U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 02:18 PM

294 posts, read 271,436 times

Advertisements

I like the look and the expansion is a great thing. Has there been any more mention of the Wal Mart across the street being torn down and sold? (to the hotel group IIRC)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 05:29 PM

36 posts, read 53,685 times
Just heard from a friend that works at K-Mart in Greenville. She said the regional manager informed them today that the store would be closing.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:11 AM

839 posts, read 1,040,413 times
^ I'm shocked they have made it this long...but honestly more shocked Sears is still around in Greenville. I never see anyone there...never.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:40 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,363,912 times
That K-Mart has a great location between Charles/Arlington and on Greenville Blvd...betting that spot is scooped up quickly. May help the rest of area around there to have a new tenant.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:12 AM

1,674 posts, read 2,043,456 times
When the economy was real, real bad a few years back, I remember the Greenville KMart being on the local news, boasting about how they were one of the more successful stores in the Carolinas. Perhaps that was true in those horrible economic conditions, but KMart just doesn't reinvest in itself with updated product lines, new locations, or even remodels. I was wondering if Target ever opened a SuperTarget and abandoned University Commons if KMart would take over that spot, but I don't suppose either will happen.

If KMart closes it would be a great opportunity to reinvent the mall area on both sides of the traffic light, just as they did (and still doing) with the old Carolina East Mall. Just keep Carolina Ale House, Mellow Mushroom, the banks down near Red Banks, the McAlister's strip, and the vitamin store; and tear down and start over on everything else. The McAlister's strip could be connected directly with the mall property. I can imagine a new Belk and a Publix, along with other similar stores would do well in that area if it were renewed. There could maybe even be a Taft-Ward type of student apartment complex in the back of it along Wall St. The empty KMart could be utilized as a temporary home (with superficial upgrades, of course) to either Belk or Dunham's during the rebuild.

As far as the KMart shopping center, it might be a great spot to have a couple of good hotels, being so close to the ECU stadiums. ECU could even have a gate they could open on event/game that would allow hotel guests to walk through to the stadiums, rather than walk or drive around the block.

The KMart center is run down and the mall is antiquated. It's too popular of an area to just keep these complexes 'as is'.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:39 PM

1,069 posts, read 986,361 times
I've wondered if Target plans to stay where they are. Greenville Target is in bad need of a remodel. It seems "forgotten."

Old 06-17-2015, 01:40 PM

20 posts, read 29,454 times
I work with a guy who recently moved here from Minneapolis, and had worked at Target HQ. I'm told that Target is no longer building Supercenters and that they have stopped remodeling the "GM" (general merchandise) stores, which is what we have here in Greenville. It sounds like we're going to be stuck with for awhile, unless Target changes their tune.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:43 PM

1,069 posts, read 986,361 times
With Walmart building every variation of itself that they can think of, that seems incredibly short sighted by Target. Wonder what the reasoning is.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:09 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,043,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
With Walmart building every variation of itself that they can think of, that seems incredibly short sighted by Target. Wonder what the reasoning is.
They got hit pretty hard on the credit card breach. If their position on remodels doesn't change at some point, they'll become the next KMart.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:29 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,046,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bichonsforev View Post
Every time I drive past that place I dream about reviving it. I wonder why it went out of business in the first place.
I ate there several times. Good American food at great prices. It was a family run business and if I remember correctly, there was an illness in the family that necessitated the closing of the business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina