U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2015, 05:18 PM

181 posts, read 185,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Mayor Thomas just posted this to his facebook wall. Anything new there?

https://www.facebook.com/MayorAllenT...2496920777447/
Nothing other than another mention/tease toward a downtown hotel. I think we should anticipate an announcement on this sooner rater than later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 09:27 AM

137 posts, read 141,087 times
The Atlantic Monthly had an article back in April about how the renaissance of downtown Asheville occurred. You can find the article here. It's an interesting read in light of the redevelopment that's still in it's infancy in Greenville.

BTW, wouldn't it be nice to have a "place" similar to the Grove Arcade in Greenville? And while I'm at it, I've thought for some time that it would be cool if a multi-story building could be built on Reade Circle that follows the curvature of the street with retail on the first two floors with a setback on the second floor that allows a terrace for dining and pedestrian traffic to overlook a broad sidewalk below. I'm sure most developers would steer clear of building such a building because of the cost, but it could give Greenville a signature building that would foster civic pride.

Last edited by GoingLocal; 09-07-2015 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: wording

Old 09-07-2015, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,823 times
Default New Marabella's

I didn't see this mentioned here before. There is a sign in front of the old Sweet Karolina Diner on Firetower that says Marabella's is coming soon. That's good news for that vacant diner. Anyone have any other information?

Old 09-09-2015, 09:13 AM

7 posts, read 7,525 times
Talked to a lowes store personnel yesterday and he had mentioned that publix corporate have came and analyzed the building and he had heard that they said it didn't fit there store criteria, that they were still looking in greenville. He did say they've had a few possible future tenants come into the building but didn't tell which companies they were from.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:31 AM

181 posts, read 215,369 times
Has anybody see this? Kittrell & Armstrong, LLC - Parkside Bluffs, Retail (land), East 10th Sreet, Greenville, NC

Looks like there's more land slated for development for commercial use across from the 10th Street Walmart.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:22 AM

109 posts, read 104,278 times
Wow on the new apartment / retail development. Greenville's density Uptown is about to explode. It already feels like an actual urban area down there much more now with the Boundary complex opening. If they could find a way to fill Uptown with a consistent set of these 5-6 story buildings from 10th street to the river, Greenville would have that DC building vibe going.

Question: I noticed when I was back for the football game that even beyond the new Super Block, most of the facades of the buildings along 5th and Cotanche look newly painted (aka much better) with new signs. Has Greenville incentivized this type of activity?

Old 09-09-2015, 01:08 PM

839 posts, read 1,040,892 times
I guess the Hobby Lobby re-do if the Caroline East Centre is still an anticipated thing. I can honestly say that outside of Lowe's Foods I am not sad to see K-Mart go or that Carolina East Shopping Area. K-Mart had been a dump for years and years, and the shopping center was prime real estate in an area that can be so much better. Hopefully they can find a more quality retailer to fill that K-Mart space. I really wish that while shopping area would be bulldozed and re done but I know that it's an option now.

Retail vacancies in Greenville; city’s plans to fill them | WNCT

Quote:
GREENVILLE, NC (WNCT)- A lot of development uptown, but the rest of Greenville has multiple vacancies and businesses closing.
There are abandoned buildings, empty parking lots, and signs being removed. All are a result of the multiple vacancies in Greenville.
“Its a shame we have so many empty stores, and the building continues, I think it doesn’t speak well for Greenville, it doesn’t make our community look good,” Winterville resident, Pam Mathews said.
While only three percent of the city’s retail space is vacant, customers say they notice when big businesses leave.
An entire shopping center is closed off MemorialDdrive. Kmart is close off Greenville Boulevard. Lowes will be shutting its doors in about a week.
Merrill Flood with the City of Greenville says plans are in the works to replace Kmart. The vacant shopping center off Memorial Drive will be demolished and rebuilt.
“Right now the plans are to establish a Hobby Lobby, retail center, and then a future anchor tenant both in the 55 to 57 thousand square feet range along with three out parcels,” Flood said.
The community already has an idea of what business they want to see in Greenville.
Shopper, Bruce Richter, said, “I’d like to see an REI, I’m kind of an outdoorsy kind of guy. I’d like to see us have some more stores that cater to that kind of need.”
“It would be really nice to have a Macy’s here,” Mathews said.
Lowes shopper, Beverly Griffin wants another food store to come to town.
Lowes is a private company and is dealing with contracts themselves. I asked management what business would take its place and they never responded.

Last edited by jpirate; 09-09-2015 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: q

Old 09-09-2015, 01:50 PM

68 posts, read 101,705 times
Duck Donuts will be in the old Quiznos spot..hopes to open by December

Old 09-09-2015, 03:38 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,044,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I guess the Hobby Lobby re-do if the Caroline East Centre is still an anticipated thing. I can honestly say that outside of Lowe's Foods I am not sad to see K-Mart go or that Carolina East Shopping Area. K-Mart had been a dump for years and years, and the shopping center was prime real estate in an area that can be so much better. Hopefully they can find a more quality retailer to fill that K-Mart space. I really wish that while shopping area would be bulldozed and re done but I know that it's an option now.

Retail vacancies in Greenville; city’s plans to fill them | WNCT
I saw channel 9's original story earlier in the day yesterday (The link is an updated version). The early version made it seem like there's a mini-crisis going on with 2 big box stores closing and an entire shopping center sitting empty, which they casually mentioned that it is being re-developed (with no mention of Hobby Lobby). In the end the reporter tossed in the fact there's only a 3% vacancy rate in Greenville storefronts.

No matter if Hobby Lobby comes or not, this is a non-story; probably a response to viewers who don't know what's going on in their own town. It's been reported why the two DMV offices moved - because the old shopping center is being demolished and a new one built. KMart has been closing stores for years and Lowes has been shutting down locations for the last couple years. If Publix does not move into the Lowes location, it will be tough to find a business to take over that spot. Of course, the Lowes site could do what the KMart site will probably end up doing - most likely split up into multiple stores. People from the surrounding towns come to Greenville to shop its multitude of stores, and now they're concerned with the stores that are closing because they didn't shop at them? It only looks bad if you don't know what you're looking at. Channel 9 should know better, but then again their staff is mostly newcomers to town because they're constantly turning over their talent.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:24 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,006,211 times
DR has a story about PGV trying to lure another airline:

Quote:
Pitt-Greenville Airport officials are hopeful they will receive a federal grant that will help fund their pursuit of an additional airline for the city, the airport’s director said Wednesday.

PGV Director Jerry Vickers will update the Greenville City Council tonight on airport services and the progress of a $500,000 matching grant he submitted to the U.S. Department of Transportation.

Vickers said PGV will attempt to improve its services along two pathways. The first is by increasing its seating capacity. The airport provides four flights per day but will attempt to increase to five beginning in November, he said.

“Increasing our seat capacity is a big deal for us,” Vickers said. “We can improve our service with American/U.S. Airways by having more seats and a higher ratio of jets to turbo-props, but it will depend on how the airline allocates its resources after the expected retirement of its turbo-prop fleet.”

The second path to increasing service is by recruiting a second airline, Vickers said. In the recent past, airlines were not expanding their traffic routes, but PGV is always analyzing its performance to be prepared to make the case for attracting a second airline, he said.

“Three years ago, we felt like it was time, so we began applying annually for an air service recruiting grant from the USDOT Small Community Air Service Program, a competitive grant process,” Vickers said.

The grant assists smaller communities with their air service enhancement efforts, most usually through the recruitment of a second airline or adding routes with an existing airline. Vickers invested in consulting help from the Boyd Group of Colorado to help the airport put its best foot forward in the highly competitive market.

Vickers could not identify any airline for competitive reasons, but there only are two recruiting opportunities available to PGV for an additional airline. United flies the northeast corridor to Dulles Airport in Washington, D.C., and Delta flies the southern route to Atlanta.

“The airport does not have enough demand to establish a connection to a hub north of the city,” he said. “A route to Dulles also infringes on U.S. Airways’ (connecting) traffic to Charlotte.”

Vickers said the airport was under-evaluated in the previous grant attempts in regard to its comparatively low airfare rates. It realigned its approach this year.

“We tried to make the case that Pitt is underserved based on comparisons to other airports with similar commutes, and our airfares are out of kilter with national airfares,” he said. “DOT judged that our fares were not out of kilter. That was good news for the traveling public but bad news for the grants.”

This year, PGV changed its focus from airfares, partnering with the East Carolina University College of Business to conduct an extensive air traffic demand study and survey that provided several nuggets of -information, including a high demand for a second airline, Vickers said. PGV rates at the top for comfort and convenience, but business people and other frequent users of the airport are more concerned about time, he said.

“For people who go to Raleigh, it’s not about the fares, but the wider array of airlines to choose from and the flexibility in the time of day for travel,” Vickers said. “For most who travel from airports like ours, the routing and getting to and from your destination in the least amount of time and with the fewest connections are the most important considerations when fares are within $100 or so.”

To Vickers, a second airline, particularly headed south, would resolve the matter and help the airport reclaim its lost traffic.

The DOT grant, if secured, and matching locally-based funds from a variety of public and private sources will provide the aiport with approximately $1.1 million to begin work at drawing in that second airline, he said.

Vickers expects to learn the results of the application at the end of the month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina