U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2016, 10:17 AM

1,674 posts, read 2,041,977 times

Advertisements

Food center in Ayden could create hundreds of jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 10:17 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,360,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
^ it was, I didn't know the University was going to tear that down. It will certainly look a lot better. I'm assuming this has something to do with the future of that area being the Millennial Campus.
That is surprising. I don't think that particular warehouse was part of the Warehouse Historic District. It was not necessary to tear down because of the 10th St connector, which took out properties across the street.

But I do think its a good thing. If its not Historic and its not being utilized, then remove it and start over.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:50 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,187,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
That is surprising. I don't think that particular warehouse was part of the Warehouse Historic District. It was not necessary to tear down because of the 10th St connector, which took out properties across the street.

But I do think its a good thing. If its not Historic and its not being utilized, then remove it and start over.
The State (ECU) owns 4 of the 5 blocks on the south side of 10th St. So I am sure it has something to do with the Millennial campus.

Interestingly, Ward Holdings owns the whole southwestern block at Evans & 10th (across from Starbucks). It will be interesting to see if any mixed-use goes there, to cater to the future employees/students of that campus.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:05 PM

181 posts, read 185,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
The State (ECU) owns 4 of the 5 blocks on the south side of 10th St. So I am sure it has something to do with the Millennial campus.

Interestingly, Ward Holdings owns the whole southwestern block at Evans & 10th (across from Starbucks). It will be interesting to see if any mixed-use goes there, to cater to the future employees/students of that campus.
I think you can bank on it. Once ECU gets the ball rolling with plans, I'd imagine Taft/Ward won't be far behind with a mixed use building.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:34 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,187,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratePanther189 View Post
I think you can bank on it. Once ECU gets the ball rolling with plans, I'd imagine Taft/Ward won't be far behind with a mixed use building.
It's nice having a local real estate firm that seems to have everyone's best interest at heart. They'll make money, but not screw over too many people

Old 04-05-2016, 08:22 PM

105 posts, read 145,658 times
Speaking of the lot across from Starbuck's at Evans and 10th Streets. I have thought that would be a great location for a hotel. It would have great access to downtown, ECU, the Millenial campus and the sports facilities. It would also have great access to the hospital complex with completion of the connector project and it would be very visible by being on a major route through town. If it didn't work out financially in that location, it could be converted into student housing in the future. The proposed hotel near the parking deck is great, but will be in a secluded area on a much less traveled street with no visibility for visitors to Greenville. Only visitors that are very familiar with Greenville will know it exist, if built.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:16 PM

1,069 posts, read 985,225 times
When they tore everything on that corner down, I'd heard it was going to be a hotel. I don't think they could sustain one there now with the other one going downtown.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:49 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,360,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
When they tore everything on that corner down, I'd heard it was going to be a hotel. I don't think they could sustain one there now with the other one going downtown.
Don't be so sure. The nice thing about getting one is that many times others follow.

In Wilmington they finished a Courtyard downtown on a small corner of 2nd St a few years ago. Now, a new Hampton is going in catty corner to the Courtyard. An Embassy Suites is getting ready to be built on the waterfront...across the street a Hotel Indigo is going in.

These chains compete with each other like McDonalds and Burger King back in the day.

FWIW, I don't agree with a hotel being the best use of that property on Evans and 10th. I could see another Mixed Use Apartment building though. And the real question is what is Evans from 10th to Reade going to look like in the future. The Museum of Art is probably the only building safe in that stretch from re-development. I could see a hotel on the corner of Reade and Evans between the Federal Courthouse and Museum of Art instead of the two restaurants.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:09 PM

181 posts, read 185,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I think it really depends on what kind of office space we're talking in the millennial campus, as well as uptown. I think that alongside business/personal travel at ECU, and business travel for Vidant/manufacturing north of the river would be able to sustain 2 hotels downtown.

So many people stay in Raleigh and then wake up early to drive to Greenville for business travel. I used to be one of them when I worked/lived in Charlotte. Hell, that's not to mention the people that work at Vidant and live in RDU (different subject).

As Greenville stands right now though, no you're right.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:54 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,004,031 times
From WNCT. Greenville installs electric car chargers

Quote:
GREENVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) – Happening Thursday, the city of Greenville gets a little more green.

The mayor is announcing the installation of the city’s first public charging stations for electric cars.

The two new charging stations will be located here in the Fourth Street parking deck, giving electric car drivers a free option to fill up in uptown. The stations will be fully funded by a donation from Greenville Nissan.

Right now, the only electric car charging stations in eastern North Carolina are in Hookerton and Wilson.

Greenville Nissan’s Matt Murchison said he expects the project to bring in more drivers interested in electric cars.

“You definitely see people asking about them,” said Matt Murchison, Greenville Nissan. “They’re always interested in how far you can drive in an electric vehicle. There’s options on that as well. It’s pretty neat. It’s definitely the way of the future.”

The mayor is holding a press conference about the new initiative Thursday morning at 10.

It’s just one piece of Greenville’s new focus on environmental friendliness.

Several city vehicles are electric and the mayor said they plan to buy more. They’re even considering how to incorporate it into public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina