Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 06:49 PM

89 posts, read 130,654 times

Advertisements

New bar/restaurant opened in the old Overton's building at 3rd and Jarvis. The place is called GridIron. Heard some good stuff about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 07:09 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
From their facebook page, looks like a decent place for college & young adult folks to drink...Looks pretty similar to when it was Dr. Unk's awhile back. I wonder if they'll have trouble with the ratio of food / alcohol sold. If I remember right, Dr. Unk's had trouble with that. Is that still a law?

Last edited by jpirate; 01-26-2016 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: w

Old 01-26-2016, 10:34 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Topping ceremony for Vidant's Cancer Center held today. It's set to open in the spring of 2018.

Ceremony for cancer center to be held today | Latest News - Home

Old 01-26-2016, 10:01 PM

181 posts, read 241,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
GUC is tearing that building down and building a parking lot for their employees. They currently park on the Pugh's property.
Good to know. My gut told me it wasn't going to be a building. Hell, anything beats that ugly building that's there.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:47 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
The city council voted to allow Taft-Ward to move the small house on Evans street near the Boundary.

Quote:
Greenville’s Historic Preservation Commission on Tuesday gave a local development partnership permission to relocate an Evans Street home that is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Taft-Ward Investments, developer of student housing complex The Boundary @ West End on Evans Street and the future Campus-Edge student housing complex on 10th Street, submitted an application to relocate the historic Jones-Lee House at 805 Evans St. “to an undisclosed location.”

The more than 100-year-old home, decorated in gingerbread style, sits on the east side of Evans Street between Eighth and Ninth streets, across from the Greenville Museum of Art. The commission designated it as a historic landmark and it is on the National Register of Historic Places.

The commission was required to follow city ordinance in its decision, which states that an application to relocate, demolish or destroy a designated landmark, structure or site cannot be denied. The application only could be delayed up to a year to negotiate with the owner or other parties to find a way to preserve the property. The board decided not to delay allowing the relocation.

Though state statute allows cities to enact ordinances regarding historic districts and landmarks, it does not allow cities to prevent a property owner from disposing of a property through relocation, demolition or destruction except for the 365 days specifically permitted by the statute, City Attorney Dave Holec said.

The developers understand the historic significance of the house and are looking at potential sites in a three- to four-block radius for relocation, said Dustin Mills, vice president of development at Taft Development. Mills said the developers are experienced with relocated properties.

“It’s getting surrounded by commercial projects and it’s just not the best use for this particular property,” Mills said.

Developer Jim Ward, half of the development partnership making up Taft-Ward Investments, and Mills both said that the new site chosen for the house will be an improvement for the home over its current spot. The partnership is interested in the house’s existing site because of its proximity to the Boundary.

Ward said there are not any definite plans for the site, but the developers are considering the future of the Boundary and its needs in the acquisition. Ward also said the partnership understands that contiguous property to the Boundary is scarce and that they should consider nearby property “especially when it's available.”

The building originally was constructed as a single-family residence in 1904, according to county records, though a nomination application to have the property included in the National Register of Historic Places said that the house was built by a local contractor between 1890 and 1898.

The house and surrounding properties are zoned downtown commercial, according to the developers’ application, and Taft-Ward Investments intends to redevelop the site under downtown commercial zoning regulations if it is successful in being allowed to relocate the house.

Owner Jack Richardson Jr. now lives in the Wilmington area and is the son of former owner Lilly Richardson, who acquired the property from the Greenville Redevelopment Commission in the early 1980s. Richardson said he intended to sell the property to Taft-Ward Investments.

For more information on the house, go to The Daily Reflector and search “Jones-Lee.”

Old 01-29-2016, 06:50 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
Looks like the board gave the approval for the apartment complex on Dickenson. Of course the usual suspects on facebook are out complaining and this & how the city needs the parking lot. People that do not understand what this will do for the uptown Dickenson Ave. area frustrate me to no end.

New apartment complex slated for Uptown Greenville | WNCT

Also a another new charter school was approved to go where the Eastern Carolina Vocational Center was/is. Interesting location across the river for a charter school. Maybe this can help spur a little more development over that way.

New charter school in Greenville given the go ahead | WNCT

Old 01-29-2016, 08:32 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
[quote=jpirate;42817244]Looks like the board gave the approval for the apartment complex on Dickenson. Of course the usual suspects on facebook are out complaining and this & how the city needs the parking lot. People that do not understand what this will do for the uptown Dickenson Ave. area frustrate me to no end.

Can't see how that is not a win/win.

I wonder how many of those detractors understand the concept of "tax base". Right now you have a parking lot that generates ZERO dollars in tax base. When you put a $30 million complex on it, it will be taxed at $30 million. AND they are going to build a replacement lot for nothing on land that generates very little in tax base now.

THEN you have the effect of tax base on neighboring properties, which once you have a $30 million complex next door, it automatically raises the value of those properties increasing your tax base.

So this one decision raises money for the city...in an area of already adequate infrastructure...at no cost to the city...for PERPETUITY. In other words that tax money will be coming in 25 years from now, just like it will 5 years from now.

But, you know, god forbid if you have to walk a couple of blocks to the parking lot. Forget about the fact that its better for your health.

Time to get the small minded thinking that plagues much of ENC out of Greenville.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:07 AM

455 posts, read 528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Looks like the board gave the approval for the apartment complex on Dickenson. Of course the usual suspects on facebook are out complaining and this & how the city needs the parking lot. People that do not understand what this will do for the uptown Dickenson Ave. area frustrate me to no end.

Also a another new charter school was approved to go where the Eastern Carolina Vocational Center was/is. Interesting location across the river for a charter school. Maybe this can help spur a little more development over that way.

New charter school in Greenville given the go ahead | WNCT
I've always thought that Green St just across the river up and around to the airport was a great place to develop. Especially being an entry way into the city that area needs attention. Visitors get to Greenville via plane and probably wonder where the hell did they just fly too.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:07 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
I've always thought that Green St just across the river up and around to the airport was a great place to develop. Especially being an entry way into the city that area needs attention. Visitors get to Greenville via plane and probably wonder where the hell did they just fly too.
Land floods all the way to Mumford Rd. Best use is Green space.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:22 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
One thing I found weird/interesting was that this company needed some sort of special permit to operate as a dormitory? I'm a little confused on that because i haven't heard of this requirement for places like the Boundary or any other of the new proposed mixed use sites downtown.

The area north of the river off Greene street seems like a good place to redevelop. Problem is, I know that area flooded pretty heavily during Floyd, and I don't know if developers would want to take that chance.

I don't know if anyone saw this but Kinston apparently hit a bump in the road a month ago in acquiring another minor league team. It may be a while before it actually happens.

Road block in process of bringing baseball back to Kinston | WNCT

I still think that it has been a lost opportunity for Greenville not to pursue landing a baseball team. Even if it's something like the CPL. I still wish for a American Tobacco Campus-style development in Greenville. I've seen how that investment changed Durham in such a short amount of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina