U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 07:14 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,040,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Marion Blackburn and Rick Croskery are out. Everyone else re-elected.
Greenville street and pedestrian transportation bonds approved

Their replacements are young and new to politics. I hope their energy and enthusiasm can carry them through. They have the right ideas, just a matter of figuring out how to bring their goals to fruition as part of a council, some of who have different ideas and agendas. Blackburn was a bit of a Thomas nemesis (not stating whether this is a good or bad thing - nothing wrong with councils keeping each other in check) so maybe town planning will be a smoother process. I just hope council members help them be efficient councilmen, rather than manipulate and take advantage of their inexperience, lack of relationships and contacts, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 09:01 PM

181 posts, read 185,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Greenville street and pedestrian transportation bonds approved

Their replacements are young and new to politics. I hope their energy and enthusiasm can carry them through. They have the right ideas, just a matter of figuring out how to bring their goals to fruition as part of a council, some of who have different ideas and agendas. Blackburn was a bit of a Thomas nemesis (not stating whether this is a good or bad thing - nothing wrong with councils keeping each other in check) so maybe town planning will be a smoother process. I just hope council members help them be efficient councilmen, rather than manipulate and take advantage of their inexperience, lack of relationships and contacts, etc
Both Godley and Connelly are Thomas guys. Connelly is a student landlord and Godley worked directly with Thomas for the past year. Considering AT has the energy and the city's best interests in mind in terms of economic development and infrastructure improvements, you're absolutely right when you say that the next 2 years are going to be incredibly smooth and a lot is going to get done.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:05 PM

839 posts, read 1,039,268 times
House passes bills that designate several ENC highways as "future interstates"

House passes bills that designate several ENC highways as "future interstates"

Old 11-06-2015, 01:16 PM

109 posts, read 103,986 times
That hurts that 264 and Greenville were not included.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:49 AM

293 posts, read 270,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBPirate View Post
That hurts that 264 and Greenville were not included.
It does and I have to believe it is the gap between Greenville and Williamston/Washington that is the reason. 64 is already nearly Interstate grade all the way to Williamston so the cost will likely be less for this route. That, however, does not out weigh the gain (IMO) that would've come from steering regional traffic through Greenville and providing better access to the Pamlico..... But I guess saving 12 mins of travel time and interstate access to Tarboro wasn't worth the cost.

I think Greenville's best chance will be a spur off this interstate along the Hwy 11 route from Bethel, connect to the interstate grade bypass and the spur will go almost to Kinston....

Old 11-09-2015, 03:47 PM

3,285 posts, read 5,433,764 times
As I've said time and time again on CD: I don't see the need for Greenville to have an interstate. Unless an entirely new highway is planned, what exactly is the point? I understand it can be used to attract jobs, but that isn't enough justification for it to 264 to be upgraded. I think, and I say this with respect, Greenville suffers from an inferiority complex regarding interstates since it's the largest city in the state without one, but that doesn't make Greenville a less desirable city in any way.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:12 PM

181 posts, read 185,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
As I've said time and time again on CD: I don't see the need for Greenville to have an interstate. Unless an entirely new highway is planned, what exactly is the point? I understand it can be used to attract jobs, but that isn't enough justification for it to 264 to be upgraded. I think, and I say this with respect, Greenville suffers from an inferiority complex regarding interstates since it's the largest city in the state without one, but that doesn't make Greenville a less desirable city in any way.
Serious question - do you live here? Because if you live here and you're saying that, I would be absolutely stunned. And not I lived here 10 years ago, it's now. Now is different than even 5 years ago.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:05 PM

3,321 posts, read 5,183,240 times

City Council is discussing the plan for the Tar River Park that includes disc golf, sand volleyball, a new playground, dog park expansion, and more

Old 11-09-2015, 06:52 PM

102 posts, read 370,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
IMO, I think Greenville has done fairly well without the presence of an interstate, this testifies to the overall potential and appeal of the Greenville area metro which I think will only continue to grow.The rate of growth the city has seen is remarkable and I think with upgrades to the ENC highway infrastructure as a region will help Greenville sustain this grow due to the fact that it is the hub of the area. This has got to be a regional effort to push Greenville to the next level, a regional mentality is need because we all know the attitude in Raleigh toward ENC, the large metros first along with the rest of the piedmont, western nc and all of ENC is left fighting for leftovers. I don't live in Greenville but I hope it continues to move forward without an interstate the rest of ENC needs Greenville to continue to move forward to bring attention to this region...Go Greenville!

Old 11-09-2015, 07:02 PM

137 posts, read 140,812 times
I don't play disc golf, but I was wondering if a three hole course is something someone who does would be interested in or exited about? Also, what exactly is an adventure playground? Is it for kids 12 years old or younger? If so, would this feature be enough to attract parents with kids there, considering the surrounding area is mostly housing for ECU students?

Oh, and where is everyone suppose to park? How far are kayakers going to have to carry their kayaks to the landing? I imagine they will mostly be bigger sea kayaks instead of smaller whitewater kayaks.

Last edited by GoingLocal; 11-09-2015 at 07:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina