U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 11:59 AM

839 posts, read 1,040,031 times

Advertisements

I hated Goody's. If Peebles is anything like Goody's..keep the store empty for all I care until a decent retailer wants to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 05:02 PM

181 posts, read 185,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Where, within walking distance of ECU, would you fit a 60 acre recreation complex?
The demand for what they tried to do wasn't there to begin with, which is told by the low use, and the fact that North Campus Crossing is 50% occupied. Those college students have no interest in hanging out at a fake beach and kayaking in a tiny manmade body of water, which takes up such a large amount of that space, especially when we've got a river that needs development.

In terms of a well-lit track and intramural fields, they could've done a better job utilizing the space behind the Carol Belk Building, Stratford Arms Apartments, and Blount Fields on Charles.

They also (ridiculously) want to build an amphitheatre out there. Anyone know where they could find a potential partnership on improving an amphitheatre around town at all? 2 separate walkable areas. It's not perfect, but to me it has a better chance of succeeding than the financial mess they've got on their hands. It's really not a gigantic deal though.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:30 PM

1,069 posts, read 985,975 times
http://www.reflector.com/news/north-...r-loan-3045311

Well that's not surprising.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:32 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,004,818 times
GO Science center opens today!! From WITN:

Quote:
A ribbon cutting for a new science center will be happening Wednesday.

Officials will be opening the doors to the new GO-Science Regional Science and Technology Center at 729 Dickinson Avenue in Greenville Wednesday.

The ribbon cutting ceremony will be at 10 AM on site.

The center is a private not-for-profit organization that will give people of all ages hands-on educational programs and traveling exhibits.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:25 AM

293 posts, read 271,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratePanther189 View Post
The demand for what they tried to do wasn't there to begin with, which is told by the low use, and the fact that North Campus Crossing is 50% occupied. Those college students have no interest in hanging out at a fake beach and kayaking in a tiny manmade body of water, which takes up such a large amount of that space, especially when we've got a river that needs development.

In terms of a well-lit track and intramural fields, they could've done a better job utilizing the space behind the Carol Belk Building, Stratford Arms Apartments, and Blount Fields on Charles.

They also (ridiculously) want to build an amphitheatre out there. Anyone know where they could find a potential partnership on improving an amphitheatre around town at all? 2 separate walkable areas. It's not perfect, but to me it has a better chance of succeeding than the financial mess they've got on their hands. It's really not a gigantic deal though.
The Blount fields would have needed a complete over haul, they're not fields, its just open space. ECU needed new facilities. I don't know the usage for North Rec but I agree with you that the ponds could have been avoided and promotion of the river used in their place. Though they are stocked and I did fish those ponds before leaving the area. The Blount fields though have been destined for other purposes though so they were never going to be save for intramural use. That area has been slated for the College of Health & Human performance and now a millennial campus.

North Campus crossing on the other hand is unrelated to the university. The city's push in the city center will hurt those outlying complexes quite a bit, but places like North Rec and the Belamey can blame themselves and the previous council and mayor for lack of vision. The city center has been derelict for far too long while the opportunity to invest there was quite clear if anyone had just a tiny bit of huevos to do it.

I agree with you though, North Rec is a small thing, the amphitheater doesn't sound like a great idea to me either. I just dont see too much difference in the Blount fields and North rec. I never knew many students who walked to Blount anyway.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:24 PM

North Campus apparently also changed its name, sometime very recently (the Reflector's article does not state this). It's called Captain's Quarters now.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:51 PM

3,287 posts, read 5,437,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
North Campus apparently also changed its name, sometime very recently (the Reflector's article does not state this). It's called Captain's Quarters now.
I'm sorry, but that's one unattractive name. It sounds like a restaurant you'd find in a beach town.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:57 PM

I agree, it sounds like a seafood restaurant to me.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:27 AM

839 posts, read 1,040,031 times
The Rickhouse (an upscale steakhouse & fine spirits restaurant) seems to be coming along nicely. It will be in between Honeybaked Ham & the bowling alley on Red Banks Rd. Looks to be a nice local addition to the area. Good location, that spot just needed a legit business there, this should do it...

Last edited by jpirate; 11-19-2015 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: g

Old 11-19-2015, 10:46 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,362,977 times
Trying to remember history, wasn't there an apartment building on Reade Circle where the Bankruptcy Courthouse is now called Captains Quarters?

BTW, the commercial component of The Boundary appears to be done, there is a For Lease sign out...so I guess no businesses were in the works during construction. Have to assume the Boundary leasing office moves from 5th St to one of the Boundary spaces now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina