where the former gas station is (next to Krispy Kreme), or will it go on the Arby's side?
I had to go back and look again, I glossed over it thinking it was talking about the Boundary...

Thats another big development! If it is "directly across the street" from the new student center, I guess it is the Arbys side, but I wonder if it is behind it or do they own the property there, sunshine factory too...

Old 05-21-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
I had to go back and look again, I glossed over it thinking it was talking about the Boundary...

Thats another big development! If it is "directly across the street" from the new student center, I guess it is the Arbys side, but I wonder if it is behind it or do they own the property there, sunshine factory too...
Check that, you were right its the Gas station side. I checked OPIS and Taft-Ward own the whole block there.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:46 AM

839 posts, read 1,040,413 times
this new development is another huge bump for the uptown area. I'm really intrigued by the location of this. I'm assuming they'll leave krispy kreme & the little strip mall thing in place & build on the rest of the land? Maybe they can put in a road in between. It would be nice if they could get rid of KK & the strip mall & let those places move into one of the retail buildings under the apartments..though I'm not sure KK would go for that.

All this student housing in the area should really help get some legit businesses in the area once the 10th street connect is finished.

Last edited by jpirate; 05-21-2015 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: q

Old 05-22-2015, 06:57 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,005,562 times
DR article about ECU athletic facilities hosting other events.

Quote:
The beginning of a new venture for the East Carolina athletics department will be marked by the arrival of a rotund, blue, cookie-munching monster and his friends.

Cookie Monster, Elmo, Grover and more will perform in Sesame Street Live “Make a New Friend” on Tuesday and Wednesday inside Minges Coliseum, an event organized by the ECU Athletics Department in an effort to raise additional revenue for its programs.

Sesame Street is the first of what the school hopes will be many live events slated to be held at the school’s athletics facilities, including Minges and Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium.

“All athletics departments across the country are looking for other ways to generate additional revenue,” ECU athletics director Jeff Compher said. “We’ve got great facilities and very good people who know how to run events. We thought, ‘We could run more than just sporting events. Let’s look at some entertainment events as well as an opportunity to bring people to our campus and an opportunity to use our facilities. Our football stadium, for instance, (aside from) the seven or eight days of the year that we use it, we could maybe put it to use for some other events as well as Minges Coliseum and other areas in our athletics department facilities.’”

Fundraising is a constant effort in university athletics programs, but ECU’s recent announcement that it would be the first in the American Athletic Conference to provide cost of attendance benefits to all student-athletes put more serious and immediate demands on the necessity to generate additional funds.

“For us, especially with things like cost of attendance, I think it’s incumbent upon us to find additional revenue sources, and this is certainly one of them,” Compher said.

Though actively seeking out events to bring to athletics facilities is new to ECU, the idea isn’t without precedent. ECU athletics department facilities hosted several events in the last year, including a WWE Live event, a performance by the Harlem Globetrotters and a worship and wisdom conference featuring speaker Bishop T.D. Jakes.

“Those kinds of events came to us,” Compher said. “We have other events like that that come to us that ask to use our facilities. I think our emphasis now is actually going out to the marketplace and seeing if we can partner with promoters and other entertainment ventures to say ‘What else can we bring to our campus and to our community?’”

Athletics departments shopping out their facilities for outside use in order to generate additional money is also not a new concept. Compher said he assisted in similar efforts when he was working in the athletics department at N.C. State.

“We had several concerts at Carter-Finley Stadium that I was a part of,” he said. “I ran the ushers one time when we had Paul McCartney come in. We had a lot of groups come in. So, it’s always been out there, but I think now it’s more of a concerted effort to do it.”

Sesame Street Live is the first event secured by the ECU athletics department in its new venture.

“We thought it would be a family event, something that is near the end of the school year when the kids are getting a little crazy, anticipating the end of the school year and maybe give a break to parents and families to come out and enjoy an evening with Sesame Street, who I think everybody loves.”

The show will feature Sesame Street characters Elmo, Grover, Abby Cadabby, Cookie Monster and more as they welcome Chamki, Grover’s friend from India, to Sesame Street with singing and dancing.

Other events that the athletics department is pursuing have not yet been announced.

“We’re still in the process of looking at several concerts for this fall,” Compher said. “Discussions are going well, but we haven’t signed a contract yet. Therefore I’m a little hesitant to say anything about it. But I do think that there are kind of a variety of events that I think will be very popular with our community, including the students on our campus, as well as our community as a whole.”

Compher said he forsees several events each year in Minges Coliseum, as well as one or two in Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium as part of the new initiative, all of which will be scheduled around the teams’ games and practices, which will remain the department’s priority.

“We know that we’re taking on additional responsibilities by doing this,” Compher said. “It’s almost like we’re adding games to our schedule. So, it is really a team effort within our department to do this. ... Everybody’s pitching in because they realize we need to provide additional resources to help fund our department and I just appreciate everyone’s effort.”

This is perfect and should have been done several years ago. ECU is finally seeing the value in trying to get events here and the income that it can bring. I know several years ago they wouldn't even think of having other events in any of the facilities on campus. I hope they will be able to have many more events and eventually convince the city of the need of a new civic center in town.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:25 AM

839 posts, read 1,040,413 times
Quote:
This is perfect and should have been done several years ago. ECU is finally seeing the value in trying to get events here and the income that it can bring. I know several years ago they wouldn't even think of having other events in any of the facilities on campus. I hope they will be able to have many more events and eventually convince the city of the need of a new civic center in town.
I agree 100%. Why they had their thumb up their you know what for so long on these type of events is beyond me. The number of people in Greenville that travel to Raleigh many times a year for concerts & shows should show that the demand is there. I would have bought some of the Sesame St. tickets if my kids were the appropriate age. One is too old and the other too young, but next year if they come back I'll purchase tickets.

I've heard rumors of Jimmy Buffett and a legit country music singer at Dowdy-Ficklen but that was only rumors. I'm excited to see some entertainment options come to Greenville whatever they might be.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:39 PM

181 posts, read 185,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
From the daily reflector:

The Daily Reflector

5 years from now, things will be so different in DT Greenville!
My same thought too. Imagine center-city Greenville and the area directly surrounding it in 5-7 years:

- 10th Street Connector (to go along with Vidant Cancer Center and Med School improvements)
- New student centers
- Millennial Campus/Dickinson Ave revitalization (road construction will barely have started, but imagine what that district will be like - Offices and research in renovated warehouses, restaurants, brewery, art, science center)
- New student housing on 10th street to go with Boundary
- Live/Play community on 1st st.
- Town Common improvements
- Downtown building renovations (Theatre, new shopping/restaurant/business tenants, continued restoration)
- ECU development toward 1st st. (I foresee Alumni Center, Performing Arts Center will be at least designed by then)
- Dowdy Ficklen Stadium expansion/improvements will likely be under construction or near construction, this to go along with the concerts/events the Athletic Department wants to start

Geez and I'm probably missing some stuff...Greenville in 2020 is going to be a really unique and quaint place to live. It's hard not to say that this is a sleeping giant, Greenville Metro being 100,000+ people wanting to see a better place is really causing investors to open their eyes. Really nice mixture of private and public development here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina