U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 07:00 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,360,902 times

Advertisements

IMO, downtown stops at the RR tracks, which is why 1st St does not have continuity.

If SECU relocated, that site could be utilized for waterfront development. Keep in mind one reason there is not much waterfront development in Greenville is because the direct waterfront floods. Most of the plans over the years have indicated the area directly bordering the water is better served as open space. Buildings can be built right on First St though, which is the thought on developing some of the Town Common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 12:54 PM

839 posts, read 1,039,749 times
Boundary looks like it's getting close. Maybe a few more weeks to a month they should be finally complete.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:54 PM

3,286 posts, read 5,436,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
IMO, downtown stops at the RR tracks, which is why 1st St does not have continuity.

If SECU relocated, that site could be utilized for waterfront development. Keep in mind one reason there is not much waterfront development in Greenville is because the direct waterfront floods. Most of the plans over the years have indicated the area directly bordering the water is better served as open space. Buildings can be built right on First St though, which is the thought on developing some of the Town Common.
The problem is Town Commons isn't inviting. I don't live in Greenville anymore, but every few months when I come down I do visit downtown Greenville and that includes a stroll through Town Commons. I'm not walking through when an intent on comparing the Commons to many other parks I've been to across the U.S., but I do recognize what makes a park great. There is a huge lack of quality lighting, terrible landscaping, shabby paths, the water doesn't seem like it's inclusive with the park if that makes any sense. Everything is just wrong and it's an embarrassment to the city that needs to be completely rethought in order to truly anchor that part of downtown outside of Fourth of July.

The area across the river from Town Commons, is that land firm enough for a park? It would be AMAZING if they could make a second part to the commons in that area.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:17 PM

29 posts, read 27,965 times
They have started tearing down the old shopping center on Memorial where Hobby Lobby was supposedly going to be built. So far they have taken down the small building along Mall Road that housed the hair stylist, NC license plate office, and once upon a time, Retool. Does anyone know if that project is still on or is the land owner just clearing the lot?

Old 09-19-2015, 08:06 AM

36 posts, read 53,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad-Life View Post
They have started tearing down the old shopping center on Memorial where Hobby Lobby was supposedly going to be built. So far they have taken down the small building along Mall Road that housed the hair stylist, NC license plate office, and once upon a time, Retool. Does anyone know if that project is still on or is the land owner just clearing the lot?

Here is a news story from WCTI12 they just did on this project!

Greenville city officials plan to fill store vacancies | Latest News - Home

Old 09-19-2015, 11:00 AM

1,673 posts, read 2,041,419 times

Are there any plans in the works for this building near the corner of Pitt & Dickinson? Greco has moved out of this location and over to the building next to it on Pitt.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:22 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,360,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecusmitty View Post

Haha...another possible site for a Publix in Greenville.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:48 AM

1,069 posts, read 985,225 times
The place they're tearing down would not be a good location for Publix.

I'd like to see one down closer to PCC in Winterville. Food Lion desperately needs competition in Winterville.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:20 PM

19,986 posts, read 18,959,340 times
Default Carolina East Centre, Greenville, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad-Life View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecusmitty View Post

Did Carolina East Centre have a supermarket tenant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Haha...another possible site for a Publix in Greenville.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
The place they're tearing down would not be a good location for Publix.

I'd like to see one down closer to PCC in Winterville. Food Lion desperately needs competition in Winterville.
I will agree with GarnetAndBlack. I think Publix locates stores in new trade areas created by growth or established trade areas that are experiencing infill growth.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:30 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,041,419 times
Inductive loops (pictured below) have been installed at the intersection of Firetower & Whitley Drive (adjacent to Papa Johns) in Winterville. I take it that a new traffic light will be put in place at this intersection?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina