U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 12:57 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,007,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
There's been talk about LIMITED alcohol sales in the Town Commons. It would be a good thing.

I wish Piratefest would choose their weekend, with a regional mindset as well. The Azalea Festival in Wilmington was also this weekend. It is a bigger draw, and could poach some people from attending Piratefest. Plus I still don't understand why Piratefest & Pigskin preview isn't the same weekend. Combine forces and offer stuff to everyone.
I think the issue was attendance the years that Pirate Fest & the P&GPPGPGPPPG! ran on the same weekend were spread between the two. In theory, some people were choosing between going downtown or making the 2 mile trip to Dowdy Ficklen to go to the Pigskin Pigout & Spring Game. I'm guessing it also spread the volunteers thin that would probably want or try to work both events.

But I think that happens anyway when the two events are held a week apart, maybe even more so. People from out of town are going to choose one over the other.

They probably should add more events, but the festival is still growing. Maybe add a "Dress like a Pirate" 5k/10k/fun run event to add a bunch of people to the area in the mornings? Adding another blocked off street to the event with more vendors?

Maybe add a headlining concert at the Convention center the evening of the Saturday of PirateFest would be something good as well.

I think both entities should work together as closely as possible without merging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 01:13 PM

840 posts, read 1,041,850 times
I have wondered for awhile why they have PirateFest on Friday evening & Saturday instead of Sat / Sunday?

Old 04-11-2016, 01:13 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,370,961 times
A week apart is to close in my opinion. Two weeks at a minimum...maybe eve push PirateFest to first weekend in May.

A run would make sense as long as it begins and ends Uptown, which is the point of PirateFest...to get people Uptown (so no convention center concerts). I think you do it AFTER ECU's final exams, which is when the students will tend to leave the downtown area and the businesses need the business.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:07 PM

HP, good points. A run could/would definitely start and end in uptown.

I'd say my vision of the Pigskin Pigout & PirateFest would is that it would become ECU's unofficial "spring" homecoming. I think it should include students because that will help plant seeds in Students heads to come back year after year after they have left Greenville to pursue their careers.

I would only suggest the convention center to hold the larger, higher paid acts there for now. It looks like Pirate Fest cuts off about 7pm on Saturday (carnival ends & no other musical acts). The "big" concert could still be held after all that and still keep the uptown theme of the event. I thought the big Azalea fest acts used to perform at the airport. It looks like they have brought it downtown. Great idea, but I don't know if Greenville could hold it at the current Amphitheater.

For the festival to grow, I believe it's going to have to become a city-wide event, not just an uptown event. The Azalea festival has events all over Wilmington, not just downtown.

Speaking of outdoor venues, I really have a vision for a triangle shaped patch of land in uptown. It's right on dickinson ave between GO Science Center and the All Star screen printing building . It currently has only a few automotive repair shops (Tony's Automotive, Greenville Automotive, etc.) and what appears to be inactive train tracks. I'd love to see that cleared off and possibly turned into an open space suitable for special events (Summer movies, concerts, small festivals) or just general civic use.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:32 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,370,961 times
I would say if you really want a big festival that using Minges for a concert on THURSDAY night would work...that is what Azalea does...had the Avett Bros this year on Thursday.

Your idea is to bring folks in for the weekend or keep them there. A big concert on Thursday, Friday night at Five Points and Saturday at the Town Common. Azalea went to three on subsequent nights and has been lucky not to have one rained out, but all are downtown. They were having the concerts at Trask Coliseum for awhile.

Moving it later may allow for the river to be utilized more as well...something people have chimed in about here. I think it would be a good kickoff tot he summer concert series at the Common. May 7th is the first concert...why not have a Festival that weekend and kickoff from there.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:45 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,196,893 times
Hopefully this wont derail the thread, but

Greenville City Council passes resolution to oppose House Bill 2 law

Old 04-11-2016, 07:55 PM

227 posts, read 205,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Good. Nice to see Greenville get ahead of this. Hopefully other cities start to follow suit. Every major city needs to give a big **** you to the NCGA.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:39 AM

294 posts, read 272,584 times
As I understand it, Piratefest has set its date and the P&G game moves each year. In the past Piratefest has been stuck overlapping other area festivals when trying to follow the P&G game around. According to some of the conversations i had this weekend they are working on serving alcohol on Town Common. It has been a baby step process, testing the waters with alcohol at the grog garden, then expanding a block or two, then all the way down to TC. They'll get there.

With regard to the amphitheater I think you position it to make better use of the area and give a bigger audience a view of the stage. I also think turning so it was a little more parallel to the river could encourage people to come out in their boats and enjoy live music.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:48 AM

840 posts, read 1,041,850 times
ECU moves forward with Millennial campus | WNCT

Quote:
ECU is moving ahead with a research campus, which will be the only one of its kind in the east.
“It’s a great thing for East Carolina; it’s a great thing for our students. I think it will be great for Greenville and for eastern North Carolina,” said ECU Chancellor Steve Ballard. He says this is good change for the university. “The millennial campus is economic development, jobs and student opportunities. We do that in hundreds of ways but this campus will make it easier and will make it faster. “
The renovation will start in Haynie building on 10th and Greene Street. ECU plans is to focus on STEAM, known as Science, Technology, Engineering, Math and Arts and design.
Mayor Allen Thomas says he’s happy that everyone is working together to make Greenville a prime location.”It tells me that they see the progress and the potential between East Carolina and Greenville, and Vidant all working together.”
The approval for ECU allows private companies to build what will be called the East Carolina Research and Innovation Campus.
“This is another tremendous economic boom opportunity for Greenville and East Carolina. It takes the gloves off the university and allows them to bring in private investment on a level that we only seen on the campus of NC State and other parts on the western part of North Carolina,” Thomas said.
Chancellor says he’s excited about the future. “In 50 years we want to be like NC state in terms of their centennial campus, but it takes time.”
Currently, there are seven other millennial campuses tied to the UNC system.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:21 AM

From WITN:

Quote:
The speed limit on a major roadway in two counties in the east has been raised.

The speed limit between Greenville and Washington on Highway 264 is now 60. It was 55.

The 60 limit extends from near North Campus Crossing in Pitt County along 264 until close to Washington in Beaufort County.
Little late in the game now. I don't know many people that go 55 on that road anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina