U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 11:07 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,165 times

Advertisements

^ i feel the same way. Looks like my grandparents designed it, but not in a cool way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 01:21 PM

82 posts, read 98,240 times
There was another design in question that looked a lot better imo. But, they claimed the wooden one complimented the other architecture in the city.

Also, a office and conference center is being built at 5th and Arlington in front of the Heritage Apartments. They've already started laying pipes in the ground. Looks like it will be nice.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:45 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,039,592 times
http://www.greenvillenc.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=9407

Both designs can be seen here. Not much difference between the two. I'm not a big fan of either of them, but I think I like design B a little better. It's not overcrowded with all the posts on the side as it as on A. I thought they were buying those two houses on Clark and tearing them down. Did they change their mind?

Old 06-19-2015, 09:16 PM

153 posts, read 186,646 times
I get tired of the inconsistent architecture in Greenville...everyone trying to be "unique" in what they design. Why can't we stick with the predominant ECU architecture. This really looks like 50's/60's stuff and will be dated very quickly. The old part of Vidant Medical Center with it's weird white crap looks awful these days. Thankfully they're disguising much of it by putting newer stuff in front of it.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:25 PM

Greenville Kmart closing its doors in September

Old 06-19-2015, 10:55 PM

Boundary developers: Complex will open on time

Old 06-20-2015, 11:01 AM

293 posts, read 270,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
I get tired of the inconsistent architecture in Greenville...everyone trying to be "unique" in what they design. Why can't we stick with the predominant ECU architecture. This really looks like 50's/60's stuff and will be dated very quickly. The old part of Vidant Medical Center with it's weird white crap looks awful these days. Thankfully they're disguising much of it by putting newer stuff in front of it.
I agree the white was a questionable choice, but they have done an excellent job blending the new constructions with it. There medical area looks better and better!

Old 06-21-2015, 07:51 PM

153 posts, read 186,646 times
It does look better and better. I honestly think they could put a different exterior over the white and save money in the long run. They spend a fortune cleaning and painting that white exterior. But I love the new blond brick an blue/green glass looks on the Heart Center and Children's Hospital. Now if we could just get rid of those silly sails out front. :-)

Old 06-21-2015, 10:24 PM

145 posts, read 221,857 times
I don't see why they haven't painted the exterior of the main hospital to match the new buildings. I think it would make it look a lot better then it does now. Does anyone have any idea on what they could do in the future to update the front? I don't know how they would have enough extra rooms to rebuild the main hospital in the future.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:34 PM

39 posts, read 59,752 times
I'm not sure why everyone is all up in arms about varying architectural styles throughout town. I would much rather have an interesting mix/variety than have everything look like it came out of an extruder. Look at some of the architecture of new projects in big cities -- more often than not it pushes the envelope and people raise a big fuss about it but once it is complete no one worries any more about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina