U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 09:19 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,005,562 times

Advertisements

Just a reminder, Pirate Fest is this weekend in Greenville. Pirate Fest for more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 11:32 AM

1,070 posts, read 986,823 times
For the old timers

Is Piratefest what used to be the Purple & Gold Pigskin Pigout? I miss the bbq plates.

edit: no nevermind, it still exists, it is next weekend. I think I assumed it went away when Piratefest started. Oops. The google is your friend.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:41 PM

839 posts, read 1,040,413 times
I've never understood why they don't do them the same weekend & make it one big event. The Pigskin Pigout has really lost its appeal in my opinion over the past 5 years...not what it use to be.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:00 PM

1,070 posts, read 986,823 times
When I was a kid the Pigout had carnival rides. I think maybe Piratefest is that component of it? It doesn't really make sense to do it on two separate weekends.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:35 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,059,865 times
Greenville City Council to consider resolution in response to HB2

Old 04-11-2016, 07:10 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,364,833 times
The State Legislature has a long standing history of stripping municipal authority from its cities. When Charlotte passed a anti-smoking policy in its restaurants (and Wilmington wanted it too), the state said they can't do that...and then did it state wide. Everyone knows about the annexation law change that affected every municipality in the state. The state is now saying no muni can pass an anti discriminatory law that is stronger than the state passes.

It goes way back to zoning laws etc...NC is State run...and always has been. It's Dillon's rule.

If Greenville wanted to do something, they should call up the mayors/council of the 9 other biggest cities in NC and pass something all together...that would make a statement, at least nationally, so they don't get penalized by State rule in the public eye. Its the incorporated/unincorporated divide politically rearing its ugly head. The cities in NC are continually growing...but not in their authority. Most elected officials to State Legislature don't even consider local politics, because the State controls the Muni's authority anyway...and does so in a partisan manner, whereas muni races are nonpartisan.

I wouldn't count on this resolution doing anything. And I wouldn't count on THIS State Legislature to back down from its stance that they control everything.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:54 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,005,562 times
Seems like Pirate Fest went well this year, despite the chilly weather.

Saw a few pics on FB about the Smashmouth concert being well attended.

I was in Cary at the Beer & Bacon fest this weekend (at Koka Booth Amphitheater), the great crowd at the B&B fest and the pic above makes me wish Greenville had an actual amphitheater or outdoor music and festival space. The photo above could be a reality for the city on a monthly or weekly basis in the warmer months.

Last edited by michealbond; 04-11-2016 at 09:18 AM..

Old 04-11-2016, 08:48 AM

839 posts, read 1,040,413 times
^ this goes to show that if Greenville had an actual legit amphitheater in the Town Common and had any relevant shows people would come in droves. It was extremely windy & cold to me on Saturday so I didn't drag my kids out there...but it seems others didn't care. Nice to see a good crowd on hand. Maybe they can figure out a way to get a name band come to Pirate Fest each year. I would love to have more live music uptown, especially at the Commons.

I know there is a non-alcohol policy on the Town Commons, but I don't see why they couldn't do some sort of special use permit for events like a concert.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:36 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,364,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
^ this goes to show that if Greenville had an actual legit amphitheater in the Town Common and had any relevant shows people would come in droves. It was extremely windy & cold to me on Saturday so I didn't drag my kids out there...but it seems others didn't care. Nice to see a good crowd on hand. Maybe they can figure out a way to get a name band come to Pirate Fest each year. I would love to have more live music uptown, especially at the Commons.

I know there is a non-alcohol policy on the Town Commons, but I don't see why they couldn't do some sort of special use permit for events like a concert.
Exactly. All you have to do is section off the area and then manage the sales. Wilmington does it in a Community College parking lot and will be using a city park in the near future.

The idea behind an alcohol ban is they didn't want people bringing coolers down there and drinking all day. Two different things.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:10 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,190,506 times
There's been talk about LIMITED alcohol sales in the Town Commons. It would be a good thing.

I wish Piratefest would choose their weekend, with a regional mindset as well. The Azalea Festival in Wilmington was also this weekend. It is a bigger draw, and could poach some people from attending Piratefest. Plus I still don't understand why Piratefest & Pigskin preview isn't the same weekend. Combine forces and offer stuff to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina