U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2015, 05:30 PM

181 posts, read 185,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
This isn't a popular opinion, but I believe the old Pugh's lot should have used to build a parking deck for the police and fire departments and city hall employees. Putting them blocks away in a bad part of town is just cruel, and in the case of police, unwise - they need access to their vehicles quickly.
I 100% agree with this, especially considering that the future corridor of downtown has shifted from 5th street to the intersection of Evans and 10th, that's where we need more density.

In 10 years, the corner of 5th and Pitt will no longer be quite as relevant, and that's why I think it really would've been o.k. to do something like this. But to me, either way it's fine.

I also just want to add that this idea of "oh we don't have enough historic buildings" bologna, I mean come on everyone. We've got a 1 mile stretch of Dickinson desparate to be bought up and renovated that's FULL of old, potentially beautiful buildings. There are so many storefronts in Uptown that could be fixed up. This bus station is, by and large, a waste of space right now. I'm sorry. It's not a priority in my opinion, I really think people should worry more about what needs fixin' up down the street and behind that bus station block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 07:31 AM

293 posts, read 270,854 times
To each his own PP198. I don't disagree that Dickinson has historic buildings that, if renovated properly, will be a nice area. The difference for me is that the bus station offers something more unique than those square store fronts. Its a building with character. Again, if the housing complex is deemed the greater good I can live with the bus station going away. Especially if the complex offers street level retail/rental space. I would think designs can be made to preserve the bus station and still build the complex.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:13 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,359,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
To each his own PP198. I don't disagree that Dickinson has historic buildings that, if renovated properly, will be a nice area. The difference for me is that the bus station offers something more unique than those square store fronts. Its a building with character. Again, if the housing complex is deemed the greater good I can live with the bus station going away. Especially if the complex offers street level retail/rental space. I would think designs can be made to preserve the bus station and still build the complex.
My understanding of the Pugh's site is that the City backed away from that site for the multi-modal site because of the value of the property, and the likelihood that it would be prime for redevelopment.

I agree with that thought process...the site they chose is in the background, rather than the foreground of downtown. This is the same reason I think they SHOULD develop the current parking lot on the corner of Dickinson and Reade and move A PARKING LOT to the background.

IMO, it was just a matter a time before a developer came forward with a plan for the Pugh's site, and for it to be redeveloped they are going to have to maximize the property...and IMO, you can't do that AND keep the bus station. IMO, it is one or the other...and certainly no one envisions the long term tire place in the center of your downtown, across from City Hall.

In other words (and I am the biggest proponent of historic preservation), I don't think you can have your cake and eat it to...not in this case.

Finally, in regards to Historic Preservation, it is why you have a Historic Warehouse District which includes the Dickinson corridor, but I don't believe includes the Pugh site. The district is where you will see Historic Preservation. For those that REALLY want to save the bus station, I would encourage you to coordinate the relocation of the structure, maybe as part of the Town Common redevelopment (would be an interesting Gateway structure on 1st Street and could house upgraded restroom facilities)...but preserving it on site is likely just going to deter the much needed site improvements to that site.

Last edited by HP91; 10-30-2015 at 08:23 AM..

Old 10-30-2015, 11:04 AM

293 posts, read 270,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
My understanding of the Pugh's site is that the City backed away from that site for the multi-modal site because of the value of the property, and the likelihood that it would be prime for redevelopment.

I agree with that thought process...the site they chose is in the background, rather than the foreground of downtown. This is the same reason I think they SHOULD develop the current parking lot on the corner of Dickinson and Reade and move A PARKING LOT to the background.

IMO, it was just a matter a time before a developer came forward with a plan for the Pugh's site, and for it to be redeveloped they are going to have to maximize the property...and IMO, you can't do that AND keep the bus station. IMO, it is one or the other...and certainly no one envisions the long term tire place in the center of your downtown, across from City Hall.

In other words (and I am the biggest proponent of historic preservation), I don't think you can have your cake and eat it to...not in this case.

Finally, in regards to Historic Preservation, it is why you have a Historic Warehouse District which includes the Dickinson corridor, but I don't believe includes the Pugh site. The district is where you will see Historic Preservation. For those that REALLY want to save the bus station, I would encourage you to coordinate the relocation of the structure, maybe as part of the Town Common redevelopment (would be an interesting Gateway structure on 1st Street and could house upgraded restroom facilities)...but preserving it on site is likely just going to deter the much needed site improvements to that site.
All Good points. I wonder if it could be moved? At what cost... In my mind I'd love to see something like The Grey in Savannah

Old 10-30-2015, 11:37 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,359,858 times
Anything can be moved, it is just a matter of cost.

Did I read it right awhile back that one of the Frat houses is to be moved from 11th St to the vacant lot at 5th and the RR tracks. There are movers out there that have a price, and then you would have a price for renovation. Lots of donations would be necessary, because I can guarantee the govt can't fund all of it. They may be able to secure some sort of match grant.

Not much different than the bridge being relocated at the Town Common.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:50 PM

839 posts, read 1,039,573 times
the frat is getting a new house built and the old one torn down. This has all been interesting discussion but I imagine a year from now the old bus station will be gone and construction will be moving forward.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:54 PM

181 posts, read 185,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
All Good points. I wonder if it could be moved? At what cost... In my mind I'd love to see something like The Grey in Savannah
Yeah I just want to make sure that I'm clear that I wasn't doubting the potential of the building, I'm just saying that in the current situation, it can't be deemed a priority particularly because it occupies a lot that's valued at $2.5 million. That's a tough sell.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:11 PM

82 posts, read 98,311 times
Perhaps at some point, the lot behind the Century Link building could become a site for a garage serving a combination of the fire, police, city, and Century Link employees - and maybe even the resident of the apartments on Dickinson and Reade.
I'd like to see the old bus station saved but it's in such a prime location and in such a hard spot on the lot to build around. I could imagine the apartment complex being in a "L" shape such as the old Proctor Hotel building. But, I think that moving it would be very beneficial.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:52 AM

181 posts, read 214,954 times
Sadly ANOTHER Mattress Firm will open in Greenville right next to Chipotle. I just saw the sign up today.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:24 PM

1,070 posts, read 984,724 times
PSA: It's Election Day. Get out and vote. Let's keep Greenville growing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina