U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2016, 03:33 PM

5,417 posts, read 5,406,381 times

Advertisements

I wonder if they are going to get rid of everything in the K-Mart shopping center. DMV & Jersey Nails, Domino's & I believe there is another restaurant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 04:33 PM

209 posts, read 325,927 times
I emailed Kim concerning additional retail coming with this development and this is what she replied below:

Matt,

Thank you for the warm welcome! We too are very excited to serve the Greenville community and to be an active and present neighbor. We are leasing the space and thus I’ll defer you to the property owner and/or developer regarding additional tenants.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me at any time!

Kim

Kim Reynolds I Media and Community Relations Manager
Publix Super Markets, Inc. I Charlotte Division
4135 South Stream Blvd.
Two LakePointe Plaza, Suite 500
Charlotte, NC 28217
704-424-5017 x 71014
863-616-5097 (fax)
kimberly.reynolds@publix.com

Old 03-08-2016, 05:56 PM

1,070 posts, read 987,206 times
Lol. The DMV just moved there because they were also kicked out of the last place since it was torn down. I guess it's a good sign that all the low rent strips are being demolished and replaced.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:48 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,005,916 times
Article from DR stating that Vidant Health and the ECU Brody School of Medicine are heading towards a merger.

Quote:
Vidant Health and East Carolina University’s Brody School of Medicine on Tuesday informed employees they intend to fully align all clinical operations at the two entities in what officials hope will become a national model for providing rural health care.

In a memorandum emailed through both systems, Vidant President Michael Waldrum and Brody Dean Paul Cunningham said the organizations would begin the process of integrating all patient care and wellness operations, clinical education and clinical research activities throughout eastern North Carolina.

“The underlying impetus of this is to improve health care to our patients in eastern North Carolina,” Waldrum told The Daily Reflector. The process will include ECU Physicians and Vidant’s physician practice, among other operations.

“Fundamentally we have two very large physician practices ... and just like any workforce we want to manage them with more intent in the future to give our patients better care, in an integrated system than in the past,” Waldrum said.

State reforms to Medicaid, the federal program for poor people that pays the bills for a large population of patients who utilize Vidant and ECU physicians, also will be considered as discussions move forward, Waldrum said.

Reforms require providers to handle costs more efficiently while improving levels of care and meeting the demands of a highly sick population, he said. The two entities can do that better together than as individual organizations, he said.

In addition to providing better health care, an equally important goal of the unifying effort is to improve the level of education Brody can offer future doctors and care providers by expanding their work through a larger region with a long-term approach to caring for patients in that region, Waldrum and Cunningham said.

Tuesday’s memo said leaders from both organizations developed a unified vision statement during a recent retreat. Their stated goal is “to be the national model for rural health and wellness by creating a premier trusted academic health care delivery system for the benefit of the people of eastern North Carolina,” the memo said.

Vidant and Brody have partnered since the medical school was founded in 1969, when Vidant Medical Center was known as Pitt County Memorial Hospital. The hospital provided a training ground for medical students, and the medical school professors also served as physicians at the hospital.

In addition to graduate medical education and the medical directorships led by Brody professors, the two entities have since integrated in several other key areas, including the Level I trauma center, Leo Jenkins Cancer Center, East Carolina Heart Institute and Behavioral Health.

Officials said Tuesday’s announcement is just the beginning of the process. A “unified enterprise oversight committee” and working groups are meeting to tackle “the legal, financial and myriad of other details that must be sorted out to ensure the model we adopt will generate the most successful outcomes for our patients and our learners,” the memo said.

Cunningham, who is retiring as dean in September but will remain on the staff, said officials will move forward thoughtfully but purposefully.

“It’s a state institution working with a private company, basically, but there is a piece of it that really does the same thing, that is our physicians,” Cunningham said. “All our doctors work for the same purpose: to look after the patients in eastern North Carolina. So as we negotiate how to do that more effectively, we are engaged in conversations, and the conversation are much more meaningful than they’ve ever been before ... I don’t think anything has been established yet. We’re just making sure folks know we are being intentional.”

Town Halls

Officials invited Vidant Health and Brody School of Medicine employees to attend town hall meetings to ask questions about Tuesday’s announcement. They are scheduled for 7 a.m. Monday at the Vidant Medical Center Auditorium and 5 p.m. on Wednesday at the Brody Auditorium.
This is good, IMO.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:33 AM

839 posts, read 1,040,664 times
Can someone explain to me in layman's terms what this means for the community as a whole?

Old 03-09-2016, 12:21 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,063,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Article from DR stating that Vidant Health and the ECU Brody School of Medicine are heading towards a merger.

This is good, IMO.
Eh...maybe. I figured they would eventually. I'm surprised it wasn't done sooner. I've heard numerous rumors that Vidant treats their employees like crap, so if true, I don't see how that bodes well. I'm with jpirate, anybody wanna take a crack at explaining to us what this means in a language us simple folk can understand?

Old 03-09-2016, 12:52 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,044,063 times
Renovations are being made at the old Produce Warehouse on 9th St. - roof repair, deck/ramp being built, window glass removed, scaffolding inside. Also seeing several fresh for lease signs in the downtown Dickinson Ave area.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:45 PM

839 posts, read 1,040,664 times
Seems like once that new apartment complex is built on the corner of Dickinson & the 10th street connector is completed, that area is really going to take on a new life as many here have talked about for years.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:24 PM

181 posts, read 185,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Can someone explain to me in layman's terms what this means for the community as a whole?
I think that remains to be seen specifically - just because there are so many options within a merger of this stature, and all of them have positives and negatives -

At the very least, we will see Vidant take over all of ECU's clinical practices, and all of the "ECU Physicians" will be paid by Vidant as doctors, and by ECU as faculty and researchers (or one or the other if that person so chooses). In this instance, the ECU Physicians brand name would dissolve, and ECU gets rid of a company that's losing over 10 million per year.

At the absolute most, they will completely merge. This would mean that Vidant would have to come under the state umbrella because it's been said time and time again that ECU and the UNC system absolutely will not give up Brody - it's simply too valuable. So, if they do merge, that would mean that Vidant would become a state-supported hospital, likely called East Carolina University Hospitals (god forbid they extend the UNC Health Care name past Nash County, that would spark riots around here).

The answer probably lies somewhere in between, but there's a ton up in the air from a business standpoint. One thing is true though, ECU and Vidant occasionally became competitors, and in this market that doesn't work. Especially with Obamacare regulations. Their services were redundant. It's a very good thing that they are aligning as one.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:32 PM

153 posts, read 186,988 times
Panther, I work for the system and would be very surprised to see Vidant go under the State at any cost. I don't know what the answer is but I think you're closer to right that it would be somewhere in the middle of what you said. I've also heard it rumored now for some time that Vidant would buy/take over ECU's ECHI Cardiology practice. No idea as to the truth in that rumor - it may just be that. But perhaps that's a step in the process they've just announced.

Will be interesting for sure. The clinical EHR's and financial systems are already a single, integrated system separated by entity so the announcement seems more operational in nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina