U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 11:37 AM

181 posts, read 185,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBPirate View Post
There is already a golf disc course at the ECU rec fields by North Campus Crossing. How many do there need to be?
North Rec has been a massive failure, the students do not use it, and the condition of the North Campus Crossing complex has driven potential residents away. The university wants to pour more money into it because they're already this far into it, but the foresight and planning of that area was such a massive mistake. The University was told time and time again by the master planners that the direction that society is headed is walkability. That's why the master plan pushed so hard toward moving any development toward the river. ECU has begun to listen to it, but this North Rec plan completely went against any suggestions made. The complex is only accessbile to students by bus, I just don't understand what they were thinking. There were places to put this complex within the actual city - Charles Blvd and Greenville Blvd, 14th and Elm had land that could be bought up, etc. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I'm also just not sure what the point of this university neighborhood park is. It's trying to accomplish beautification, I get that. But it's such a stupid idea and a waste of money because it does not fit the clientele in the area. Something like this will not get a middle class family to buy a home in the area, which was the (stupid) goal of Blackburn/Mercer, and now they're wasting tax money on this. It's frustrating.

The priorities of the council over the past 2 years set the city back marginally, thank God we can now move forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 12:46 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,362,977 times
What are the numbers in the intramural program at ECU? How many students are utilizing North Rec.

Also I have been surprised that Greenville has not partnered with ECU and tried to utilize North Rec for State tournaments in Soccer and Lacrosse...the complex is perfect for that. Maybe the City should infuse some money into it and it could be utilized for other Rec programs....just as long as it doesn't interfere with ECU's Intramural programs.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
What are the numbers in the intramural program at ECU? How many students are utilizing North Rec.

Also I have been surprised that Greenville has not partnered with ECU and tried to utilize North Rec for State tournaments in Soccer and Lacrosse...the complex is perfect for that. Maybe the City should infuse some money into it and it could be utilized for other Rec programs....just as long as it doesn't interfere with ECU's Intramural programs.
Intramurals are really, to my knowledge, the only thing that the complex is really used for. The "beach" and kayak pool and walking/running track are all essentially dollars down the drain.

As far as the state tourney type stuff, ask our brilliant city why they now want to build out a multimillion dollar sports complex instead of partnering with ECU on fixing this failure.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:41 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,362,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratePanther189 View Post
Intramurals are really, to my knowledge, the only thing that the complex is really used for. The "beach" and kayak pool and walking/running track are all essentially dollars down the drain.

As far as the state tourney type stuff, ask our brilliant city why they now want to build out a multimillion dollar sports complex instead of partnering with ECU on fixing this failure.
I know why they want to build it...because existing city/county facilities are inadequate. The State Soccer Finals are this weekend in WILSON. That's right, Wilson has a better complex than Greenville has access to.

It may be about scheduling and such that they cant utilize the North Rec fields, but it does seem to make sense to be able to use them.

I don't have a problem if they are to build a new sports complex, the fields by Conley are some of the worst in the State in terms of travel teams. Greenville is only going to continue to grow. And usually there is PARTiF money available.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I know why they want to build it...because existing city/county facilities are inadequate. The State Soccer Finals are this weekend in WILSON. That's right, Wilson has a better complex than Greenville has access to.

It may be about scheduling and such that they cant utilize the North Rec fields, but it does seem to make sense to be able to use them.

I don't have a problem if they are to build a new sports complex, the fields by Conley are some of the worst in the State in terms of travel teams. Greenville is only going to continue to grow. And usually there is PARTiF money available.
Well I do too, that wasn't the point...of course it's necessary. I was just making a point that these two projects could have been essentially combined. It could have made for a really cool place too...mix of college students, youngsters, adults. I don't know. That time period really lacked foresight on all ends of the equation. We're lucky that moving forward the City/Mayor Thomas and ECU are working together.

It's not a huge deal, though the money being wasted on North Rec is a huge deal if you're paying for your kid to go to school at ECU.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:42 PM

105 posts, read 145,683 times
Not before it was needed, but a stoplight is being put up at Firetower & Whitley Dr. near the new Sam Jones barbecue restaurant. Lemon Grass Restaurant & Sam Jones barbecue have added to the traffic problems at that intersection.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:00 AM

1,674 posts, read 2,042,448 times
All the WilcoHess stations are being converted to Speedway stores.

Rumor from Best Buy employees: Peebles is a potential new tenant for the former Lowe's Foods.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:36 AM

1,069 posts, read 985,975 times
That seems like kind of an odd location for a Peebles. Aren't they a low end store?

Old 11-14-2015, 11:12 AM

1,674 posts, read 2,042,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
That seems like kind of an odd location for a Peebles. Aren't they a low end store?
Ross is in that center. They're on the low end scale. I've never been to a Peebles, but they're owned by the group that owns the new version of Goody's.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:00 AM

293 posts, read 271,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratePanther189 View Post
North Rec has been a massive failure, the students do not use it, and the condition of the North Campus Crossing complex has driven potential residents away. The university wants to pour more money into it because they're already this far into it, but the foresight and planning of that area was such a massive mistake. The University was told time and time again by the master planners that the direction that society is headed is walkability. That's why the master plan pushed so hard toward moving any development toward the river. ECU has begun to listen to it, but this North Rec plan completely went against any suggestions made. The complex is only accessbile to students by bus, I just don't understand what they were thinking. There were places to put this complex within the actual city - Charles Blvd and Greenville Blvd, 14th and Elm had land that could be bought up, etc. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I'm also just not sure what the point of this university neighborhood park is. It's trying to accomplish beautification, I get that. But it's such a stupid idea and a waste of money because it does not fit the clientele in the area. Something like this will not get a middle class family to buy a home in the area, which was the (stupid) goal of Blackburn/Mercer, and now they're wasting tax money on this. It's frustrating.

The priorities of the council over the past 2 years set the city back marginally, thank God we can now move forward.
Where, within walking distance of ECU, would you fit a 60 acre recreation complex?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina