U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 02:52 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,188,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
The Daily Reflector

Here is an interesting article. The Feds are apparently looking at moving into the downtown area. Anyone have any ideas on what could be coming in?
I've heard a Bankruptcy court. Maybe they will build a visually appealing building downtown with more than just this in it. Mixed-use project, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 10:16 PM

232 posts, read 398,516 times
any updates on the construction in front of the fresh market?

Old 01-02-2011, 02:58 PM

105 posts, read 145,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollabackmjjd View Post
Cheddar's Casual Cafe Restaurant.
This was already answered, concerning construction in front of The Fresh Market on a previous post.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:53 PM

232 posts, read 398,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityadvocate View Post
This was already answered, concerning construction in front of The Fresh Market on a previous post.
thats why i said updates, as in completion date and so forth.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:20 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,044,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I've heard a Bankruptcy court. Maybe they will build a visually appealing building downtown with more than just this in it. Mixed-use project, please!
I think they're looking at existing structures for a 10 year lease.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:01 AM

208 posts, read 325,599 times
There is some construction going on in front of Best Buy to the right of University ChopHouse. The store is called ULTA, I believe it's a beauty store for women.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I think they're looking at existing structures for a 10 year lease.
One of the problems with downtown is there isn't a lot of existing space for a good sized business. I would love for a bankruptcy court AND another federal office move downtown. The largest single building for private use is around 30k sqft. We are desperate need to build offices downtown, but something tells me there is a chicken and the egg problem.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:43 PM

168 posts, read 436,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollabackmjjd View Post
There is some construction going on in front of Best Buy to the right of University ChopHouse. The store is called ULTA, I believe it's a beauty store for women.

In Lynndale? YAY! I love Ulta and that type of store, I'm actually really excited!

Old 01-04-2011, 02:23 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,044,801 times
The Five Points Plaza is well under way according to The Reflector...

Visitors to downtown Greenville businesses may have to hike a little farther in the cold to reach their destinations this winter as work to transform a primary parking lot into a center-city gathering place commences.

City Planner Carl Rees said renovations were going full force Monday in the former lot at Fifth and Evans streets. The facelift is intended to brand “Five Points Plaza” as a space for events aimed to anchor the district.

Uptown Greenville, a nonprofit group that advocates revitalization, backed the project but is not playing a role now.

Construction was scheduled to begin after the close of Freeboot Friday — a festival held in the lot prior to home East Carolina University football games — and before the annual Umbrella Market reopens for its weekly run from May through September.

Rees said some concerns were expressed by local restaurateurs once two bays of parking were closed a few weeks ago. The lot is directly across from Winslow's, Starlight Cafe and Cubbie's.

“There's probably never a good time in a downtown environment to take away parking,” Rees said.

He added that the “short-term pain” will pay off down the road as new patrons and businesses are attracted by the site improvements.

Trees have been cut down, curb and gutter and sidewalk torn out, pavement removed, new boundaries set, and trenches for electrical wiring dug. Underground and grade work will continue for quite a while, Rees said, before the installation of permanent market shelters and lighting, paving, and placing new trees, signage and public art pieces.

Only two parking spaces will be lost.

Greenville company Hudson Brothers Construction is under contract to develop the project for $610,600, all of which was paid following approval by the city's Redevelopment Commission.

Work should be completed by the end of May, Rees said.

The Daily Reflector

Old 01-04-2011, 02:49 PM

It should look good. I'm curious what their next "project" will be? I know Town Commons will be redone soon, but that is a bigger to-do. All of it has been a good change so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina