Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2015, 01:44 PM

192 posts, read 278,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I play disc golf occasionally...with that said - I have no clue why your would want to put a three hole course out there...such a waste of space in my opinion. What are you going to do - play the 3 holes over & over from different spots? I really don't understand that idea.

I also play occasionally and i completely agree. Even the 18 holes at Covenant Church is strongly liked despite being 18 holes, because of the poor layout and ease of losing discs. Three holes is a total waste when there are already 3 courses in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 06:26 PM

144 posts, read 187,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
I don't believe Amtrak would be interested in a Greenville station anymore, I have to ask: does anyone even know how the Amtrak bus to Wilson (or is it Rocky Mount?) is doing? Regarding freight, I'm not sure if Greenville has a large enough manufacturing base to need more freight lines. I'm not attempting to bash Greenville, I'm fairly supportive of Greenville, but we have to get serious in other areas to justify being taken serious in Raleigh. When are concern is building a new shopping center as opposed to attract a new factory, you realize: the city isn't too serious. I respect Mayor Thomas, but still the city must work more on attracting the jobs the community needs.
Interstate highways and passenger trains would bring people through and to Greenville who normally wouldn't come. A freight rail line from Morehead City to Raleigh would strengthen the Morehead City port by easily moving goods to the interior of the state. All these things are good for economic development. People passing through might find Greenville an interesting place, spend money here, and possibly generate interest in businesses opening or relocating here. Freight moving between Morehead City and the interior of the state could provide additional economic development opportunities for Greenville to process or assemble goods passing through. Finally, there is a need for an alternate rail route north and south between Norfolk and Savannah, east of the existing line that goes through Rocky Mount. There is already a passenger rail line from DC to Norfolk. Creating a more coastal line that would connect back up with the existing line in Savannah would provide rail service for eastern NC military bases and create a lot of economic development opportunities, especially for Eastern NC.

Transportation of any variety is the main thing that builds cities. Before railroads and roads, it was rivers.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:36 PM

144 posts, read 187,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
I also play occasionally and i completely agree. Even the 18 holes at Covenant Church is strongly liked despite being 18 holes, because of the poor layout and ease of losing discs. Three holes is a total waste when there are already 3 courses in the area.
As I am frequently reminded, it is usually better to pay someone a little more money who is experienced and can do a job right the first time than to waste money by paying someone who has little to no experience less.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:58 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,575,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
Interstate highways and passenger trains would bring people through and to Greenville who normally wouldn't come. A freight rail line from Morehead City to Raleigh would strengthen the Morehead City port by easily moving goods to the interior of the state. All these things are good for economic development. People passing through might find Greenville an interesting place, spend money here, and possibly generate interest in businesses opening or relocating here. Freight moving between Morehead City and the interior of the state could provide additional economic development opportunities for Greenville to process or assemble goods passing through. Finally, there is a need for an alternate rail route north and south between Norfolk and Savannah, east of the existing line that goes through Rocky Mount. There is already a passenger rail line from DC to Norfolk. Creating a more coastal line that would connect back up with the existing line in Savannah would provide rail service for eastern NC military bases and create a lot of economic development opportunities, especially for Eastern NC.

Transportation of any variety is the main thing that builds cities. Before railroads and roads, it was rivers.
The Morehead City rail already exists. It's owned by the state and operated by Norfolk-Southern. Runs from Morehead to Charlotte.

NC Rail Network | North Carolina Railroad

Old 11-10-2015, 10:09 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,402,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post

But why exactly would the state let alone federal government to run any new lines/interstates to Greenville? That's the part I am not understanding. Are you suggesting they build highways or rail lines out of their path, and become more expensive, to serve Greenville? If a highway is needed to be built to Wlimington or Hampton Roads, I don't see why any logical planner would say: let's part of it Greenville. It doesn't make sense, it can be done cheaper via other areas with existing infrastructure or places where the cost to build won't be as high.

I'm trying to think of where an interstate would actually make sense in Greenville, maybe if Greenville needs a direct highway to Morehead City? I don't know. If Greenville needs an interstate that bad, then build something like how we have here in Maryland named I-195 (and trust me, I consider that a pointless interstate as well).

Old 11-11-2015, 08:12 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,530,879 times
If I remember correctly, a student group from ECU (maybe the SGA) proposed the disc golf course park and received support from the Greenville Disc Golf club over the last year. Originally there was a plan from them for a 9 hole course, but other residents had concerns. It now looks like the city included a small course to help appease this group of people that proposed the disc golf course. It probably wouldn't have been included at all if there wasn't interest from these groups and that area probably would have been a large open park area. I believe that means that there will be some use for the course if those two groups of people wanted to put it there.

Also, if the disc golf course is fully approved, the ECU SGA will handle paying to build & maintain that portion of the park.

The city didn't just pull this disc course thing out of thin air.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:50 AM

111 posts, read 147,128 times
There is already a golf disc course at the ECU rec fields by North Campus Crossing. How many do there need to be?

Old 11-11-2015, 09:56 AM

275 posts, read 327,117 times
My wife told me yesterday that Sam Jones BBQ on Fire Tower open not to long ago. Anyone been there yet? How's the food? Wanna go later on this week.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:53 AM

14 posts, read 20,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
My wife told me yesterday that Sam Jones BBQ on Fire Tower open not to long ago. Anyone been there yet? How's the food? Wanna go later on this week.

It opened yesterday. I have heard it is great and the building looks outstanding.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:19 PM

889 posts, read 1,328,164 times
^ yeah - they sunk some money into that building for sure. It's very nice looking. I'll definitely give it a shot. I'm not a Parker's fan like, well, pretty much the whole town of Greenville is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina