U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 10:45 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,005,164 times

Advertisements

From Mayor Thomas FB about the new student housing

Quote:
Opening 2017* new $54M residential and retail on 10th & (near) Charles ---*coinciding with launch of the new 10 Street Connector (four-lane under construction--directly linking the medical/hospital district to the main center city univ campus district). *Gateway from 264 Directly to East Carolina University Main Campus. .....*Stay Tuned. More, to Come. Similar Scale.
The bolded portion is the interesting part. Can't wait to see what's coming next!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 10:53 AM

1,069 posts, read 986,361 times
The new city hall does a good job of complementing the old one, while still looking modern. I don't see why they couldn't have designed the GTAC that way.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:31 PM

225 posts, read 204,663 times
Just some heads up to people on here,Kmart is staring their going out of business sale. Right now everything is 10%-30% off. Went there this morning a got me a nice wheeled shelf cart I use for the kitchen 20% off.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:55 PM

153 posts, read 186,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyInNC View Post
I don't disagree with this statement, however; especially given its prominent location on campus.
Please don't misinterpret what I was trying to say. I was not saying Greenville should be cookie-cutter modern construction that looks like Lynndale. Nice neighborhood, but the newest sections look sterile. My point was some of the craziest architecture in Greenville like the Leo Jenkins building or the white hospital seem to have been done as experiments that turned out badly in my opinion and should be corrected. The hospital seems to have found a more "consistent" direction in architecture although it still doesn't all look the same. ECU has done a great job doing the same all the way back to the new Library, through the new housing, science building and updated facades on some of the other campus areas. ECU's Medical complex looks great to me. I love that architecture.

Much of that 60's style architecture looks like a doctor's office to me. Maybe it has it's audience, but that tends to be more fitting for California than Greenville. Greenville has a lot of old stately homes that are run down and likely beyond saving. That's unfortunate because they could have really been fixed up into grand old homes. Tarboro and New Bern have done a pretty good job especially in their historic districts. I'm not opposed to different styles of architecture. My primary point was that a town generally has a predominant theme - especially if tied to historic context. I would just like to see us have an identity. Right now there is very little identity to this city of almost 100K people.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:56 PM

153 posts, read 186,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
The new city hall does a good job of complementing the old one, while still looking modern. I don't see why they couldn't have designed the GTAC that way.
I absolutely agree G&B. The city hall has a more modern look, but it's complementary. Somebody is trying to hard to make a design statement with the GTAC IMO.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:12 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,042,932 times
$2.2 million dollar homeless shelter opens in Greenville

Watch the video for a look inside. It's a pretty nice facility.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:35 AM

Publix officially announces that it's coming to New Bern...could Greenville be not far behind??

Old 06-29-2015, 08:46 AM

839 posts, read 1,040,195 times
^^ The new homeless shelter is really nice. If Publix is coming to Greenville, I'd be shocked if a Greenville location isn't forth coming within a year or two.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:57 AM

From the DR about the future craft brew store.

Quote:
Greenville has approved its first craft beer store scheduled to open in August.

The Greenville Board of Adjustment voted unanimously to grant a special use permit to Jennifer and Jeremy Spengeman, owners of Basil’s Restaurant also on Fire Tower Road, and Michael Leaman, a retired Marine.

The owners said Tapped Crafts & Drafts will specialize in domestic craft beer for on- and off-premises consumption.

Tapped Crafts & Drafts will be located in the Firetower Crossings shopping center at 650 E. Fire Tower Road in the former Lemongrass Thai restaurant location.

This vote comes just a few months after the Greenville City Council approved craft beer stores as an allowed use in specific commercial areas of the city, with a special use permit.

Previously, only wine shops — which could sell craft beer — were allowed in commercial zoning districts of the city. Some required special use permits. Now beer-only stores will be allowed in the same areas. At least 60 percent of sales have to be consumed off site.

The same hours that govern wine shops will apply to the craft beer shops. Jeremy Spengeman emphasized previously that the shop he planned to open would not be a bar, and that it would not produce cheaper beer brands, opting instead for pricier beers mainly intended for consumption off site.

The store intends to be the city’s “premiere retailer” of domestic craft beer on draft and in growlers, bottles, cans, bombers and more, he said.

Tapped Crafts & Drafts will feature more than 20 taps behind a large custom-made bar, which can be enjoyed by the pint, in a flight or at home in 32-ounce or 64-ounce growlers.

While visiting, customers will be able to browse more than 200 bottles of beer for off-premises consumption individually or in a build-your-own six pack.

Tapped Crafts & Drafts intends to provide a comfortable place for customers to meet with friends, catch up on work or relax and enjoy artisanal North Carolina meats, cheeses and other snacks while sampling from the beer selection, the owners said.

The store also will feature a large private room with more than 60 seats available for special events, business meetings or catered and non-catered events. Large televisions and wireless Internet also will be available in the private space, along with a private entrance and restrooms. The room is intended for events such as wedding showers, business meetings or birthday celebrations.

Fore more information, email jennifer@itsbasils.com or find the store on Twitter @Tapped650.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:00 PM

39 posts, read 59,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
From Mayor Thomas FB about the new student housing

The bolded portion is the interesting part. Can't wait to see what's coming next!
Jim Ward owns the entire block at the southwest corner of 10th & Evans -- expect this scale to be built here once the connector is nearing completion or finished. Additionally Taft/Ward own 2 or 3 parcels in the stretch of neighborhood between the boundary and 10th street. I imagine they will work with ECU in the future to develop that into higher density/mixed use as well in accordance with ECU's campus master plan.

I'm curious to know if 11th street will be incorporated into the campus edge development. Taft/Ward own all parcels except the Theta Chi house on the south side of 11th street. Word on the street is they offered Theta Chi $500k for the house; an offer which was turned down and then countered with a $750k offer, which was accepted.

My guess is that 11th street will no longer be a through-access...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina